IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to see potholes when it's raining?

Old 12-17-14, 11:45 PM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to see potholes when it's raining?

This is a serious question. I have 6k low and fogs right now and I can't see a single thing when it rains so I just pray there's no potholes on the streets I'm unfamiliar with. Besides changing my fogs to 3k to see better, what's another alternative. Will Philips Ultinon 6k make a comparable difference compared to my $100 bulbs. Should I throw on my stock OEM HID bulbs until it stops raining. Too many questions, sorry just need a quick solution. My headlights are yellow just a tad but it shouldn't affect output hat much.

I'm looking for a bulb that'll work well in the rain. Hope someone can relate to this.
Old 12-18-14, 06:36 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my understanding is that a monochromatic light will reduce scatter/increase contrast to some degree (think prism) but don't ask me to explain in any more detail. A 6k light is going to be pretty well balanced in the entire visible spectrum and is one of the worst you could choose. I think xenon is the worst of the bunch, since it is 6500 and very well balanced in spectrum. Those are prized for home theatre lamps, but that isn't what you are after. So a 3k halogen is probably better than a 4300 hid, but the advantage of hid (provided it is oem or done correctly) is that it shines low, so very little light above the horizon and so that doesn't cause as much glare, though I'll admit that probably doesn't help if you are looking for potholes. Sorry, but I'd think yellow fog lights would be your best bet.
Old 12-18-14, 08:55 AM
G4lexboi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 3k hid fogs and I see all pot holes
Old 12-19-14, 03:07 AM
BoyOhBoy
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses but anyone else?
Old 12-19-14, 10:43 AM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1256c
my understanding is that a monochromatic light will reduce scatter/increase contrast to some degree (think prism) but don't ask me to explain in any more detail. A 6k light is going to be pretty well balanced in the entire visible spectrum and is one of the worst you could choose. I think xenon is the worst of the bunch, since it is 6500 and very well balanced in spectrum. Those are prized for home theatre lamps, but that isn't what you are after. So a 3k halogen is probably better than a 4300 hid, but the advantage of hid (provided it is oem or done correctly) is that it shines low, so very little light above the horizon and so that doesn't cause as much glare, though I'll admit that probably doesn't help if you are looking for potholes. Sorry, but I'd think yellow fog lights would be your best bet.

This! I used to live in Daly City near SF and it was Foggy everyday, even in June! I had 3K foglights and it showed the road and guidelines so well I only use 3K in my fogs. Yes they dont look as "cool" as all the blue fog lights around but functionally 3k is the best for fogs.
Old 12-19-14, 12:35 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Retrofit a sonar system into your car. No big deal
Old 12-19-14, 12:36 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

I only drive on roads I'm familiar with and have basically "memorized" the street surface. Any other roads or trips I go on are in my wife's pile. LOL!
Old 12-19-14, 12:56 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Old 12-19-14, 02:50 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
I would basically pull over and take a **** on the side of the road if I hit that.

I usually just watch the cars in front of me for crazy bounces or swerves. Chances are they may know the roads that you don't. 3k fogs for sure helps.
Old 12-19-14, 04:00 PM
ISland350
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I only drive on roads I'm familiar with and have basically "memorized" the street surface. Any other roads or trips I go on are in my wife's pile. LOL!
exactly this...I get nervous driving on an unfamiliar road with the Lex...
Old 12-20-14, 01:45 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
I usually just watch the cars in front of me for crazy bounces or swerves. Chances are they may know the roads that you don't. 3k fogs for sure helps.
This, watch the *** of the car in front of you. If they bump and jostle that means there's a pothole, etc. Easiest way and has never failed me.
Old 12-20-14, 02:17 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Get really bright HID's, sit on the edge of your seat, drive really slow, and clench your butt for the ones you accidentally hit.
Old 12-20-14, 10:28 PM
dragtek1
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Get really bright HID's, sit on the edge of your seat, drive really slow, and clench your butt for the ones you accidentally hit.
Yea lol! The butt clench becomes second nature. Even when I'm a passenger in a big SUV, I still butt clench when the driver goes full speed into a driveway or speed bump.
Old 12-21-14, 10:24 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I understood from the material read, 6000K is good for grabbing the attention of the eye compared to the OEM 4300K and is often why they are used in high powered spotlights (the 6000K color). However, when it comes to viewing details on the road the 4300K is much better at illuminating those details (compared to 5000K and up) and is probably why it's offered as OEM for our cars. For adverse weather like heavy rain/snow it's beneficial to run between 2500~3000K and why most street lights are lit in that particular color.

It seems like you already know the answer to your particular issue (putting in the OEM 4300K lows and or adding 2000k fogs) besides driving slowly and observing the cars ahead of you like what other members already mentioned. Otherwise, the other alternative is to retrofit better projectors into the housing which will be a more long term solution that will cost more.
Old 12-22-14, 01:59 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 396 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Allan1

I laughed so hard I started coughing!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to see potholes when it's raining?