IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

F-Sport Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 11:54 AM
vintagebob
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport Decisions

I’m thinking about adding the Intake, Shocks & Springs and maybe the Sway Bars. For you folks that have added the F-sport equipment are you happy with your choice now? Did the firmer ride, floaty bumps, clunk noise wear you down to the point where you wish you had just left the car stock?

I had Bilsteins on an 83 VW GTI, a Koni spring/shock set on an 86 VW Golf and Tokicos on a 94 Acura Integra so I have some idea of what I’ll be getting into. The Koni kit on the 86 Golf lowered the car too so I have some experience with that as well.
Old 09-23-08, 11:58 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Very happy with all the F-Sport parts I have and there is no way I'm not going back to stock just because of the issues you mentioned.
Old 09-23-08, 12:00 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

f sport intake very happy...but always WOT so gas is
Old 09-23-08, 12:52 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

time to install the intake...heh....
Old 09-23-08, 01:00 PM
vintagebob
Rookie

Hey thanks, that helps some. After spending hours reading through all of the threads I could find I wasn't sure if folks were really happy with the choice. One person originally thought the suspension/sway setup was perfect, then it was a little harsh and then it seemed like they were wishing for coilovers instead.

I'll be headed to Las Vegas from the Bay Area in a few weeks which means some fast turns on the west side of Pacheco Pass (152) followed by some sweeps on the east side and then the fast sweeps run through the Tehachapies on 58. Of course you still have to deal with long boring sections of I-5 and I-15.

I'm leaning towards the F-Sport upgrades right now.
Old 09-23-08, 02:21 PM
vintagebob
Rookie

Now that's depressing. My dealer quoted me $4500 for intake, shocks, springs and sways.
Old 09-23-08, 02:26 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Buy the parts at one of our vendors (ex. Sewell or Carson) and get them installed at another dealer, independent shop or do it yourself if that is possible. BTW, which dealer did you talk to?
Old 09-23-08, 02:28 PM
Dogmeat
Driver

holy crap. sewell lexus you can get all those for $1,515.14 + shipping.

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...0&all=Y&view=Y

If you wait a bit sewell might have a sale on some of these items.
Old 09-23-08, 02:48 PM
vintagebob
Rookie

This was from the local San Jose dealership where I bought the car. I was hoping to get out the door for less than 3K so I wasn't prepared for a 50% mark-up to my guess. $155/hr labor rates didn't help much. I guess everything is more expensive in the Bay Area. I could probably order the parts and have an independent shop do the work but I was hoping to have this done with my 1000 mile service and have everything set for my trip in a few weeks. Maybe this is a sign.
Old 09-23-08, 03:14 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

If you order the parts online and have it installed at a dealership, your $3k budget is still very possible. As already pointed out, having it installed at an independent shop instead would be even cheaper.
Old 09-23-08, 03:26 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vintagebob
This was from the local San Jose dealership where I bought the car. I was hoping to get out the door for less than 3K so I wasn't prepared for a 50% mark-up to my guess. $155/hr labor rates didn't help much. I guess everything is more expensive in the Bay Area. I could probably order the parts and have an independent shop do the work but I was hoping to have this done with my 1000 mile service and have everything set for my trip in a few weeks. Maybe this is a sign.
You mean 10,000 service not 1,000 correct? Yeah you should by all your stuff from Carson Toyota (I live about 5 minutes away from them, the dealership just got remodel it's sooooo BBBBIIIIGGG) then a independent shop shouldn't charge you more than 1,000 dollars to do all the install...You should consider installing the intake yourself and save couple of bucks, it's not hard to install intakes specially if you have the direction in front of you! You can always ask if some around your area can help you too!!
Old 09-23-08, 03:31 PM
vintagebob
Rookie

No, I actually meant the 1000 mile service.

Carson Toyota is a thought. I actually bought my 2004 Prius from Carson Toyota. I flew down to Long Beach and drove it back to San Jose.
Old 09-23-08, 04:12 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

vintagebob> remember the lowered silver is350 next to your 2is? that was me.

are you set on f-sport parts? if not, you do have quite a few aftermarket options...

and if you are set on f-sport parts, are you going to have the dealership work on your car (for warranty purposes)? because if not, any reputable speed shop in the bay area (check your regional forum for recommendations) should be able to do the work and not charge an arm and a leg.
Old 09-23-08, 04:42 PM
ApoK
Rookie

I agree with projectdna. It's almost sheer lunacy to pay the outrageous prices the stealership wants to charge you for a few basic upgrades. I asked for a quote on F-sport springs and the local dealer quoted me for $1100 for the install only!! I ended up buying tien s-techs and getting them installed at a reputable shop for only $400, including parts and labor. I also bought an F-sport intake for only $400 for parts and labor.

$4500 is THEFT. Don't do it man!!
Old 09-23-08, 05:20 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The intake could be installed in a driveway by a moderately well trained monkey.

The sway bars by a very well trained one, or any reasonably literate human :P

The springs and shocks are a bit more work and you might as well find a decent shop for those (personally I'm happy sticking with the sport suspension and just the F-sport sways).

Quick Reply: F-Sport Decisions