IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine Sputtering/almost stalling Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 06:53 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine Sputtering/almost stalling Experience

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

On my way to work this morning, driving my 250 AWD in and around me there are a couple mountain type roads in so i would hit the red-line every now and then just pushing it. Everything is fine but the moment I pulled into the parking lot, it started to sputter pretty bad, check VSC light came on, check engine light was blinking, car would rev past 2500 rpms so Im like freaking out. Stop the car park it and restart the car and everything is fine. No check engine, no VSC, no nothing. Went around the block a few times, and everything is fine. Even checked the codes thinking maybe something got stored and nothing. This one got me a little stumped and thinking its an intermittent thing

I have a 06 250 AWD. at 99k. The only changes was that this morning I put a half can of sea foam into a full tank of gas (premium of course) which I do every 6 months. So im thinking that this may be the culprit for driving it hard right away. Im trying to not believe its the carbon buildup issue since it was done on my car at 69k from the lexus dealership, only 30k miles ago

Last edited by NYKnick101; 07-14-14 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-14-14, 07:09 AM
amw896
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say carbon build up but you just had it done - hmmm.

What is the sea foam about?
Old 07-14-14, 07:22 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

This would lead me to assume that carbon build up could be the culprit, bad fouled out spark plugs, or bad coils. Get the codes checked and we can tell you what we know.
Old 07-14-14, 07:37 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by amw896
I would say carbon build up but you just had it done - hmmm.

What is the sea foam about?
Seafoam is a fuel treatment to prevent carbon buildup and gumming in fuel lines. I've used it in may of cars and in this car every 6 months since i bought it so I doubt its the issue. I know the 250's have carbon issues so its just on my preventative maintenance check list every 6 months

Originally Posted by idoke1
This would lead me to assume that carbon build up could be the culprit, bad fouled out spark plugs, or bad coils. Get the codes checked and we can tell you what we know.
Thats the thing, there are NO codes. Dash board lit up while i was driving. Stop the car and restart it, its fine, no codes, no check engine light, no vsc. Car drove fine after that. I usually keep a OBD2 reader in my trunk. Im gonna pull the plugs after work. I have to do an oil change anyway
Old 07-14-14, 07:40 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
That happened to me before and nothing like you said. I had my mechanic buddy at Lexus look at it and do the carbon build up top engine flush after be told me what to "tell" the service advisor. It never happened again. I assume you closed the fuel cap on tight after you added the sea foam.
Old 07-14-14, 07:47 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah of course gas cap is tight. I usually do most of the work my self on this car but it was unusual that this happened. My car is out of warranty but would lexus even honor a top engine cleaning AGAIN since the one on my car was done 30k miles ago? I mean if i can get them to do the work for free then by all means why not
Old 07-14-14, 09:19 AM
FMJ IS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my top engine clean done once too, but the problem came back not long after, my understand of top engine clean is that it didn't really reach the intake valve that much.

thinking to get one of my local guys to do crush walnut cleaning, as in take the intake manifold out, anybody tried it here?
Old 08-03-14, 07:24 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Gotta bump this because it happened again. I'm on vacation in Massachusetts I left my car for the weekend unused and when I start it has a rough idle. Does anyone know the engine cylinder pattern from left to right?

It's not carbon which leads me to believe spark plugs or coil packs.
Old 08-04-14, 12:02 AM
skullkandy
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue

top engine cleaner will do the trick but as someone said, its doesn't last that long till blowby oil reaches into the intake valves again.

A preventative measure is to take off the intake manifold, user a metal bottle brush with top engine cleaner and clean each valve.

To reduce future build up install a oil catch can, the amount of blowby oil caught will shock you.

Its probably been a year now since i've done this and issue never came back. I should've done a right up while i was at it lol
Old 08-04-14, 06:39 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

No im 100% positive its not carbon. I have a coil pack going back on cylinder 5. I was driving home from boston and i got a check engine light and was able to make it to an auto store, Changed the plug, worked fine for a few miles then got it again. Stopped, Swapped the coil pack and now got misfire in the cylinder I changed the coilpack to
Old 08-04-14, 12:25 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^So is the CEL following the coilpack and NOT the cylinder? Replace coilpack as needed then.

Also, CRC has a new product specifically created for those with DI motors needing "top-end" cleaning. Check this out :