IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Another Safety recall on IS model (wipers, merged threads)

Old 01-29-13, 11:08 PM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Safety recall on IS model (wipers, merged threads)

(Please redirect me if there's thread about this and I'm apologize for that)

"The second safety recall involves the front wipers on certain Lexus IS vehicles where the wiper arm nut might not be sufficiently tight. If movement of the wipers is restricted by an external load, such as a buildup of heavy snow on the windshield, one or both of the wipers could become inoperative."

Source:
http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_...&view_id=30313
Old 01-29-13, 11:25 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Just heard it on the local news. It's been a while for the IS, so I'm still impressed.
Old 01-29-13, 11:28 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Didn't someone recently posted that his wiper wasn't working after he tried to used it with some ice on the windshield?
Old 01-29-13, 11:33 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

^
Yes, there was a recent post of that.
Years ago my driver's wiper arm slowly started working it's way over toward the plastic housing. Eventually it started scraping the opening. Dealer said he never seen anything like it before, but it was all replaced no charge. I wonder if this is related.
Old 01-29-13, 11:45 PM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Just heard it on the local news. It's been a while for the IS, so I'm still impressed.
Lexus had taking care of their customers and saving their back stage. Which makes me feel so "reliable." Nice

Originally Posted by nosurprise
Didn't someone recently posted that his wiper wasn't working after he tried to used it with some ice on the windshield?
Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
^
Yes, there was a recent post of that.
Years ago my driver's wiper arm slowly started working it's way over toward the plastic housing. Eventually it started scraping the opening. Dealer said he never seen anything like it before, but it was all replaced no charge. I wonder if this is related.
Looks like this is going to save some people's dissatisfaction.
Old 01-30-13, 12:09 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the recall is just basically going to be checking if that nut is properly tightened?
Old 01-30-13, 07:01 AM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
So the recall is just basically going to be checking if that nut is properly tightened?
I guess so?
Old 01-30-13, 07:13 AM
Muzuki
Driver School Candidate

Default Recent recall of 2006-2012 IS Models (Jan30.2013)

The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2013 6:10AM EST
Last Updated Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2013 6:59AM EST
TORONTO -- Toyota Canada said Wednesday it is recalling more than 157,000 vehicles to fix airbags and window wipers.

They include more than 140,000 Corolla and Matrix cars from 2003 and 2004 and almost 17,000 Lexus IS models from 2006 through 2012.

The Corolla and Matrix cars are being recalled because of concerns their airbags could be deployed inadvertently due to a possible short circuit in the control module.

Related Stories
Toyota settles wrongful death suit amid hundreds of sudden acceleration claims Cambridge plant gets $34M from feds, province The automaker also said the wiper arms of the Lexus vehicles may not be sufficiently tight and may stop working if their movement is restricted, by a buildup of snow for example.

Owners of the vehicles covered by these voluntary recalls will receive a letter via mail starting next month, it said.

It is part of a global recall of more than 1.3 million vehicles, including 752,000 in the United States.

Toyota Motor Corp. spokesman Naoto Fuse said two crashes were reported in the U.S. related to the air bag problem, but Toyota had not been able to confirm them. Fuse said it was unclear whether anyone had been injured in the two crashes. Toyota has confirmed 18 cases in the U.S. of abrasion-type injuries from the air bag problem, he said.

Initially, the Japanese automaker had said there were no accidents related to either problem. In total, it received 46 reports of problems involving the air bags from North America, and one from Japan, and 25 reports of problems related to the windshield wipers.

Toyota's reputation for top quality was undermined in the past few years by massive recalls for a spate of problems, including bad brakes, gas pedals and floor mats, mostly in the United States.

Executives have repeatedly promised to beef up quality controls and be quicker with recalls to repair Toyota's image.

Toyota's production was hit by the quake and tsunami in northeastern Japan in 2011, where key suppliers were located, but it has since recovered, seeing sales grow not only in the U.S. but also in Asia.

Earlier this week, Toyota released its tally for global vehicle sales last year at a record 9.75 million vehicles, regaining its spot as the world's No. 1 automaker from U.S. rival General Motors Co.

Toyota has announced some recalls in recent months, but they have been relatively minor, such as floor mats, and generally affect vehicles manufactured before its latest efforts to regain sterling quality.

Last month, Toyota agreed to pay more than $1 billion in the U.S. to settle lawsuits where vehicle owners said the value of their cars and SUVs plummeted after the company recalled millions of vehicles because of sudden-acceleration issues.

Executives say they are not admitting fault. But they acknowledge the company is eager to put the recall crisis behind it, and move ahead with sales growth in Asia as well as in the U.S.

With files from The Associated Press
Old 01-30-13, 07:21 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like nearly ALL IS's are being recalled for what looks like a pretty minor issue. Saw this online this morning. Maybe they'll replace the inserts for us as a courtesy while they check the nut.:

"In a second recall, about 270,000 Lexus IS sedans from the 2006 to 2012 model years will be recalled to check for a loose nut on the front wipers. In the case of the wiper blades on the Lexus IS, the loose nut could cause the wipers to fail if they encounter a heavy load that puts them under pressure, like the buildup of snow, Toyota says.

Owners of all the affected models will receive a letter telling them to bring their vehicles into dealers for repairs."
Old 01-30-13, 07:27 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Would appear to be a pretty minor issue for most owners, but it will get blown up to crisis level in the media because it is Toyota. I'm not going to lose sleep over this one.
Old 01-30-13, 08:26 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another dumb recall. I'm happy with my car. Some people need to get a life.
Old 01-30-13, 08:28 AM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why wouldn't you just brush off heavy snow build up before using your wipers? Why is the world getting so lazy?
Old 01-30-13, 11:29 AM
tedward88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Toxicxk23
Why wouldn't you just brush off heavy snow build up before using your wipers? Why is the world getting so lazy?
Simple, snow is cold! Although they could just buy an ice/snow scrapper, if you can afford a Lexus, you can afford something to scrape the snow off.
Old 01-30-13, 11:36 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if they'll give us free wiper inserts
Old 01-30-13, 12:02 PM
Hybryd40
Driver School Candidate

Lexus will exchange the nuts in repairs that will take about 30 minutes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Safety recall on IS model (wipers, merged threads)