IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Back seat room

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-05, 09:40 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Back seat room

Has anyone seen any interior head/shoulder/leg room measurements for the new IS?? With growing boys (and the occasional adult passengers), rear seat room is something of a priority with me (or at least, SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED).
Old 04-12-05, 10:46 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooretorque
Has anyone seen any interior head/shoulder/leg room measurements for the new IS?? With growing boys (and the occasional adult passengers), rear seat room is something of a priority with me (or at least, SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED).
Even with measurements you won't really be able to really tell about space until you sit in it. From a few ft away it seemed reasonable back there.
Old 04-12-05, 12:19 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

True, but with measurements I can compare (sort of) to my GS..............just have to wait a few months till one hits my dealer's floor and then, all will be revealed.
Old 04-12-05, 01:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think the rear room will be something like the current gen. just like how it compares to the gs, must be smaller and less room in the back. imho that's going to be small then. i sat in the back of my is300 once (3 people in the back), it's no fun, far from my gs4
Old 04-12-05, 01:37 PM
T2Green
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the same boat, mooretorque. With two kids, rear seat room is something that has to be considered when purchasing a new car. I really like the new IS350 better than the new GS (more power, better looks, less expensive), but I've got to have descent rear seat room & luggage space, something comparable to the Infiniti G35. I hope the new IS350 will be closer to the size of the new GS than to the old IS300. But having the new GS as a second choice is not a bad situation. I'll just have to save a few more months to afford one.
Old 04-12-05, 02:30 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by T2Green
I'm in the same boat, mooretorque. With two kids, rear seat room is something that has to be considered when purchasing a new car. I really like the new IS350 better than the new GS (more power, better looks, less expensive), but I've got to have descent rear seat room & luggage space, something comparable to the Infiniti G35. I hope the new IS350 will be closer to the size of the new GS than to the old IS300. But having the new GS as a second choice is not a bad situation. I'll just have to save a few more months to afford one.
The IS350 is 7 inches shorter, 1.5 inches lower, and 2 inches wider than the G35.

Its wheelbase is 4.7 inches shorter than the G35.
Old 04-12-05, 06:20 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Elsewhere on this forum, the second gen IS is listed with ~5" more wheelbase than the current one so life in back may be better than before. T2, the real problem is adults. Kids don't mind folding into very limited spaces (of course, it helps if it's another kid's car.........I'm of an age where I spent a lot of my teenage years in the back seat, either with date or other friend, of various early model Mustangs and Camaros, and neither getting in, out, or riding was much of a problem).

Even my GS (and the 3rd gen is no better) is not particularly generous with rear seat leg room, and I'm only 5'8".

Ah, well, speculation gives us something to do until the new one gets here (and the anticipation was always the most fun part of Christmas to me, anyway!!).
Old 04-12-05, 06:35 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

I wonder if the rear seat leg room will be more or less than the 3 series since this is it's rival. I have an E46 and there is not much leg room for adults for long trips, better for small kids.

I noticed that the rear outside door is shaped rather small (opening) which usually tells you something. The rear doors are almost as small looking as my E46.

I highly doubt that the IS350 will have the same rear room as the new GS, the IS will probably be smaller. Remember the NY auto show they said it would have more room than the previous IS but that doesn't really tell us figures yet.
Old 04-13-05, 05:40 AM
T2Green
Driver School Candidate

After some research, I found a good car to compare the new IS to, based on exterior dimensions - the Volvo S60. The new IS is 0.1" shorter, 0.1" narrower, 0.1" shorter, and has a 0.6" longer wheelbase. Interior dimensions are listed below. Of vehicles available now, the S60 should give a good idea of the interior room of the new IS. The trunk capacity of the S60 is promising. I don't expect the new IS to match the S60's 13.9cf, but maybe it will match the 12cf in the new BMW 3-series. Hopefully the longer wheelbase in the IS will make for more rear legroom than in the S60.

2005 Volvo S60 interior dimensions:
head (f/r): 38.9"/37.9"
shoulder: 56.2"/55.5"
hip: 55.0"/54.6"
leg: 42.6"/33.3"
trunk: 13.9cf
Old 04-13-05, 08:20 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Well for whats it's worth, I've been in the S60 and it's rear compartment is cramped...I'm 5' 11". Getting in was an issue and within a few minutes of being in the car, I felt like stretching my legs. Big change from my ES300. In my opinion, the rear leg room is the only thing that's keeping me from an IS...I'd love to get a stick again.
Old 04-13-05, 01:48 PM
Ratman009
Driver

Default This might help a bit

Back seat room/trunk room is a key concern for me as well. With the "threat" of a family soon, I've got to consider back seat leg room/trunk size. At the NY auto show, I was able to get one of the product reps (Wayne, I believe) to give me a quick little demo. Wayne is about 6'1." He was kind enough to get in the driver's seat for me and adjust the seat to normal driving position. I then had him get into the back seat with the driver's seat in HIS driving position. I'm about 6'2" so this was a pretty good demo for me. He was able to fit pretty well in the back seat. There is at least 2" more rear leg room than the current IS, which is frankly a joke (unless the driver is like 5'0". He was able to get in and out of the car fairly easily, so I have pretty high hopes that the seat will be big enough (though not large by any sense of the word). My wife snapped some pictures of him in the back seat, so I'll try to post them here when I get home tonight.

Also, from the demo I got from Wayne, comparing the back seat to the S60 is a bad idea. I recently test drove an S60R (damn nice car by the way), and after finishing up my drive I then proceeded to attempt to get into the back seat (my little test for leg room - hell if I can sit behind myself comfortably, again I'm 6'2" then the back seat is definitely big enough). Well, I couldn't even get in the car. It was amazing. The car looks bigger than an E46 3-series, but it is even smaller. I can actually sit behind myself in an E46 (I have to splay my knees out to the side a bit), and the new E90 has even more leg room (but less head room and absolutely no room for your feet???) The E90 does feel quite a bit wider in the back seat, even though they only added like 1.5" of additional interior width.

To make a long story short, I think the IS250/350 will have a big enough back seat for most of us. Didn't get to see the trunk (they were saying it was not "production ready" but Wayne said it was quite a bit bigger. I doubt it is 12.0 cubic feet like the E90, but it should be similar in size to the E46 (except that the rear seat will not fold down - why not? it is such a useful feature, hell, I'd pay an extra $500 for the convenience).
Old 04-13-05, 05:30 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Originally Posted by Ratman009
My wife snapped some pictures of him in the back seat, so I'll try to post them here when I get home tonight.

Great can't wait to see these pics,
Old 04-13-05, 05:39 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

I wonder if the front seats are in a normal mode or pushed up far? If normal setting than this gives us an idea of what it looks like although pics are deceiving.

Old 04-13-05, 05:53 PM
1Violinist
Driver School Candidate

Looks like the front seats are pushed back. On average they usually line up with the B-pillar.
Old 04-13-05, 09:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

not on my is300 when i am at the "right" position for myself, the seat back is a bit past the b pillar. but i know i recline my seat quite a bit when driving, just my style.

on my gs4, the seat is before the b pillar

i am only 5'7"

Quick Reply: Back seat room