IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Old 08-07-14, 07:51 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Without enough incidents, its a lot harder to make a case. You said it yourself, the US market moves the higher volume, which means more cases of the carbon build-up arise. More cases means a stronger argument in a lawsuit, which is why legal action is taken more often in the US.

In Canada there are simply too few cases of the carbon build-up.
Yes, we are far less litigious here. =)

I just had my GS approved for the similar service to this (piston rings, valves), going in for the repair soon. I'm in Toronto.

I guess if they find cylinder walls in bad shape it adds a few days to the repair time because then they have to order more stuff... I expect that it is pretty rare that they replace short blocks but I certainly wouldn't mind them going the distance.
Old 08-07-14, 08:31 AM
robtwo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Yes, we are far less litigious here. =)

I just had my GS approved for the similar service to this (piston rings, valves), going in for the repair soon. I'm in Toronto.

I guess if they find cylinder walls in bad shape it adds a few days to the repair time because then they have to order more stuff... I expect that it is pretty rare that they replace short blocks but I certainly wouldn't mind them going the distance.
They'll likely hone the walls. So it's off to a machine shop to do that work.
Old 08-07-14, 11:13 AM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by robtwo
They'll likely hone the walls. So it's off to a machine shop to do that work.
Actually... TSB:

B. Thoroughly clean and decarbonize the pistons and engine block cylinder bores.
NOTE
Engine block components (i.e., piston pin bushing, connecting rod bearings, etc.) found to be outside of Repair Manual specification as per the Inspection Procedure should be replaced as necessary.

HINT
If necessary, sublet specialized and precision operations to a local engine machining shop.

C. Inspect the cylinder bore for abnormal damage.
Visually check the cylinder bore for the presence of crosshatch.
^ If the cylinder bore has visible crosshatch, the cylinder block is OK to re-use.
^ Confirm that only light vertical marks are present, if any.

NOTE
^ It is normal for an in-service block to have light markings present from carbon and should not be interpreted as excessive cylinder wall scratches.
^ ONLY replace the short block if multiple, severe scratches are present.
^ Do NOT hone the cylinder walls.
Old 08-09-14, 07:48 AM
65beto
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2007 IS250 and the "VSC CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" came on few days ago. But I don't feel any misfires. Should I have the codes read first or just bring this P.O.S. to the dealer (Lexus of Edison)
TIA
Old 08-09-14, 06:28 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by 65beto
I have a 2007 IS250 and the "VSC CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" came on few days ago. But I don't feel any misfires. Should I have the codes read first or just bring this P.O.S. to the dealer (Lexus of Edison)
TIA
Could be anything just read the codes, if you don't have a scanner get a BT dongle and Torque or a cheap standalone scanner - I don't know why anybody would own a car and not have the ability to at least rudimentary read and clear codes. Taking it to Lexus will just result in an automatic half hour of labor, totally wasted money if it turns out to be something stupid.
Old 08-12-14, 04:53 AM
65beto
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I went to AUTOZONE and they found this codes stored PO051 and C1201. This should be cover by the emission warranty?
Old 09-10-14, 06:28 AM
MrHarris
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by farsn
From my experience, the repairs has helped with the rpm issue. The car is more responsive from a stop and I haven't experienced the rough idles/bogging issues. The one downfall I have been experiencing is lower mpg's. Nothing too drastic, but noticeable (25 to 24). I had my repair done a month ago.
This. Car is much more responsive and feels about 20% more powerful. I get about 1-2mpg less average though. No idle issues now. Been 16k miles.
Old 09-15-14, 01:59 PM
bigeasy043
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the past 3-4 months I've had an issue with very hard/vibrating starts where it sounds like extremely low oil pressure. It's a harsh sound with vibration and only last a second or two. It has been happening more and more frequently lately to where in the last 3 weeks, the car won't even start on first (sometimes second) attempt. Then when it finally does start it's the vibration/clanking sound. I don't seem to have any issues with vibration when idle but given how frequent the rough starts (and no starts) have been I've become very concerned.

I took it to the dealership today (where it had another hard start on my drive there) and mentioned the CSP related to engine misfires and just got a call from the dealership that everyone checked out okay. I told him that it happened today and generally happens on a cold start. He said they would hold the car overnight and start it in the morning to see if anything comes up. I know it's a bit premature but I'm fearful I will get a call tomorrow with the same explanation.

From reading nearly this entire thread I've gathered that my best recourse would be to try and call lexus corporate; however, I wanted to run this by everyone to A) get comfort that this is likely the issue and B) that this is the best course of action. I'm not really sure what else I can say to the dealer when they tell me every checks out fine as within specified manufacturing settings.

