IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auto tilt-down side mirrors

Old 08-20-14, 01:58 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Auto tilt-down side mirrors

Let me start by saying, yes the mirror switch is in the correct position, ie not in the centre.

So, my issue is that a lot of the times when I put the car in reverse, the passenger side mirror will only tilt down slightly. Then when I go out of reverse it goes back to its normal position. If I manually move the mirror with the button, it has no issues at all going further down.

The problem is intermittent, sometimes it goes all the way down, sometimes it does not. And now recently the driver's side has been doing it as well.

I read somewhere that manually using the button and moving the mirror all the way down until it starts clicking can help free it up. That seems to help sometimes for a short while, but it doesn't take long to start acting up again.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this without replacing the mirrors?
Old 08-20-14, 02:33 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an '07, and as the years have passed, the tilt down has worked less and less, and the frequency with which I had to manually push it up/down a few times to get in back into working order is now at least weekly. Even during the warranty period, I complained to the dealer every time I brought it in, and they never found anything wrong. Just bad design...
Old 08-20-14, 02:47 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 595 Likes on 382 Posts

My driver's one on my 2010 has been messing up for like 2 years (I have put 110k miles on her so far so she was out of warranty after 2yrs!).

Its recently become more frequent--every time I shift from R to D the driver's side mirror keeps on tilting up....click-click-click-click.....sometimes I have t ostop it with the button...sometimes it stops on its own. Either way I always have to press the memory 1 button to get it back to normal position.
Old 08-20-14, 03:34 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try manually adjusting the mirror..it could be set such that the gears (or whatever it is) that controls the up/down left/right are close to their stops..Manaully adjust to 'get it centered' may help..but then again..may not..
Old 08-20-14, 03:38 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
try manually adjusting the mirror..it could be set such that the gears (or whatever it is) that controls the up/down left/right are close to their stops..Manaully adjust to 'get it centered' may help..but then again..may not..
Definitely not the issue. Sometimes just by going back and forth from reverse to drive it can fix it self.

Seems more like the computer thinks that the mirror has hit the end stopper and doesn't try and force it further. The weird thing is that when it goes down slightly and stops, if I manually press down, the mirror goes down further without any hesitation.
Old 08-20-14, 03:39 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

It's really annoying not having this feature because I use the mirrors to get close to the curb without my wheels scratching.
Old 08-25-14, 12:44 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

No one has come up with some sort of clever DIY fix eh?

I may have to try opening and greasing everything up one of these days. I'm a bit scared to pop the mirror off again, the first time (swapping LEDs) I broke a clip on the mirror.
Old 08-25-14, 03:52 PM
Mike285
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always have to readjust my mirrors after I reverse. My drivers side is still pointing at the ground and the passengers side is pointing at the sky. So annoying. Is there anyway to just turn off this feature?
Old 08-25-14, 03:57 PM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine never worked correctly so I set the right to left switch to the center and they don't move at all when going in reverse .
Old 08-25-14, 04:23 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mike285
I always have to readjust my mirrors after I reverse. My drivers side is still pointing at the ground and the passengers side is pointing at the sky. So annoying. Is there anyway to just turn off this feature?
Weird, I have the opposite issue. Mine usually end up back where they should be.

Keep the mirror switch in the centre. ie, not on left or right.
Old 08-25-14, 05:27 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this issue on my driver side mirror as well. I made a post that no one answered.

The GXs have a bulletin about this issue and their fix is to replace the motor in the mirror. That was my next move.

04-08 TLs had this issue. The motor more or less needed to be worked out. So we could manually ratchet the mirrors up and down a few times and the issue was solved
I did this on my IS and it fixed it for about a week
Old 08-25-14, 08:27 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Theres a thread about this issue somewhere. The fix it's to disassemble the mirror and clean and re-oil the gears. I too have this problem but never bothered to fix it. If you know how to switch your mirror courtesy lights to leds then it's easy to take apart the mirror assembly.
Old 08-26-14, 10:02 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

A note for anyone who tries to remove the mirror, make sure the plastic is warm. If it is cold it can become brittle and break off.
Old 08-26-14, 05:59 PM
ADizle350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try keeping it on the left or right.. Should be fine after that
Old 08-26-14, 06:49 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ADizle350
Try keeping it on the left or right.. Should be fine after that
I can't tell if you're fcking with me or serious... Read the VERY first thing I wrote.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto tilt-down side mirrors