IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

San Diego to Norfolk Road Trip with my IS250

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 02:52 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default San Diego to Norfolk Road Trip with my IS250

UPDATED: moved 2 weeks earlier, tomorrow will be pictures of how my car will be lowered by weight
Who: My 2007 IS250 RWD and I.
What: My job is transfering me. I'm making this transfer into a 2700+ mile road trip.
Where: Norfolk, Virginia
When: 1 MAY 2013 instead of the 17th
Why: I'm in the military, so free transfer and road trip.

Other details:
-Test how the IS250 can take a long distance drive.
-My 07 IS250 hasn't experienced the carbon issue.
-Driving alone but all my stuff will be roughly the weight of 3 people(So me with full passengers)
-Only mods are F-Sport Intake and Exhaust, 18" wheels from F-Sport Trim and HIDs. Everything else is stock.
-I'm not going to see how fast I can get there, but make stops where I have friends along the way and ENJOY THE DRIVE!!!

Before my trip: --I'm leaving me prepared cause you never know what might happen---
*New Battery- I still have the OEM battery, Dealer says its still good but I'm still getting a new one cause it might take a dump when I drive to the east coast.
*5-10G Gas Tank
*Maps- incase my GPS takes a dump too
*Maybe new tires- bought the car with 85% tread left, should be less than that now.

01 APR 13 - Checked my tires(18 hankook EVO V12) with the penny. Hope this lasts 2700 more miles.

So this is what i'll be in front of for 40+hours and 2700+ miles of driving.

Last edited by Joshohoho; 04-29-13 at 09:37 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old 02-12-13, 02:58 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very Nice! Should be a trouble free drive. Just be sure to take a good emergency kit just in case and hopefully you have some sort of road side assistance just in case as well (always a good idea). I've been wanting to drive my car on a long distance road trip as well, seems like it would be fun. That's a lot of time behind the wheel alone though, i'd definitely have to have someone with me lol

Have a safe and fun drive and let us know how it goes! Maybe update the thread as you go!
Maybe put some painters tape on that front end to help reduce rock chips too!
Old 02-12-13, 02:58 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds awesome! Cant wait to see the photos, have a safe trip and keep us posted!
Old 02-12-13, 03:00 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

I'll post updates when the time comes, during and after my trip.
Old 02-12-13, 03:06 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have a great trip and be safe out there. CL will be with ya!
Old 02-12-13, 03:18 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Very Nice! Should be a trouble free drive. Just be sure to take a good emergency kit just in case and hopefully you have some sort of road side assistance just in case as well (always a good idea). I've been wanting to drive my car on a long distance road trip as well, seems like it would be fun. That's a lot of time behind the wheel alone though, i'd definitely have to have someone with me lol

Have a safe and fun drive and let us know how it goes! Maybe update the thread as you go!
Maybe put some painters tape on that front end to help reduce rock chips too!
Thanks guys. I know someone transferring there too but they have their own car.
Old 02-12-13, 03:33 PM
ncsu-tc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a cross country trip 2 years ago when I relocated from Oregon to Alabama. I did the drive in my S2000 with my dad as my navigator (nice way of saying passenger). I will remember getting to spend that 186 hours of transit time covering 3437 miles across 13 states.

I planned each day of the trip. I used AAA to build triptix for each day of the trip. Booked hotels ahead of time. I also planned fuel stops since the S only has a 12 gallon fuel tank. I used gasbuddy.com to plan fuel stop areas - not necessarily the exact station.

Make sure you get several coats of wax on the car - you will thank me for this one - I ended up having an embarrassing number of coats of wax, but the bugs just fell off.

Make sure you pack some glass cleaner and microfiber towels to clean the windshield - we found that we cleaned it at every stop so 5-7 times a day on our drive.
We carried a cooler of drinks and some food. We made sure to get a few stops in places we wanted to see.
Old 02-12-13, 03:42 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ncsu-tc
I did a cross country trip 2 years ago when I relocated from Oregon to Alabama. I did the drive in my S2000 with my dad as my navigator (nice way of saying passenger). I will remember getting to spend that 186 hours of transit time covering 3437 miles across 13 states.

I planned each day of the trip. I used AAA to build triptix for each day of the trip. Booked hotels ahead of time. I also planned fuel stops since the S only has a 12 gallon fuel tank. I used gasbuddy.com to plan fuel stop areas - not necessarily the exact station.

Make sure you get several coats of wax on the car - you will thank me for this one - I ended up having an embarrassing number of coats of wax, but the bugs just fell off.

Make sure you pack some glass cleaner and microfiber towels to clean the windshield - we found that we cleaned it at every stop so 5-7 times a day on our drive.
We carried a cooler of drinks and some food. We made sure to get a few stops in places we wanted to see.
thank you for the tips. When I get my battery replaced I will have my car waxed. When you mentioned cooler, Im filling it with water, redbull and food. and the bug problem I'll definately get glass cleaners too. I drove down from chicago to san diego with a friend's car and I remember getting bug splats on the windshield too.
Old 02-12-13, 06:03 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

I made the same drive 3 months ago. About to drive back to San Diego from Norfolk next week. It's a great drive. I took the I40 the whole way. DEFINITELY stop at the Grand Canyon to watch the sunrise/sunset. You're also gonna wanna take the drive on Highway 64 when leaving the Canyon. You'll thank me. Drive safe!

Edit: you're obviously USN as well seeing as you went from Great Mistakes to SD and now to Norfolk lol what's your rate?

Highway 64 East leaving the Grand Canyon. Baby smooth, empty winding road for a good hour or so. Depending on speed XD

Last edited by Toxicxk23; 02-12-13 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 06:58 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

@Toxicxk23

CORRECT!!!
thank you for the advice. I already visited the grand canyon when I drove down from great mistakes to San Diego. I might do it again.

Im a close-in weapons technician. FC3. are you in the service too?
Old 02-12-13, 07:03 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joshohoho
@Toxicxk23

CORRECT!!!
thank you for the advice. I already visited the grand canyon when I drove down from great mistakes to San Diego. I might do it again.

Im a close-in weapons technician. FC3. are you in the service too?
You should take the I40 as opposed to the more northern, longer route you have shown on your map. You'll have plenty of days to stop at places so do it! I am definitely going to the Grand Canyon again on my way back but I'm gonna actually stay a whole day there this time.

I'm an ET3. How long you been in? You PCS'ing or TAD'ing to Norfolk?

Oh and be careful driving once you get close to/into Virginia. Huge on speeding and they'll bust you any chance they get. I got pulled over 5 minutes away from the end of my cross country drive. The speed limits will switch back and forth multiple times on a road.

Last edited by Toxicxk23; 02-12-13 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-12-13, 08:46 PM
ISmak4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck on the drive!

remember to protect your front bumper from rock chips!
Old 02-12-13, 09:51 PM
c-low
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck on the trip and take photos!
Old 02-12-13, 09:52 PM
MzKaylee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck and drive safe! <3
Old 02-12-13, 10:00 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

1.Check the air in the spare tire. Make sure you have the jack and all the equipment with it.

2. Radar detector for the CHP. It would suck to get a ticket in the middle and need to show up for court.

3.Good music to stay entertained!

GOODLUCK!

Quick Reply: San Diego to Norfolk Road Trip with my IS250