IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What do 2IS owners think of the 3IS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 05:46 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do 2IS owners think of the 3IS?

For me i still cannot fathom the 3IS, and I probably never will.

I just don't see how the 3IS is an improvement over the 2IS.

We'll start with design;

Exterior; the 2IS debuted in late 2005 and it is arguably one of the most timeless designs around, it looks good and pleasent with perfect lines & proportions.
Lexus added subtle updates for each facelift over the coarse of its lifespan to maintain the design.

Now the 3IS just looks extremley polarising, there is just no coherence with the design, the front, side profile and rear just don't flow. The design elements of the 3IS are just random bits n pieces put together, like those very peculiar looking headlamps.
It also has a more 'cheap' look, such as the much lower beltline (big rear window), black plastic lower rear bumper, cheap looking wing mirrors and door handles.

Interior; cheap, cheap is how I'd describe the 3IS. Low quality materials, awful design and a very cheap door panel. The 2IS looks very upmarket and luxurious in comparison.
The seats on the 3IS are too thin and the rear seats aren't tilted slightly back like how they are on the 2IS, which gives the 2IS a more 'chic' appearance.
Also lighting is another downgrade for the 3IS. On the 2IS Lexus used very cool blue LED lighthing everywhere. Whereas the 3IS has less lighting and uses normal indacent lighting.
The dashboard and entire interior of the 2IS was very 'Lexus' like, which is a good thing.

The doors on the 2IS feel heavier and produce a nice 'lexus' thud when you close them.
The 3IS doors feel very light, flimsy and make a cheaper, more tinny clamping noise when you shut them.

Sound insulation; while there is some tyre noise in my 2IS ( which is expected of any vehicle with 18" wheels) but there is zero wind noise and no engine noise, in fact the same 3.5L 2GR-FSE V6 used in the 3IS sounds smoother and more refined on the 2IS.

For all the weight gain of the 3IS - one wonders where it all went? The 3IS has cheaper and flimsier materials, noisier cabin, the doors are ultra thin & cheap. Overall much less luxury 'aura' and the 3IS actually looks smaller than the 2IS.
Yes there is a little more leg room for the rear occupants, but that's not enough to justify the weight gain.

The underhood layout of the 2IS is completely covered, again enhancing that luxury ambiance. And for the 3IS? You guessed it, just a small cover with the wires and all the parts completely exposed.

Also the trunk/boot hinges of the 2IS are completely covered, whereas the 3IS has a plastic covered hinge, but there is no insulation, so your luggage and items will be impeded by the hinges.

Performance; the 2IS is a faster car, the 3IS is slower by a considerable margin

Overall for me its 2IS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>3IS

Sadly I think the 3IS, 4GS, CT and all these new generation Lexus have changed the original Lexus which we all loved.

Only issue is that for all the 'sporty' theme Akio wants for his cars, one should tell him that he's efforts are half baked. While he's new Toyota's & Lexus may looks more 'sporty', they actually perform much worse than their less sporty and more sedate predecessors. Like for example how the 2IS is outright faster than the 3IS
And thus Lexus has forced many of their fans and customers to look elsewhere.

But my personal theory is that all this is just a result of 'cost cutting' at Toyota.
They have forced their suppliers to cut cost and I guess cheaper materials and lower quality are the results.

Some illustrious examples;

3IS

2IS

2IS door vs 3IS

Last edited by yowps3; 12-27-14 at 05:54 AM.
Old 12-22-14, 05:52 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, lots of cons in the 3IS especially regard the interior. Even though the 2IS is faster than 3IS on straight line, 3IS handles in corners a lot better than the 2IS. I have driven both IS250, IS350 in both generations on autocross where I pushed them to the limit. The 3IS with F Sport package handles very very well right out of the box.

3IS has more accurate steering feel, more predictability in cornering, smoother and better road feel.

Plus, the paddle shifter on 3IS is REAL shifter like the ISF vs. the fake ones on 2IS.

Last edited by FSportIS; 12-22-14 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 06:31 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Yeah, lots of cons in the 3IS especially regard the interior. Even though the 2IS is faster than 3IS on straight line, 3IS handles in corners a lot better than the 2IS. I have driven both IS250, IS350 in both generations on autocross where I pushed them to the limit. The 3IS with F Sport package handles very very well right out of the box.

3IS has more accurate steering feel, more predictability in cornering, smoother and better road feel.

