IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auto leveling headlights not calibrating at start up

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 03:02 PM
ocd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allan1
Did you just adjusted lights with screwdriver randomly and suddenly the both lights started to move again?
No. The passenger light was literally aimed 12 inches higher than the driver side. I followed the directions in the owners manual (equal turns in the same direction on both adjustment screws) and got it to the same level as the driver side. Then I followed some generic Toyota aiming guidelines I found on google (couldn't find any docs from Lexus...weak), which was placing the car at 25' away from a wall on a level surface w/ a full tank of fuel. It directs you to adjust the vertical height aim of the beam to the height of the center of the headlamps distance to the ground. Then the left and right aiming to a center area described. I ended up aiming mine slightly higher to compensate for the drop in ride height. The results are phenomenal and now I'm not blinding oncoming vehicles anymore.

Will it do the same if i loosen the screw behind the rear wheel and move the sensor a bit up and down?
I'm not sure. I did that and it had no effect at all. The previous owner had already adjusted it to compensate for the lower ride height (moved the adjustment bolt/dog bone to a lower position). I moved it all the way up, all the way down, and everywhere in between. It didn't change anything in my case, so I put it back to where if found it. I figure, because that sensor is for dynamic changes in height (going up hills and such), that it needs to have a certain range to function properly. The amount of adjustment the previous owner performed was probably just a conservative measure to compensate for the ride height drop. Then most likely he went crazy with the manual aiming and jacked up the entire AFS system.

It's working perfectly now...huge difference in night visability.
Attached Thumbnails Auto leveling headlights not calibrating at start up-headlight-adjust-2.jpg  

Last edited by ocd; 11-22-12 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-22-12, 03:41 PM
ocd
Rookie

I did remove the headlights from the car some time ago, maybe that´s what causing this.
My best guess it this^
Old 09-14-14, 05:07 PM
mrredpants
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Resurrecting old post yet again. I actually replaced my drivers side headlight asslembly. I noticed the hid light was way of and also wasn't auto leveling - leading me to this post. I wasn't aware of the adjustment screws. So I've got the light much closer to the level of the passenger side. When I turn the car on.. I can see the auto leveling trying to move of the driver side.

So...a couple things. I didn't realize there were two adjustment screws. I was turning the most obvious one and nothing seemed to happen. I came back to researching and now realized not only were there two but you're supposed to do equal turns and not many.

So... Even to get it close to the other level... I had to turn the screw many many times. So now even though I'm not blinding anyone.... The afs still doesn't seem right and I'm afraid I wonked them all up. I'm not sure how to get back to center or what I should do. BTW that side screw is a sob to get to. I accidentally popped off the white plastic guide and was doing it all by feel.

The last thing I want to do is have to pull that bumper of again to get to the back of the assembly.

Thanks to whomever may still be monitoring this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I decided to get to the bottom of it myself - see my post here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8714814

Last edited by mrredpants; 09-16-14 at 06:38 PM. Reason: added solution post / video
Old 10-15-14, 11:18 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Default afs

Originally Posted by ocd
So I manually adjusted them at 25' on a level floor and they suddenly started working again...cool. Now I got the perfect horizontal cut off! Previous owner must have had them way out of aim and the AFS didn't like it.

Sweet! I'm glad I didn't have to buy sensors or headlights!
sorry to bring this thread from the dead ...but im having the same problem here....everybody here seams like they never heard anything like this . I have no warning lights on my dash for afs , my lights still swivels on turn but it wont move up and down on startup . When it doesnt move up or down on startup it means auto leveling is set on default . My lights is aiming very low . You said all you did was adjust it farther out and the autolevel came back ?
Old 07-28-15, 04:51 AM
andrecito
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusls4
sorry to bring this thread from the dead ...but im having the same problem here....everybody here seams like they never heard anything like this . I have no warning lights on my dash for afs , my lights still swivels on turn but it wont move up and down on startup . When it doesnt move up or down on startup it means auto leveling is set on default . My lights is aiming very low . You said all you did was adjust it farther out and the autolevel came back ?
Hey did you ever figure out how to fix this problem. My 2011 GS350 just started to do exactly what you described.
Old 08-03-15, 06:13 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Hi it's ok to bring this thread back, yes I did fix this problem . I'm wondering if you have the same issue? If you are having this same issue look at the projector beam if it's pointing down ...as I stated the light beam test procedure starts moving up first, then down and back up to normal height. If it rest at the down position it will not move pass the middle towards the top. The light should be jam at the down position. If you have question you can ask ...like to help you out
Old 10-02-15, 08:30 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, but what do you look for if only the passenger side headlight moves up and down upon start up but driverside doesn't move and AFS light off light is blinking?
Old 01-24-17, 07:06 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to bring up an old thread but just noticed my auto leveling isn't working at all. Any thoughts?

