IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I shaved my rear fenders, is it to late to roll?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-12, 05:55 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

From someone that has tried to fix a friends fender shave job with an Eastwood fender roller - Its TOUGH. You will have to put pressure on the outside of the fender to get whats left of the tiny lip to start rolling/bending. If you dont apply enough counterforce you are in a sense beginning to flare or pull your fenders out. They will end up looking like a wavy mess...

At this point I would shave down as far as you can go then take it to a shop to have it sealed properly and coated on the inside. From that point you can "pull" your fenders properly.

You just made the job 100 times tougher. :/
Old 11-01-12, 06:20 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I say tape of the fender and spray plastidip on the inside to help with the rust.
Old 11-01-12, 08:08 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I wish I had a pic...but my friends actually started to seperate the sheet metal and fender skin! I got all the wave ironed out (literally) but they were shaved down so much we got the seperation after pulling. He had to have a shop spot weld, fill and coat the one fender for piece of mind. In the end, shave OR roll but dont do both IMO.
Old 11-01-12, 08:33 AM
chase350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! I don't think u should be modified ur car. Sorry.
Old 11-01-12, 11:09 AM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^ there is nothing wrong with shaving fenders vs rolling at all I did my old Acura TL-S when I was rocking my VS-XX but i did a good job lol and my set up wasnt poking past my fenders so it worked just perfectly. The OP needed more of a pull which would have been easier to do when rolling fenders still can be done just gota find the right guy and take your time.
Old 11-01-12, 12:25 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^

What??? something about not poking enough and you wanna find the right guy and take your time??
Old 11-01-12, 12:32 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

^ lol you confusing me..... basically OP has some aggressive offsets on his ride meaning that shaving the inner fender liner was not enough. now he needs to find someone that is capable of pulling the fenders slightly to make it fit better.
Old 11-01-12, 12:39 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

I was jokin murph LOL , I understood what you meant.

Last edited by Vroomin350; 11-01-12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-01-12, 12:44 PM
Murph145
Lexus Test Driver

^ haha thats it! I am off to florida to find you
Old 11-01-12, 05:57 PM
Temptation
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
^

What??? something about not poking enough and you wanna find the right guy and take your time??

LOL.....this got to be "phrase of the day". You sure have a good sense of humor!!
Old 11-02-12, 11:44 AM
Low Life
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikellucci
From someone that has tried to fix a friends fender shave job with an Eastwood fender roller - Its TOUGH. You will have to put pressure on the outside of the fender to get whats left of the tiny lip to start rolling/bending. If you dont apply enough counterforce you are in a sense beginning to flare or pull your fenders out. They will end up looking like a wavy mess...

At this point I would shave down as far as you can go then take it to a shop to have it sealed properly and coated on the inside. From that point you can "pull" your fenders properly.

You just made the job 100 times tougher. :/
I think i may try to still roll it, there is actually quite a bit of lip left. and another thing is i have not touched the other rear fender yet. so i can hopefully roll this one still. i'll try your first option with someone appying pressure while rolling. I will try to add as little pressure at a time with the roller, and hopefully manage to get this thing rolled.

So the guys that like poke, and dont tuck, aren't they risking hitting the tires all the time and messing up their fenders?
Old 11-02-12, 11:50 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i shaved mine completely and the only way i see my fender and queater panel seperating is if I were to try and pull it... If i were to do anything it would be custom work like nmpeter did. So if i were you I would continue to shave it down because if you try and roll at this point you will probably sepearate like mikelucci said...
Old 11-02-12, 12:43 PM
Low Life
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MIA_LEX
i shaved mine completely and the only way i see my fender and queater panel seperating is if I were to try and pull it... If i were to do anything it would be custom work like nmpeter did. So if i were you I would continue to shave it down because if you try and roll at this point you will probably sepearate like mikelucci said...
I was thinking the opposite, since there is still lip there holding it together i don't see it seperating, but if i shave it complete then i can understand how it can seperate. If there is a chance i can get away with rolling it still i will.

But in the mean time i'm just going to not go near my car until i figure out what i'm going to do before i just mess it up more.
Old 11-02-12, 01:05 PM
Denver
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should have rolled it.... with the correct tools, it will look right
Old 11-02-12, 04:09 PM
Low Life
Pole Position

^^ k so what now?

Quick Reply: I shaved my rear fenders, is it to late to roll?