Plus, the paddle shifter on 3IS is REAL shifter like the ISF vs. the fake ones on 2IS.
Yeah in summary, the 2IS makes me feel like I am cocooned and wrapped in a luxury cockpit, with nice touch materials, nice design flow and spectacular lighting all around.
The 3IS cabin feels very cold, dark & 'hollow'

The 3IS is heavier, so naturally it will be better planted on the road. It has the 8-speed auto, but other than the faster reponding paddle shifters, I honestley don't see any other pros over the 6-speed
Old 12-22-14, 06:55 PM
ICU2
Pole Position

I love the 3IS, not enough to buy one though but definitely see it as an improvement over the 2IS. I was given a loaner IS300h the other day and fell in love, so much so that I'm considering a RC350 which has a similar interior to the 3IS.

I drove into Mercedes just then to look at the new C-Class and I commented on where the Mercedes door thud had gone too and they said that Mercedes redesigned the door hinge and spent more money on that then Lexus had spent on the 2IS that I was driving LOL.
Old 12-22-14, 06:56 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up in your detailed descriptions. I've never known those things before. Actually I don't know anything much about the 3IS, so I learn something new. I'll always love my baby 2is350!
Old 12-22-14, 07:24 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 137 Posts

to me handling wise i like the 3IS over the 2IS, power 2IS pulls a lot better than a 3IS, Interior i like both 2IS and 3IS but if only 2IS had those 3IS seats... overall still take 2IS over 3IS cuz the style is Sporty and yet is still Classy even after all these years and with couple of mods u can easily match or out do the handling of a 3IS...
Old 12-22-14, 07:41 PM
rparkzy
Driver

3IS hands down better than the 2IS

Same engine but exterior is aggressive and modern and the interior is a huge upgrade as well especially if you get the Rioja Red interior.
Old 12-22-14, 08:26 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldnt mind upgrading to a 3rd gen 350, but at the MSRP, i would rather get a pre-owned Audi S4
Old 12-22-14, 09:27 PM
statename
Driver School Candidate

The new exterior styling is not my taste, the Predator Maw and nike swoosh leds ruin the car for me.
Lexus seems to be falling behind in both design and tech.

The 3IS feels big and heavy when you drive it, and no engine upgrades? Steering input and shifting is noticeably upgraded but a 2012 isf steering ecu and suspension upgrades on a 2IS make a much more fun car. I think if they fiddled with the 2GR-FSE they could get some more hp out of it, or lower its compression and turbo it, this is the same company that made the 2JZ-GTE right?

The interior in the 3IS seems poorly thought out and i'm not a fan of the digital dash on the f-sport. The mouse or track pad thingy is terrible in the new cars what were they thinking? Whats wrong with a touch screen? The shifter feels like a step back in design and looks and feels like it is out of a Camry or something.

In short 2IS all the way!

Old 12-22-14, 10:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Oh boy where should I start?

3IS will destroy a 2IS on the track. I have tracked both. The suspension, chassis, transmission, electronics are far superior. The way the 2IS handles shifting was a total joke not being true manual mode with the top gear selector programming. This made zero sense in a performance standpoint. 8AT is from the ISF and it shifts way faster in M mode than the 6AT ever did. The C&D lightning lap the 3IS (3:13.4) actually BEAT the 08 ISF did (3:14.0), that is how much better the chassis and suspension are. Yes the drivers and conditions were probably different but shouldnt have made that huge of a difference. That goes to show how far the 3IS chassis/suspension have come. Imagine if they put the 5.0 V8 in the new chassis. FYI the LFA engineers worked on the 3IS when the LFA was finished. 2IS ride is harsher and more jittery, yet the car handled worse. 3IS feels much more comfortable yet it handles better.

Yea 3IS is 66# heavier, theres 3 extra inches of wheelbase. The rear seats have 3 more inches of legroom, and they fold 60/40. Yes the 2IS has a more aggressive rear gear in the differential so it is a tad faster in a 0-60. Doors on 3IS shut far more solid than the 2IS did, and the 3IS is much quieter than the 2IS. Disagree there. The 3IS felt eerily quiet so I got a JoeZ exhaust for it. 3IS suspension stiffens in Sport+ mode. So yes there are places where weight is justified. The seats in the 2IS are trash compared to the F Sport 3IS seats, they sit lower and have much better support. 2IS feels like Im sitting in an ES. My mom uses my 2IS now and when I get back in it to drive it, you can tell the differences immediately.

