IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A Very Very Sad Day Indeed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-15, 10:21 PM
ISPearl08
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A Very Very Sad Day Indeed.

Today my poor Lexi has succumbed to the hazards of my ****ty work commute. The rise of morons on the road have reached a new high causing my car to become a statistic. Just as I was approaching the EZPASS lane on the Tappan Zee Bridge in Westchester NY, a tragedy occurred. It seems the driver of a tractor trailer decided he didn't need to use his signal to switch lanes and invaded my lane suddenly. A guy in a pickup in front of me was about to get side swiped by this douchebag so he reacted swiftly by braking hard. I did the same and before I could achieve a full stop a woman behind me bashed right into me causing the IS to propel into the pickup.

I then resumed driving forward into a holding area off the bridge and out of the traffic's path with the guy in the pickup. Much to my surprise the ***** behind me decided to flee the scene. After hours of police reporting and towing, the car is at a trusted body shop and awaiting the insurance agent for an estimate. Fingers crossed she is not totaled. Both the tow and body guy assured me it shouldn't be and that it could be fixed up good as new. It was luckily hit high enough to not cause frame damage. Thanks to the pickup's height and my IS being lowered hehe!

Looking at the car though was so heartbreaking. Just a month ago she was in all her glory after the recent mods I did on her. I posted photos of her on here to show her off and to break the awesome news about making it on Vossen's website. It pains me to post the carnage pics, but I must share them with my fellow IS owners. The worst part is that I partially blame myself. I felt like I gave her the kiss of death. I recently installed the F-sport grill over the weekend. Today I placed the finishing touch on it which was the Lexus logo/emblem. It was cursed! UGH! Hopefully, the car will get fixed and look like new soon. Miss her already.

Old 06-04-15, 10:24 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sad to see. Hope you are ok.

Last edited by MWIS350; 06-04-15 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-04-15, 10:37 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to see. Did the air bags go off?
Old 06-05-15, 04:49 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A Very Very Sad Day Indeed.

Glad your ok. I'm in NYC to I saw that accident on the news wow. Hope your car gets back. I use that Highway sometimes to go palisades mall.
Old 06-05-15, 06:07 AM
mcastro
Driver School Candidate

So sad it happened but glad you are OK. I also take the Tappan Zee bridge to work every morning. Trucks are always cutting in in the last minute to take the left express EZpass lanes, they don't care if you are next to them, they just merge right into your lane! Typical bully attitude! I avoid this by staying to the right.

Keep us posted on your car's progress and good luck!
Old 06-05-15, 07:07 AM
Awd250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn sucks to see that! Glad your ok though..if the car doesn't total out mayb the only good thing out of it is a new front end conversion..
Old 06-05-15, 07:22 AM
vicsis250
Pole Position

Sucks man I hope you get your car back and it's not a total loss.
Old 06-05-15, 08:34 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

How fast were you and the person behind you going? Front end dmg seems pretty serious. That sucks. The whole front end on top of the bumper got pushed in. Something similar to this happened to my 1IS and it got written off T_T. Goodluck I hope its not a total loss.
Old 06-05-15, 08:45 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

If the insurance company wants to, they might be able to gain video footage of the accident from the toll area to find out who rear-ended you.

To me, it doesn't appear totaled; unless airbags went off, I'd say the costs of the repair will be <75% of the value of the car.

Glad you're ok though! Scary!
Old 06-05-15, 09:35 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear a fellow member in an accident. Glad to hear that you are OK.

Hopefully the car will be fixed ASAP.
Old 06-05-15, 09:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to hear about the crash, but very glad to hear you were not hurt.
Old 06-05-15, 10:25 AM
ISPearl08
Rookie

Originally Posted by MWIS350
Sad to see. Hope you are ok.
That it was. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Sorry to see. Did the air bags go off?
Luckily they did not.

Originally Posted by Ants250
Glad your ok. I'm in NYC to I saw that accident on the news wow. Hope your car gets back. I use that Highway sometimes to go palisades mall.
Yeah I'v been to that massive mall several times. Always pass it going to work. Thank you.

Originally Posted by mcastro
So sad it happened but glad you are OK. I also take the Tappan Zee bridge to work every morning. Trucks are always cutting in in the last minute to take the left express EZpass lanes, they don't care if you are next to them, they just merge right into your lane! Typical bully attitude! I avoid this by staying to the right.

Keep us posted on your car's progress and good luck!
I always am on the lookout for them cause they tend to be a-holes. No way to avoid it this time though due to the traffic pattern and situation. Will do thanks!

Originally Posted by Awd250
Damn sucks to see that! Glad your ok though..if the car doesn't total out mayb the only good thing out of it is a new front end conversion..
I actually thought about it, but I think insurance will only cover/document OEM stuff unfortunately. Thank you though.

Originally Posted by vicsis250
Sucks man I hope you get your car back and it's not a total loss.
Thanks, we'll see what the insurance co. says.

Originally Posted by Zynthe
How fast were you and the person behind you going? Front end dmg seems pretty serious. That sucks. The whole front end on top of the bumper got pushed in. Something similar to this happened to my 1IS and it got written off T_T. Goodluck I hope its not a total loss.
I'd say probably between 30-40mph. Looks worse than it is I was told. Pickup trucks are built like tanks. His damage was very minimal. State trooper didn't even notice it until I pointed it out LOL!

Originally Posted by Gville350
If the insurance company wants to, they might be able to gain video footage of the accident from the toll area to find out who rear-ended you.

To me, it doesn't appear totaled; unless airbags went off, I'd say the costs of the repair will be <75% of the value of the car.

Glad you're ok though! Scary!
Yeah I was told similar that it shouldn't be totaled. No airbags deployed thankfully. I asked the state trooper doing the report about the cams and EZPass and she said they were unreliable. Bridge cams do not record and EZPass is inconsistent. Says a lot!

Originally Posted by Initial G
Sorry to hear a fellow member in an accident. Glad to hear that you are OK.

Hopefully the car will be fixed ASAP.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Sorry to hear about the crash, but very glad to hear you were not hurt.
Thanks a bunch buddy!
Old 06-05-15, 12:42 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Glad to hear you're okay!
Old 06-05-15, 01:31 PM
ISPearl08
Rookie

Originally Posted by sthakor92
Glad to hear you're okay!
Thank you!
Old 06-05-15, 06:34 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't tell you for sure because I haven't seen underneath your rear bumper but I was in a similar accident, I was pushed from behind into a pick up and my car had less damage in the front, long story short insurance totaled it, and none of my air bags went off as well.

Quick Reply: A Very Very Sad Day Indeed.