IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does 2008 IS250 Comes with AFS that Turns Right & Left?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-14, 04:53 PM
dxd1821
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does 2008 IS250 Comes with AFS that Turns Right & Left?

I sent my car to Longo Lexus for water pump & headlight fix (within ext. warranty), and when I got it back last week, I noticed the headlight is not turning right & left according to my steering anymore. So I called and sent the car in again on Monday 9/29, the service rep called me just now said that they called Lexus, and Lexus said the 2008 IS250 does NOT come with "adaptive front lighting system that turns right & left;" the "adaptive lighting system" should only go up & down, which is auto-leveling. He then further said that even the owner's manual said the lighting should only go up & down.

I checked my window sticker (I kept it from the day I bought this car), and it indicates that my car comes with HID Adaptive Front Light System, but does not say if this AFS should go up & down or right & left.

Is this right? I saw the headlight of this car turning left & right before and now the Lexus service dept told me the AFS should only be going up & down??? I checked on internet and every thread told me that AFS means the light turns according to the angel of the steering, and mentioned nothing about up & down (auto-leveling).

What can I do now? It just doesn't make sense to me...
Old 10-02-14, 08:32 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, I have a 2008 IS250 and I have AFS and my lights go right and left when I turn, so they are lying to you.
Old 10-03-14, 10:47 AM
dxd1821
Driver School Candidate

This is horrible and I can't do anything about it, because I checked the owner's manual booklet (hard copy), P.144, and it did not mention about the sterring. However, when I checked the online manual, it does mentioned about "the tire angle that are controlled by steering input"

So now I don't know what to do....
Old 10-03-14, 06:30 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

While at the dealership, have the service adviser toggle through the "satellite" buttons looking for the AFS setting. Obviously if your car has it, it will ask for it to be on or off. Maybe they disconnected the battery during the WP replacement and somehow caused the AFS setting to factory default to the off position?
Old 10-05-14, 06:47 AM
ICU2
Pole Position

If your car has HID from factory then it is equipped with AFS, if it's halogen from factory then it isn't.

An AFS error light should flash on your speedometer if they installed the wrong lights or if the AFS motor is broken.
Old 10-06-14, 03:09 PM
dxd1821
Driver School Candidate

What they are saying now is that the manual only mentioned about "leveling" but not direction; here is the exactly word: "AFS improves visibility at intersections and on curves by automatically adjusting the level of the headlights according to vehicle speed and the degree of the tire angle that are controlled by steering input." So even though it mentioned "steering," the front part of that sentence only mentioned "leveling" but not "direction," and this is what dealer said against me.

Furthermore, they said in order to make the light turn right & left, the headlight requires a different set of motor and my car does not have that motor.

I swear to God this has made me furious but I don't know what to do.

BTW I do have AFS but the warning light is not on, and they said they've checked everything and everything is connected.
Old 10-06-14, 07:27 PM
Gville350

Per my Google search results pulled from a Lexus PDF : "AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System) (if equipped)
AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System) secures excellent visibility at inter- sections and on curves by automatically adjusting the direction of the light axis of the headlights according to vehicle speed and the degree of the tire’s angle as controlled by steering input. AFS operates at speeds of 6 mph (10 km/h) or higher."

Not to mean I can confirm with 100% certainty that 2IS models w/ AFS that is ON will rotate the projector in the direction of the turn...only one projector will rotate in any direction, not both at one time.
Old 10-06-14, 09:38 PM
dxd1821
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much, is this sentence of definition you have here is for a 2008 IS250? Or is it for some other models? If it's for 2008 IS250, can you send me the link? Cuz I can find this sentence online, but it's for different model... thanks!!!
Old 10-07-14, 12:05 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dxd1821
Thank you so much, is this sentence of definition you have here is for a 2008 IS250? Or is it for some other models? If it's for 2008 IS250, can you send me the link? Cuz I can find this sentence online, but it's for different model... thanks!!!
I have a 2008 is250 w/ 117k miles and it has AFS that turns right AND left but one side turns more than the other due to safety. Comparing to BMW's this is where Lexus really falls short...

Now is the dealership the only one that can reactivate this feature? Mine don't move anymore....
Old 10-07-14, 10:54 AM
dxd1821
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if the dealer is the only one who can re-active this feature, but judging from my experience now, they don't admit that this headlight turns right & left., unless manual said so.
Old 10-07-14, 11:49 AM
Gville350

Lexus AFS is the same for all models. I'm beginning to think whomever you're talking to doesn't have a freakin clue! Perhaps get a tech in the garage to answer the question for the service advisor.
Old 10-08-14, 12:37 AM
dxd1821
Driver School Candidate

He said he talked to the foreman and everyone he can find.

In fact, I'm beginning to think that they just don't want to give it to me since it's extended warranty; the less parts they change for me, the more money they make. He's just playing word game to me based on my impression; he even said to me that the manual does not mention "direction" of the light but only states "level" of the light despite the fact that the manual did say "according to the degree of the tire angle that are CONTROLLED BY STEERING INPUT".

He then further told me that "controlled by steering input can also mean that, for example, when we make left turn, the left tire will become lower than the right tire, so the light will adjust its level" <=== does this sound like a normal thing? I mean, OMG, just b/c I'm a woman does not make me any stupider and I have logic. I also can distinguish my light is making adjustment on "leveling" from "direction."

I hate to repeat myself but this is way too ridiculous, and it has been dragging since last Monday. I send in the manual that you told me as a second time proof. If this still doesn't work out, I will have no choice but to tell him that I will have my lawyer to check this case for me.

Thank you all so much for helping me out here, I really appreciate!
Old 10-08-14, 09:55 AM
PilgrimIS
Driver School Candidate

I know there's a change between the 2007/2008 models however here in the UK the 2007/2008 which come with HID (Xenon) lights ALL have Bi-directional lights....up/down/left/right. This is the norm. You can't get Xenon Lexus IS250 with only up/down....I believe they are talking out of their a$$!!

Before contacting your lawyer I would simply contact another dealership and ask to speak to their tech. Have it confirmed and then speak to the guy who knows nothing and ask him to call the guy who actually knows what car he's talking about ;-) I really feel for you dude....I am amazed you haven't been arrested yet! lol
Old 10-08-14, 10:06 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure it isn't just turned off?
Old 10-08-14, 10:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Per my Google search results pulled from a Lexus PDF : "AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System) (if equipped)
AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System) secures excellent visibility at inter- sections and on curves by automatically adjusting the direction of the light axis of the headlights according to vehicle speed and the degree of the tire’s angle as controlled by steering input. AFS operates at speeds of 6 mph (10 km/h) or higher."

Not to mean I can confirm with 100% certainty that 2IS models w/ AFS that is ON will rotate the projector in the direction of the turn...only one projector will rotate in any direction, not both at one time.
^^^THIS. AFS does not mean auto leveing.

Quick Reply: Does 2008 IS250 Comes with AFS that Turns Right & Left?