I bought the car about a year ago with 82k miles and now it has around 86.5k. I got the maintenance history from the lexus website and it doesn't sound as though the CSP repair was done before but may have been checked out?

Really appreciate any insights.

********************UPDATE****************

I just got another call back and they said the problem is the cam shaft and is related to TSIB BRIEF ENGINE KNOCK/RATTLE NOISE AT COLD STARTUP. She said I'm out of warranty and cost would be around $2-2.5k. I explained the CSP related to the engine misfire and she said it has nothing to do with that. Does this sound right??

Last edited by bigeasy043; 09-15-14 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-15-14, 08:54 PM
BinaryJay

Originally Posted by bigeasy043
Over the past 3-4 months I've had an issue with very hard/vibrating starts where it sounds like extremely low oil pressure. It's a harsh sound with vibration and only last a second or two. It has been happening more and more frequently lately to where in the last 3 weeks, the car won't even start on first (sometimes second) attempt. Then when it finally does start it's the vibration/clanking sound. I don't seem to have any issues with vibration when idle but given how frequent the rough starts (and no starts) have been I've become very concerned.

I took it to the dealership today (where it had another hard start on my drive there) and mentioned the CSP related to engine misfires and just got a call from the dealership that everyone checked out okay. I told him that it happened today and generally happens on a cold start. He said they would hold the car overnight and start it in the morning to see if anything comes up. I know it's a bit premature but I'm fearful I will get a call tomorrow with the same explanation.

From reading nearly this entire thread I've gathered that my best recourse would be to try and call lexus corporate; however, I wanted to run this by everyone to A) get comfort that this is likely the issue and B) that this is the best course of action. I'm not really sure what else I can say to the dealer when they tell me every checks out fine as within specified manufacturing settings.

I bought the car about a year ago with 82k miles and now it has around 86.5k. I got the maintenance history from the lexus website and it doesn't sound as though the CSP repair was done before but may have been checked out?

Really appreciate any insights.

********************UPDATE****************

I just got another call back and they said the problem is the cam shaft and is related to TSIB BRIEF ENGINE KNOCK/RATTLE NOISE AT COLD STARTUP. She said I'm out of warranty and cost would be around $2-2.5k. I explained the CSP related to the engine misfire and she said it has nothing to do with that. Does this sound right??
The sound like putting a cell phone in a blender for a couple of seconds after the car has been sitting for a long time is what they told you it is. The GS also does it, and while I was having the rings done on my GS the new camry (!) loaner they gave me to drive also did it. They would have done the TSB for the VVTi gear noise at the same time without adding labor but the cost of the gear sets alone was like $1200 so I said forget it (it isn't harmful to the car, and it only does it infrequently, and it seems like changing oils helps)... it's not worth that kind of money just for a ghetto sound once every few weeks. Of course my car never made that sound one bit until it was out of warranty.

Go get the oil changed, I think the noise is worse when the oil level is a bit low... if you're using synthetic, I found that synthetic oil makes it happen more often as well. In fact, I have not heard it happen at all since I got the ring job done and they flushed my almost brand new amsoil down the drain and replaced it with their standard dino stuff. I'm thinking I'm just going to stick to regular OCI with cheap oil from now on if that noise never returns when skipping the princess oil changes.

Last edited by BinaryJay; 09-15-14 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-26-14, 07:44 PM
hypnotiq
Driver School Candidate

ok. to the point 1. you must have an 06- GS or 06-09 IS and certain 2010 IS models.
2. you must let them know your car misfires. (characterized by vibrating, shuddering or shaking, and in a bad scenario...... limp mode(check engine light flashing)which is your car misfiring so bad the computer down grades your ability to put the pedal to the metal as a fail safe to save your Cats)
3. Lexus performs a duplication process and advises you if your a pass or fail.
from what I've seen, the csp(customer support program) covers 9yrs from your purchase date regardless of mileage. ask your dealer if these engine repairs are a regular at their shop. they might not know how many are done, but they do know if it's a regular occurrence at their shop.

