IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Older, HIGH MILEAGE, IS350, NEED YOUR ADVICE!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 05:21 AM
jsh139
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fragger
Gotcha, so no Bluetooth streaming then?

Any input on that Traction control question, guys? 06 vs. the Rest?

And MPG? My friend said his G37x Sport Sedan is horrible at MPG!

And I assume these take Premium ONLY gas? No 83 or 88?
Correct. Bluetooth audio wasn't introduced until 2010, IIRC.

2006 you cannot disable the traction control via a button, like you can 2007+. For the 2006, there is a special sequence of brake pedal and parking brake maneuvers that you have to do that are affectionately referred to as the "Pedal Dance".

As far as MPG is concerned, I have been getting around 24 mpg when driving 75% highway, and around 21 mpg when driving a 65/35 mixture of city and highway. Premium (91+ octane) fuel is recommended. I always use 93 octane.
Old 06-19-14, 06:32 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Great input guys, thank you!

One last question... what is this warning/omen of "holding down the Traction Control" button if I end up with an 06'?

Thanks!
Its not an "issue" just an annoyance if you enjoy driving with traction control intervention at a minimum. The peddle dance is the working mans way to disable the feature on the 2006 model. 2007+ models have functionality built into the VDIM ecu that allow trac. control to be disabled by simply holding the button down. You are fine doing the peddle dance! OR, you can buy a 07+ vdim ecu for $200 at a junkyard and replace the 06 one.
Old 06-27-14, 03:19 PM
Fragger
Rookie

Happy Friday friends,

I am back with a specific example of a car I am eyeing. Need our opinions and advice on it. Also have some questions:

It's an 06, IS350 with a 126K miles (and counting), comes with the Luxury Package (I think, has the shade in the back), Nav, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, and Mark Levinson, has 19" wheels (powdered Black), with some curb rash on the one wheel on the Passenger side, Joe Z Intake Pipe, K&N drop air filter, Carbon fiber trim (modded), Continental tires with less than 3K miles on them, and a set of 4 winter tires and wheels. All service has been performed by the dealer including the recalls. Also, some ground effects with a front Vizage Replica lip and a trunk lip.

Things to worry about:

Handful of dings and dents, tranny was replaced by Lexus at 116K or so, apparently it was slipping.

Seller is asking 15K for it all, we haven't talked price AT ALL right now.

Now the questions for you:

1. If the car really have the Mark Levinson, shouldn't it have the ML Logo on it like IS-F does? Or is that not true for the regular ISs? Is there another way to tell if it's an ML?

2. Were there really stock 19" wheels available in 2006?

3. When I bought my E46 M3, 2 years ago, the rule of thumb was, GET A PPI done, or DON'T BUY! Is that absolutely necessary here as well?

4. What price would you have paid for the car and any tips to bring it down?

5. Anything else am I missing?

Thank you and am looking forward to your answers! Thank you!
Old 06-27-14, 03:21 PM
Fragger
Rookie

And the obvious question: Would you buy a car like this if you had a low budget closest to 10K?
Old 06-27-14, 03:44 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what the market in NY is like, but here in California, you cannot buy an IS350, even if it had close to 140K, for 10K. The lowest price I've seen is 14,500 from a dealer, about 12,500 from private party for vehicles over 120K miles.

Regarding the car you're looking at, it sure has a lot of mods. Also, its very unusual for the transmission to go out so soon. My guess is this car was beat hard. I would be weary of buying this one. Mark levinson sound has the ML logo on the radio unit, if its not there it doesn't have ML. Does it have the Lexus doorsills that light up blue? It should have the premium package if it has those and the rear sunshade.

How much are you willing to pay for maintenance on this car? Even if you are able to buy it for close to 10K, you should budget for repairs such as water pump, alternator, suspension parts, etc. Lexus is reliable, but there is still basic maintenance you need to do.

Good luck, however be careful because when you are looking at the bottom of the barrel, you may get a lemon.
Old 06-27-14, 04:19 PM
Fragger
Rookie

Originally Posted by synrgy350
I don't know what the market in NY is like, but here in California, you cannot buy an IS350, even if it had close to 140K, for 10K. The lowest price I've seen is 14,500 from a dealer, about 12,500 from private party for vehicles over 120K miles.

Regarding the car you're looking at, it sure has a lot of mods. Also, its very unusual for the transmission to go out so soon. My guess is this car was beat hard. I would be weary of buying this one. Mark levinson sound has the ML logo on the radio unit, if its not there it doesn't have ML. Does it have the Lexus doorsills that light up blue? It should have the premium package if it has those and the rear sunshade.

How much are you willing to pay for maintenance on this car? Even if you are able to buy it for close to 10K, you should budget for repairs such as water pump, alternator, suspension parts, etc. Lexus is reliable, but there is still basic maintenance you need to do.

Good luck, however be careful because when you are looking at the bottom of the barrel, you may get a lemon.
Hey bud, great input, couple of follow up questions for you:

1. Are you sure the ML system MUST HAVE then logo in the front? I thought I saw pictures on Google where people said it was an ML, but the logo wasn't there... Can anyone else confirm?

2. What price would you pay for the car?

3. Yeah, the alternator and etc are like regular maintenance for any car.. Any idea what those costs may be like?

Thank you again...

Please everyone else, please chime in with your opinions and advice as well, thanks!

And oh... I got some advice to go on drivers.Lexus.com, but I don't have access to the site cause you have to be a Lexus owner? Any advice on this guys?
Old 06-27-14, 04:35 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to interrupt.
1. the ML has the word "Mark Levinson" on the bottom. I have 2 cars one with ML and one without so i can tell. Another way to tell is the sound coming from the middle speaker in the front. The non-ML one does NOT have a speaker there. A 3rd way to tell is if you have "Surround Sound" in sound setting, if you do, congrats you have ML.

2. IMO, you should get another one since you knew the fact that there was problem with transmission.

3. Oil change should be around 65-100, alternator couple hundred, i don't see anything really above the 1000 range unless it is transmission.
Old 06-27-14, 05:05 PM
Fragger
Rookie

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Sorry to interrupt.
1. the ML has the word "Mark Levinson" on the bottom. I have 2 cars one with ML and one without so i can tell. Another way to tell is the sound coming from the middle speaker in the front. The non-ML one does NOT have a speaker there. A 3rd way to tell is if you have "Surround Sound" in sound setting, if you do, congrats you have ML.

2. IMO, you should get another one since you knew the fact that there was problem with transmission.

3. Oil change should be around 65-100, alternator couple hundred, i don't see anything really above the 1000 range unless it is transmission.
Thank you for the great post there, bud. Especially around ML, I'll see what I can find there...

If the tranny is replaced and the Lexus records are there, you'd still not buy this car? If so... Why not?

Any thoughts on what you'd pay for a car like this?

Please feel free to chime in, to the others... Looking for as much input as possible. Thank you everyone!

And oh... Can anyone tell me how I can access the drivers.Lexus.com?
Old 06-27-14, 05:41 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey bud, great input, couple of follow up questions for you:

1. Are you sure the ML system MUST HAVE then logo in the front? I thought I saw pictures on Google where people said it was an ML, but the logo wasn't there... Can anyone else confirm?

2. What price would you pay for the car?

3. Yeah, the alternator and etc are like regular maintenance for any car.. Any idea what those costs may be like?

Thank you again...

Please everyone else, please chime in with your opinions and advice as well, thanks!

And oh... I got some advice to go on drivers.Lexus.com, but I don't have access to the site cause you have to be a Lexus owner? Any advice on this guys?
Glad to give you some advice. In response to your questions:

1. Like FSportIS said, there is a Mark Levinson logo on the front of the head unit and there is the surround sound menu in the radio settings. If it does not have the logo, it does not have ML

2. I personally wouldn't buy a modded car, but if you're talking about a stock IS350 with about 120K, I would pay 14K max for it. I wouldn't expect to get it any less than 12K

3. If you can fix things yourself, parts can be pretty reasonable, water pump is $120, alternator around $300, shocks and struts 120 each, however these are prices for parts only. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, you will have to take it to the dealer or independent. Just as an example, the dealer here charges $700 for the water pump, parts and labor.

How much are you looking to spend max on the purchase price?
Old 06-27-14, 06:24 PM
Fragger
Rookie

Originally Posted by synrgy350
Glad to give you some advice. In response to your questions:

1. Like FSportIS said, there is a Mark Levinson logo on the front of the head unit and there is the surround sound menu in the radio settings. If it does not have the logo, it does not have ML

2. I personally wouldn't buy a modded car, but if you're talking about a stock IS350 with about 120K, I would pay 14K max for it. I wouldn't expect to get it any less than 12K

3. If you can fix things yourself, parts can be pretty reasonable, water pump is $120, alternator around $300, shocks and struts 120 each, however these are prices for parts only. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, you will have to take it to the dealer or independent. Just as an example, the dealer here charges $700 for the water pump, parts and labor.

How much are you looking to spend max on the purchase price?
Thank you again for the insight, bud.

For this particular car, with everything on the table I think if I could somehow get the seller down to 13K, then I'll pull the trigger immediately. Although I do think that's perhaps wishful thinking... What do you think?

Also, not sure if anyone knows, but how many keys or fobs should the car come with... 2?

Still looking for an answer on how to check the Lexus records with the VIN I have...?

I welcome any other input, especially from folks who are a bit on the modded side of things? About reliability and maybe purchasing a ride like this?

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-28-14, 06:47 AM
jsh139
Rookie

I'm pretty sure that you can just register at drivers.lexus.com without actually owning the car. You register with your info and then put in the VIN.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...on/register.do

Give it a try. It can't hurt.
Old 06-28-14, 02:09 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't need to be an owner to register. Register the VIN afterward to check out service histories. Pay for a detail PPI and use the result (along with the service histories) to negotiate. Pay extra attention to the water and timing chain cover; look out for leaks. These are the some of the more common problem (and more expensive to fix)
I don't think you could get it lower than $12,000.
Old 06-29-14, 10:00 PM
Fragger
Rookie

Originally Posted by jsh139
I'm pretty sure that you can just register at drivers.lexus.com without actually owning the car. You register with your info and then put in the VIN.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...on/register.do

Give it a try. It can't hurt.
Originally Posted by pheonix72
You don't need to be an owner to register. Register the VIN afterward to check out service histories. Pay for a detail PPI and use the result (along with the service histories) to negotiate. Pay extra attention to the water and timing chain cover; look out for leaks. These are the some of the more common problem (and more expensive to fix)
I don't think you could get it lower than $12,000.
Gentlemen, I continue to thank you for your wonderful advice. I will go ahead and sign up on drivers.lexus.com and see how far I get.

Before this thread, a PPI was not on my radar, but it makes sense... why not, right? Any idea, anyone knows what that would cost me?

Lastly, just so I am clear... NO ONE so far has voted for me to buy this car, correct? Even with all the goodies, and the price? I'm hoping to get that price as close to 12 - 13 as possible, but let's see... But again... just so I am clear... NONE of you have voted for the ride, correct?

Thanks again for your wonderful advice!
Old 06-30-14, 11:39 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now it is time for YOU to finally make the decision because ultimately you are the one who will be paying for it. To own a car and use it reliably for years, you want to think hard, do it once and do it right the first time.

Good luck my friend Can't wait to see you starting a new topic sharing new pictures of your IS.
Old 07-10-14, 11:15 PM
Fragger
Rookie

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Now it is time for YOU to finally make the decision because ultimately you are the one who will be paying for it. To own a car and use it reliably for years, you want to think hard, do it once and do it right the first time.

Good luck my friend Can't wait to see you starting a new topic sharing new pictures of your IS.
LOL you're right bud...the seller decided not to sell the car... so I am back to square one for now LOL! But thanks for all your wonderful advice!

BTW, this is a question for my friends here... I saw an is or two which was a 2006, and it had TWO buttons to the left side of the steering wheel! They were black and looked like 2 switch like buttons.

Is that possible on a 2006 and what are the two buttons for?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Older, HIGH MILEAGE, IS350, NEED YOUR ADVICE!!