Search this Thread

Old 02-14-15, 05:09 AM
CaptDank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown oem HID ballast

Hey guys. Done a quick search but looking for more concrete input

Is250 2007 80k miles.

So I noticed the other day I had a headlight out, passenger side. When I bought the car 6 months ago, I replaced both HID bulbs with Phillips brand when I converted my fog lights to HID

The on/off trick seems to work, but only did it once.

In my search, some people found results with a new bulb, but since mine are new and better quality and considering the age of the car, ballast a more reasonable conculsion?

Thanks for the input, and maybe a sticky/fyi /faq since our generation is getting older, just a though

Thanks!
Old 02-14-15, 06:27 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

If you did any significant amount of searching about this, it's likely you saw the recommendation of swapping the left and right bulbs to determine whether the problem is the bulbs or the ballast. It's a definitive test to see whether the problem is a bad bulb or a bad ballast, and much more sensible than replacing expensive parts based on an educated guess.
Old 02-14-15, 10:22 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you could put in the old lamps and see if that works.
Old 02-14-15, 11:46 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptDank

Thanks for the input, and maybe a sticky/fyi /faq since our generation is getting older, just a though

Thanks!
basic troubleshooting swapping out the bulbs side to side or swap in known good bulb in place of faulty one... same method since 90's when HID came out.

i normally have spare known good bulb as back-up. easier to swap in known good bulb then to swap side to side.
Old 02-14-15, 01:00 PM
CaptDank
Driver School Candidate

Sorry missed a line on my original post, what is the typical longevity for the ballast? I know I need to Check my grounds to see if any of them need maintenance

Also how did you get to the passenger side bulb? It seems I order to get enough leverage I would have to loosen the air box
Old 02-15-15, 06:35 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yup u gotta move out the air box... but if you had a Takeda intake it would be wide open ^_^

Ballasts last a while and for those that do go bad it's few and far between.
Old 02-15-15, 11:10 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptDank
Sorry missed a line on my original post, what is the typical longevity for the ballast? I know I need to Check my grounds to see if any of them need maintenance

Also how did you get to the passenger side bulb? It seems I order to get enough leverage I would have to loosen the air box
Why don't you just try swapping bulbs, as per everyone's advice, then start looking at other possibilities? One thing at a time, start with the easiest test that will verify if it is the bulb or an electrical/ballast issue.
Old 02-16-15, 09:12 PM
dbdynsty25
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar issue. I bought the car from a friend and once I got it home I noticed my drivers side light was out. Turning it off and on worked to get it relit but it didn't stay that way. So I swapped with some aftermarket 6000k bulbs and then they both started going out randomly. I bought some OEM philips bulbs and swapped those out and it seems like I've solved the issue. It's only been a few days but so far so good.

My bet is you got a bad bulb. 85 bucks for a pair of the Philips on Amazon so it's a cheap and easy fix after you've swapped and made sure it actually is the bulbs.
Old 02-17-15, 05:26 AM
skoota500
Rookie

If You find that both bulbs are good by trying them on whichever headlight thats working, you need to replace the bad ballast. I have done it before, and it was definitely the ballast.
Old 02-17-15, 01:52 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dbdynsty25
I had a similar issue. I bought the car from a friend and once I got it home I noticed my drivers side light was out. Turning it off and on worked to get it relit but it didn't stay that way. So I swapped with some aftermarket 6000k bulbs and then they both started going out randomly. I bought some OEM philips bulbs and swapped those out and it seems like I've solved the issue. It's only been a few days but so far so good.

My bet is you got a bad bulb. 85 bucks for a pair of the Philips on Amazon so it's a cheap and easy fix after you've swapped and made sure it actually is the bulbs.
The Amazon bulbs are fake.

Also- it's not hard to swap the ballast. It's mounted on the bottom of the headlight. You need to take the wires out of the connector (part that clips onto the bulb) so you can pull the wires through, then once you transfer the new ballast in you can put the connector back on. joeZ made a video in the LED headlight swap DIY thread.