IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dropped 250 off for carbon buildup - now need new flywheel? WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 06:22 PM
A70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped 250 off for carbon buildup - now need new flywheel? WTF?

Took my 08 250 in last weekend and dropped it off for the carbon buildup issue. New pistons, rings, installing new plugs while it's in there (just hit 60k as well). I get a call this afternoon from the dealership saying that "the flywheel looks funny to one of the techs."

When I bought the car, I noticed a note on the online service records stating that the previous owner brought in an aftermarket clutch and flywheel and requested the dealership install it.

INSTALL CUSTOMER PROVIDED CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL, CUSTOMER WAS MADE AWARE THAT WE P

and this one

THE CAR HAS AN HIGH PERFORMANCE CLUTCH. NOT THE ORIGINAL CLUTCH. NO WORK PERFORM

When I got the call today, the service department guy couldn't tell me if the flywheel and clutch were OEM or not, as his shop foreman and tech had already gone home for the day. He also told me it'd be about $2700 for the flywheel but he wouldn't charge me labor since they needed to reassemble anyway. I asked him to explain why it looked funny and he said it had a little 'play' in it but couldn't describe anything else, because again - tech went home for the day. I could buy the flywheel from Sewell with the discount and that makes it a little more reasonable, but still quite a bit more than I want to pay especially since the car drives alright.

Now he told me what I already figured but asked anyway to see if they'd work with me: would the 70k powertrain warranty cover the flywheel? No, as there aren't stock parts in there.

My questions for you guys:

Why would the flywheel 'look funny' if it's aftermarket? Is there a 'funny' tolerance in the service manual? I know of only one aftermarket flywheel (Fidanza) and that's not sprung.

Also,

I've been getting the occasional grinding/clunking noise when shifting, something the TSB should cover. Will the TSB cover this if there have been aftermarket parts installed? Can someone PM me a link to the TSB?
Old 01-30-14, 08:17 PM
islove623
Driver School Candidate

When I dropped my is250 off for carbon build up repairs they told me my rear calipers were seized and, that I needed tires "badly" told them I didn't have the money took the car home ripped the wheels off on the rear, calipers went in like a charm non seized at all. Tires also fine still driving on them and they told me they were soo bad 6 months ago, still have 40% tread also
Old 01-30-14, 08:38 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A "FUNNY" flywheel doesnt necessarily mean a bad one. you should ask them what exactly looks "FUNNY" about it. Just because something looks "FUNNY" doesn't mean I will pay 2700 to replace it. Broken and not usable is one thing but FUNNY is not.

The power train warranty wont cover aftermarket parts unless you can find out what happened to the original one. Did the OEM one go bad and was replaced with an aftermarket one? then Maybe you can get the dealer to meet you half way
Old 01-31-14, 12:11 PM
A70
Driver School Candidate

Got a call back today, dealership said "We can find a spec for runout, but can't find one for funny looking."

Also, I asked they take pictures of the clutch and flywheel so I can see what I've got in there, and it's the stock clutch/flywheel. Shop took pictures of the TOYOTA stamp on the pressure plate/flywheel/etc.

So now I've got all OEM parts, but a dealership saying they won't honor any warranty OR service bulletin work since the service records show the last owner brought a flywheel and clutch in for the dealership to install. Unhappy about this, but I really hope I'll be able to get the TSB performed at some dealership somewhere since it has to do with replacing parts in the trans itself.
Old 02-03-14, 02:23 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would document everything and see if you can contact Lexus HQ to see if they can at least meet you half way. Search through any service records that you may have gotten from the previous owner. It could be as easy as the previous owner had an issue with the clutch and the dealer replaced it with a better one under warranty which SHOULD be covered. Also see if you can HAVE those pictures that they took to verify that the clutch and flywheel is OEM
Old 02-03-14, 04:31 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

With the engine out, I would recommend the clutch replacement.
Old 02-03-14, 08:37 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you replace it, how about a F Sport with Fidanza flywheel? Sewell discount?