IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Reduce exhaust black soot/dust

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-14, 09:43 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reduce exhaust black soot/dust

I have M2 on IS350 and F Sport on IS250 and the back bumper seems to be filled with black exhaust dust/soot every week or so. The dust build up quicker when I drive the cars hard.The tips of the exhaust got black quickly in few days. It makes the car look dusty on the back. With the OEM exhaust, there is little to no exhaust soot/dust whatover. How do you reduce the amount of black exhaust dust/soot?
Old 10-23-14, 10:01 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Drive like a granny.
Old 10-26-14, 10:21 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

This is like saying "my wheels get brake dust on them, how do I reduce the brake dust"...

It is just something that happens with normal use and something that needs to be removed with routine maintenance.

If you polish and seal your exhaust, it will be very easy to maintain. Simply wash the exhaust tips during your weekly maintenance washes and your tips will clean right up.

If you have neglected to clean them in a while, they may require metal polish which should easily clean up any caked on carbon buildup.
Old 10-27-14, 09:50 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Adam, what would you recommend sealing the exhaust with?

I have the same problem as the OP with my F-sport exhaust. When i had a tanabe it did not attract as much dust as the F sport does. If i polish the exhaust in the morning, then drive around for a few hours, by the of the day the inner exhaust tip will be covered with black residue already.
Old 10-27-14, 11:03 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I have my car Opticoated everywhere so it is relatively easy to clean everywhere with just quick detailer. Everything will be shiny again. I was looking to see how to prevent it rather than keep cleaning the back bumper of the car every 2 days and the tips of the exhaust every day lol. I don't have this problem with the OEM exhaust before but then I won't have the throaty sound again

pmanliu, does it build up more dust faster when you drive hard? I wonder if that is also the case for you.
Old 10-27-14, 02:41 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I have my car Opticoated everywhere so it is relatively easy to clean everywhere with just quick detailer. Everything will be shiny again. I was looking to see how to prevent it rather than keep cleaning the back bumper of the car every 2 days and the tips of the exhaust every day lol. I don't have this problem with the OEM exhaust before but then I won't have the throaty sound again

pmanliu, does it build up more dust faster when you drive hard? I wonder if that is also the case for you.
Yeah, definitely. I might attach a go-pro on my rear bumper on my next road trip just to record it building up and how fast it accumulates.

I seafoamed my car over the weekend, and that completely blackened the inside the muffler. The "dummy" muffler on the f-sport (passenger side?) blows out a lot more residue also.
Old 10-28-14, 09:36 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

pmanliu, if you can record the video, that would be great. Yeah, one side (passenger's side as well) is always way more dirty than the other side. I have been cleaning it for like many years now and got so tired and lazy to do this 2-3 times a week anymore lol. I thought someone can come up with a creative solution.

Regarding brake dust, I also got my wheels dirty so quickly as well (3 days or so) but there is a solution to that. I have ordered Akebono brake pads which will reduce brake dust tremendously.