Edit, just checked, they still move but seems only slightly.

Last edited by istarzan; 01-24-17 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-30-17, 06:49 PM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by istarzan
Sorry to bring up an old thread but just noticed my auto leveling isn't working at all. Any thoughts?

Edit, just checked, they still move but seems only slightly.
when you crank up the car does it test itself by moving up then down and slightly side to side . If it doesn't it mean it's stuck in the lower position ,and it will only do this test if it rest at its normal position . I had that problem with my afs on my ls430 adaptive headlight. I think what I did was when I had some one crank up the car I listen to the leveling motor to see if it's alive. You'll usually hear a clicking noise if it's stuck and it's trying to move up . Anyways have some crank up the car and as soon as the headlight turn on slightly tap on the headlight them it will move back up to the normal position . If it doesn't rest at the normal position it will not move at all. Are you getting a really low light beam when it's on ? Let me know if it works and ask if you need to know more , I'm sure this will work .
Old 01-30-17, 07:11 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Did you check the leveling sensors on the suspension? Something could of come loose or moved. If it's like my old GS400 the sensors are located on F/R driver side. Your gonna have to remove the wheels to take a look.
Old 01-30-17, 07:36 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The lights still move up and down when I start the car, just not as pronounced as I remember 5 years ago. It never moved side to side when it starts from what I know.
Old 01-31-17, 04:59 PM
videopho
Driver School Candidate

No matter how I adjusted mine. It seemed to work during the adjustment but it came right back when I drive at night and it's still LOW which I hate to drive at night and I normally drive fast too.
Old 02-06-17, 10:42 AM
lexusls4
Pit Crew

Default leveling

Originally Posted by videopho
No matter how I adjusted mine. It seemed to work during the adjustment but it came right back when I drive at night and it's still LOW which I hate to drive at night and I normally drive fast too.
ok this,is,very simple ...if your headlight still calibrate at start up then it's your rear leveling sensor . All you need to do is remove the leveler hand, and move it up and down to see if the light correspond to it. Mines when it died it actually got stuck and never calibrate upon start up, so it was pointed down all the time . If it's both light , you should look into the rear sensor for malfunction . It's a coincidence for both motors,to go out at the same time . I know some people say that things that come in pair ,if one fail the other not far ...I call that bull**** . Unless it fail today and the other one weeks later,but not exactly at the same time . Anyways do as I stated ,turn on the engine set the light to auto. As soon as the car turn in bang on the headlight ,it should move if it's stuck on default which is aiming down . That will only work if your motors are still good but I don't think both motors are dead at the same time.
Old 01-07-18, 03:26 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Are there separate fuses for left and right sides?
My driver side light doesn't do the up/down movement anymore. and just aims at the ground. But the passenger side still moves.
Someone mentioned there was a sensor on the suspension? Would it effect only one side of the lights? I ask this because about 2-3 months ago I had my suspension replaced on my 2006 GS350.
Old 01-08-18, 06:04 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
Are there separate fuses for left and right sides?
My driver side light doesn't do the up/down movement anymore. and just aims at the ground. But the passenger side still moves.
Someone mentioned there was a sensor on the suspension? Would it effect only one side of the lights? I ask this because about 2-3 months ago I had my suspension replaced on my 2006 GS350.
There is only a front and rear sensor on the driver's side that will affect left and right. No separate sensor for left and right and no separate fuse as far as I know, at least on the IS.

Quick Reply: Auto leveling headlights not calibrating at start up