if you want to perform the duplication test yourself : 1. warm engine until temp gauge reads approx. center between cold and hot.
2. rev engine to 4000 rpm for 30 sec
3 immediately as you get to 30 sec, rev the **** out of it to 6000 rpm very quickly and immediately release gas pedal.
4 let come back to idle and if misfires are present you will know by the unmistakable shaking/shuddering. you may not get misfires the first time around either or codes, but the dealer near my house sometimes keeps the cars overnight to try what they described as a cold soak.
Bonus: 06 GS & IS owners get new top engine parts also, like valve springs ect. the key is finding the dealer that knows this repair from paper work to repair. good luck all... oh yeah last bonus. have your water pump checked for leaks..... you shouldn't pay any labor when having it replaced which is usually 3 hours.
Old 12-01-14, 04:22 PM
goldie2006
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealer Had No Idea About Problem

I called my Lexus SA (new to me) and explained that my VSC and engine lights were on, and that I had error codes of PO302 and others, including a code for O2 sensor (stopped to get it checked at Pep Boys on the road). I mentioned the customer support program. He literally laughed at me. He had no idea what I was talking about. He said to bring it in for diagnostics ($130) and then we can discuss what the problem is.

I did not receive (or could have thrown out) the letter others are discussing. I don't want to fall through a loophole with the program and certainly cannot afford an engine rebuild. My car has been driving 'rough' since I can remember.

I'm taking it in tomorrow for the diagnostics. Anything I should be saying to the SA on my behalf without the letter?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-14, 04:55 PM
Meguerra
Driver

Originally Posted by goldie2006
I called my Lexus SA (new to me) and explained that my VSC and engine lights were on, and that I had error codes of PO302 and others, including a code for O2 sensor (stopped to get it checked at Pep Boys on the road). I mentioned the customer support program. He literally laughed at me. He had no idea what I was talking about. He said to bring it in for diagnostics ($130) and then we can discuss what the problem is.

I did not receive (or could have thrown out) the letter others are discussing. I don't want to fall through a loophole with the program and certainly cannot afford an engine rebuild. My car has been driving 'rough' since I can remember.

I'm taking it in tomorrow for the diagnostics. Anything I should be saying to the SA on my behalf without the letter?

Thanks.

Go to this link, Scroll down to post #748, Print out the IS250 Rough Idle - L-SB-0029-10.pdf file and the jpeg image of the CSP notice letter and take them with you to the dealer.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8081737
Old 12-01-14, 05:24 PM
RileyIS250
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys - I'm new here but was on my.is forum for a few years... I stopped paying attention to that site for awhile and now I'm freaked about keeping my 2006 - IS250 for another 5 years as I read about this DI carbon build up issue.

My engine has been fine so far at 83K miles but now pretty worried about occurring down the road over the next year or 2. I'm really wondering if I should go find another car and not risk this issue coming up as I'm at the end of the 9 year window of Lexus fixing this issue.

So what's the verdict? wait for Lexus to develop a oil catch can OR go buy an after-market OCC OR just walk any and trade it in and find another car?

Should I have the dealer clean the valves (somehow)... at my cost I assume given I'm not having the issue....

Or clean them myself?
Old 12-08-14, 02:16 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

RileyIS250 - if your car is eligible you can have them check for it at no cost.

I just had my 2007 in and they said they got it to misfire. It never threw any codes and would only shudder maybe once a month or so and I DD it. In any case, they kept my car for a week while I drove around a new IS350 and my car was returned to me pretty much the same. I'll probably take it in again next year just to double check it.
Old 12-09-14, 04:53 AM
jmanng
Driver School Candidate

Well I had it happen to me again yesterday, on the 401 during morning rush hour. This is the third time in 1.5 years. I still have the engine & traction light on today (traction light no longer flashing though) but it ran fine last night on the way home and again to work today (180km a day).

It seems to me, that whenever I let the car sit for a few days, then I see the problem. Back in the spring, I also had the engine completely die on me just as I pulled onto the roadway leaving me suddenly powerless - luckily I was able to coast to a complete stop, put it back in park and then after a little bit of braying, it kicked back up and no more problem (engine and vsc light on again). Once again, this was when I had the rear bumper being repainted at the body shop and the vehicle had sat around for a couple of days. Wondering now if I should be filing a complaint with the transportation ministry - If I had rushed out onto the roadway, I could have been t-boned crossing the road back into the parking lot at work (shorncliffe road is a very busy road used by heavy transport trucks all day long).

A friend of mine also has a 2010 is250 (awd) has had this happen a number of times. He's taken the vehicle in to lexus - all they seem to do is clear the lights, I'll have to ask him again this weekend what they give him as the explanation/resolution or if they just play the game that the car is working fine and their not able to reproduce the issue, no know issues.

We need Lexus Canada to step-up!

Jaime
2008 IS250 (RWD)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP