IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

In progress iPad Air dash mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 09:09 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming the final product is a success, someone should definitely mass produce the dash piece.
Old 04-27-14, 03:20 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good so far! Can't wait too see the finished product

I love what you did to find solutions for the CD player/controls, etc ... as an A/V guy, this kinda stuff is super exciting for me haha
Old 04-29-14, 04:10 PM
djbuddha
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Rafa is one sick fabricator. For those wondering what happens to the airbag ligthts, clock and hazard button:

In progress iPad Air dash mod-photo-apr-29-10-15-05-am.jpg
In progress iPad Air dash mod-photo-apr-29-10-48-15-am.jpg
In progress iPad Air dash mod-photo-apr-29-10-48-39-am.jpg
In progress iPad Air dash mod-photo-apr-29-11-43-53-am.jpg

Old 04-29-14, 04:19 PM
djbuddha
Rookie

So I decided with the help of a friend of mine, to do a test install of the Sony GS radio. Ran into an interesting hiccup.

The radio powers up perfectly, the sound plays fine through the factory amp with the PAC-TATO adapter attached. However, and this I've never heard of until now. The climate control TURNS ON, AND the screens power. But you can't see what you're controlling. They stay powered, but blank.

After some extensive research (and reading in the PAC kit that the Toyota PRIUS vehicles suffer the same fate), it seems like you have to get a 68 ohm resistor and find the TX+ and TX- that's going into the changer (on a separate harness) which apparently when applied, triggers the screen control to work. I figured this out after reading about Metra harnesses which require the same treatment. I also consulted an electrical technician at Toyota this afternoon who explained the behavior of the screen and said that apparently this is normal.

According to the PAC instructions, we have to add a resistor to pins 9 and 10 (9 being pink, 10 being brown). Him and I looked up what pins 9 and 10 on the 20 pin harness colored "pink" and "brown" actually connect to on the PRIUS while I was there. We found TX+ and TX-.

All the instructions say is: "in vehicle x, add the resistor to pins 9 and 10" .. the color of the wires were different from vehicle to vehicle. So I paid the $15 to access all of the Toyota wiring diagrams on my laptop. On 3 different lexus vehicles (as per the harness instructions) and the PRIUS, they ALL point to jumping TX+ and TX- with a resistor from the connector going into the changer on non-Mark Levinson systems.

So Friday will be the day I decide to test this on the Lexus as I found the leads on the IS 250 (also conveniently on pins 9 and 10). Here's to hoping LOL.

Last edited by djbuddha; 04-29-14 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 04:42 PM
djbuddha
Rookie

Time to mold the connector in .. It's all coming together ..

In progress iPad Air dash mod-photo-apr-29-7-39-10-pm.jpg
Old 04-29-14, 05:06 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I like this idea but whats gonna happen in the nxt 5 years? Are you gonna use the same ipad?
Old 04-29-14, 05:41 PM
djbuddha
Rookie

Originally Posted by metaleckz
I like this idea but whats gonna happen in the nxt 5 years? Are you gonna use the same ipad?
Good question.

iPads are getting smaller not bigger.

If I upgrade the iPad to a smaller dimension in the future, I can see Soundman releasing upgrade molds (like an adapter that would slide into full sized iPads car installs like this, but for a newer smaller ipad). He just had to get a lightning connector coupler made up and fiber glassed in. That's one thought. By that time, we'll see some ways to preserve installs like this I'm sure.
Old 05-01-14, 12:12 PM
djbuddha
Rookie

Oh my damn ..

Old 05-01-14, 12:17 PM
tbulsara
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks really good..
there is only one problem i see in this..
and again, this is just my point of view,

the ipad is tilting downwards... would have made more sense if it were tilting upwards??
Old 05-01-14, 12:20 PM
djbuddha
Rookie

Originally Posted by tbulsara
This looks really good..
there is only one problem i see in this..
and again, this is just my point of view,

the ipad is tilting downwards... would have made more sense if it were tilting upwards??
That's the fish-eye lens effect. If you go to page 1 and look at post 3, (pre-fillers and such) .. it's actually straight on. I got worried too when I watched it. For confirmation, watch the beginning of the video where Doug is playing the table/Rafa drum and look at how the table is warped by the lens lol

Edit: Also, from checking the car, it seems he positioned the buttons on a more upward angle (probably to accommodate the screen for the climate control). The illusion is the ipad panel itself being downward. I have faith in his work as he carefully measures and does these panels ALL the time.

Last edited by djbuddha; 05-01-14 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Add on about the climate control screen
Old 05-01-14, 01:35 PM
tbulsara
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats good to hear.. just wanted to run it by you, as it did seem that way when first looked at...
Old 05-01-14, 01:43 PM
djbuddha
Rookie

Originally Posted by tbulsara
thats good to hear.. just wanted to run it by you, as it did seem that way when first looked at...
I do appreciate it. It got me to get a better visual understanding of what he did. Good eye!
Old 05-04-14, 07:46 AM
Mancebof
Pole Position

this is really cool. I actually had a similar idea about a year ago but it was to design a stand that could be bolted on so that controls aren't moved around. I also don't know how legal it is to have an ipad as a entertainment unit on a vehicle so should i need to remove i can do so effortlessly. Previously school, money, and knowledge of how to manufacture were factors holding me back but i worked with metals and resins this semester and im back on the job force so hopefully this summer break i can tackle it.
Old 05-04-14, 10:50 AM
djbuddha
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mancebof
this is really cool. I actually had a similar idea about a year ago but it was to design a stand that could be bolted on so that controls aren't moved around. I also don't know how legal it is to have an ipad as a entertainment unit on a vehicle so should i need to remove i can do so effortlessly. Previously school, money, and knowledge of how to manufacture were factors holding me back but i worked with metals and resins this semester and im back on the job force so hopefully this summer break i can tackle it.
If you're going to do it this summer, watch the soundman channel. There's a lot of hints. They were the first ones to globally show off the first ipad install in a vehicle. They document a LOT of the beginnings of their iPad installations. They show you how they made their iPad pans, different types of installs, wiring options, and I'm talking at least 100s of videos on their channel. It'll give you such an education on what you're walking into. I'd start exploring that channel now if you want all the info by the summer!
Old 05-04-14, 12:37 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Those videos are hilarious! Can't wait to see it installed.

Quick Reply: In progress iPad Air dash mod