HID Philips Ultinon 6000k mismatch

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 12:05 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HID Philips Ultinon 6000k mismatch

So I bought these bulbs from Japan, and i paid a fortune for them,
got them installed and there is a slight color difference between the left and right HID
bulbs are genuine Philip Ultinon HID D4S 6000k, came as a set, in the correct packaging and everything

Driver side is more of a pure white color, the passenger side is more blue. Mind you the color difference is not noticeable from far away, only when ur standing right above the headlights. you can see a hue of blue on the lens on the passenger side, while driver side lense is more white (no blue at all) Minor difference, but its still glaringly obvious to me

from a distance both color look the same. No one would probably notice it, but when its your car it sticks out like a sore thumb. Ive adjusted the heights of the reflectors and that didnt change anything, only the level of lighting, color difference sitll remains Ive done the research and i plan on doing the following steps.
  1. Swap bulbs left and right to see if the difference in color still remains.
  2. Swap ballasts around to see if one is faulty (but i heard a fault ballast will cause flickering which isnt happening)

IT could be the headlight housing but that they both look similar, and i dont recall swapping out a headlight at any point.

Itll prob b difficult to contact the seller, cause it was all in Japanese, i did a google translate and it seems legit, all user reviews were 4 or 5 stars, except for one guy who didn't like the color output of the 6000k.

I could not find a single case of anyone w Philips Ultinon's having this problem, Other HID's some say its normal, and after a 100 hours of burn in time they should match, but ud think that philips would have very strict quality control and not release bulbs that dont match. so im not sure how to proceed. or What to do about it. Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 02-20-14, 12:26 AM
dragtek1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, they need to burn in before they will settle at the right color temperature. Simply put, the salts inside the bulbs have not fully mixed (or are mixing at a different rate), which gives it a different output in color. I had finish doing a retrofit for my sister in law's car and it took about 4-5 hours before the bulbs matched each other. We are using the Philips 85122+ bulbs.

My CBI's on the other hand, came near perfect matched; these are made by Osram though.
Old 02-20-14, 12:35 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dragtek1
Yes, they need to burn in before they will settle at the right color temperature. Simply put, the salts inside the bulbs have not fully mixed (or are mixing at a different rate), which gives it a different output in color. I had finish doing a retrofit for my sister in law's car and it took about 4-5 hours before the bulbs matched each other. We are using the Philips 85122+ bulbs.

My CBI's on the other hand, came near perfect matched; these are made by Osram though.

I installed the lights Tuesday night, so its been two days. But i do not think ive hit the 4-5 hours of burn in yet. I hope this solves the issue.

I would attach pics, but you cant see the difference inn pictures