2IS engine bay being covered was something I do not miss at all. Made it a pain to work on that car since I had to remove 20 clips and multiple covers. Im glad they ditched that on the 3IS.

It is clearly obvious that some here do not have extensive experience with both. I am a rare example of a 2IS and 3IS owner that still has the 2IS around for a direct comparison. There is a reason why the 3IS beat the 335 in some tests and the 2IS never got close. The only thing I miss from the 2IS is how aggressive the rear diff gearing was.
Old 12-22-14, 10:22 PM
ISland350
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont have an opinion really, just love my 2IS
Old 12-23-14, 12:05 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

3IS>2IS in fact I'm looking for one now that my 2IS is gone.
Old 12-23-14, 12:05 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Oh boy where should I start?

3IS will destroy a 2IS on the track. I have tracked both. The suspension, chassis, transmission, electronics are far superior. The way the 2IS handles shifting was a total joke not being true manual mode with the top gear selector programming. This made zero sense in a performance standpoint. 8AT is from the ISF and it shifts way faster in M mode than the 6AT ever did. The C&D lightning lap the 3IS (3:13.4) actually BEAT the 08 ISF did (3:14.0), that is how much better the chassis and suspension are. Yes the drivers and conditions were probably different but shouldnt have made that huge of a difference. That goes to show how far the 3IS chassis/suspension have come. Imagine if they put the 5.0 V8 in the new chassis. FYI the LFA engineers worked on the 3IS when the LFA was finished. 2IS ride is harsher and more jittery, yet the car handled worse. 3IS feels much more comfortable yet it handles better.

Yea 3IS is 66# heavier, theres 3 extra inches of wheelbase. The rear seats have 3 more inches of legroom, and they fold 60/40. Yes the 2IS has a more aggressive rear gear in the differential so it is a tad faster in a 0-60. Doors on 3IS shut far more solid than the 2IS did, and the 3IS is much quieter than the 2IS. Disagree there. The 3IS felt eerily quiet so I got a JoeZ exhaust for it. 3IS suspension stiffens in Sport+ mode. So yes there are places where weight is justified. The seats in the 2IS are trash compared to the F Sport 3IS seats, they sit lower and have much better support. 2IS feels like Im sitting in an ES. My mom uses my 2IS now and when I get back in it to drive it, you can tell the differences immediately.

2IS engine bay being covered was something I do not miss at all. Made it a pain to work on that car since I had to remove 20 clips and multiple covers. Im glad they ditched that on the 3IS.

It is clearly obvious that some here do not have extensive experience with both. I am a rare example of a 2IS and 3IS owner that still has the 2IS around for a direct comparison. There is a reason why the 3IS beat the 335 in some tests and the 2IS never got close. The only thing I miss from the 2IS is how aggressive the rear diff gearing was.
Thank you for your input!! Not to mention you have 2 IS350s

I'm aiming to get a 3IS eventually, the car is simply stunning and after reading your review, it makes me want the car even more
Old 12-23-14, 12:24 AM
eloxithack
Driver School Candidate

The 3IS with F Sport package handles very very well right out of the box.[img]**************/40Fxbu[/img]

Last edited by eloxithack; 12-23-14 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-23-14, 08:11 AM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Comparing my brother's 2IS to my 3IS... I still feel like the 3IS is a major upgrade. I love the exterior, but I can understand why many people hate it. I have no comments on cheap wing mirrors, since they look the exact replica of the Lexus LFA.

You said the 2IS interior was very Lexus like. I'm assuming you meant very luxurious? Lets not forget that the Lexus IS is meant to compete against the BMW 3 series and other sports sedan. That's why they had to spice up the interior, the 2IS was getting too boring. Abandon the wood interior and put carbon fiber (again, Lexus LFA gimmick). The 3IS looks more interesting and many reviewers have said the interior looks like a cockpit of a fighter jet lol. The seats on the 3IS felt so much more comfortable then the 2IS, especially with the seats hugging me on the sides.

In terms of speed? Yes, the 2IS is a faster car. But once I broke in my 3IS, I wasn't able to feel the difference. It all feels the same to me now. The big improvement in the car was the chasis. I can make sharp turns in the car and not feel my body flinging around like crazy lol. It's more agile, fun to drive, and driver focused.

Lexus may have gone cheap on us, but they somehow did it in a way where they gave BMW a run for it's money.

Quick Reply: What do 2IS owners think of the 3IS?