IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Old 09-26-12, 02:45 PM
caoh14
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Just an update for those that are interested:

I got my car back today and my SA told me they are going to order the parts for the replacement but before they could do anything I will need to have the spark plugs replaced. I just ordered some sparks from Sewell and will be replacing them myself. I'll let you guys know in a few weeks, hopefully when it is all done.
Old 09-26-12, 02:48 PM
caoh14
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nitrotang
Did you have any codes/problems when you took your car in? Or did you just take it in as a precautionary thing?
I did not have any codes but I did experience the rough idle. This is mostly after a quick stop and sometimes after starting the car. My SA said they found OLD codes of misfire and diagnosed that it was misfiring in multiple cylinders. He even said he was going to order the parts to get it installed, so I assume they are going to get this fixed although the car was not throwing any CURRENT codes. Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-12, 03:18 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by caoh14
I did not have any codes but I did experience the rough idle. This is mostly after a quick stop and sometimes after starting the car. My SA said they found OLD codes of misfire and diagnosed that it was misfiring in multiple cylinders. He even said he was going to order the parts to get it installed, so I assume they are going to get this fixed although the car was not throwing any CURRENT codes. Hope this helps.
Which dealer in California did you bring your car to?
Old 09-27-12, 01:05 PM
DanIS06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, here is my story about this problem.
06, IS250, 75000 miles, never had any problems but read here about carbon buld up and oil consumption issues. Arround 10 month ago right before my scheduled oil change "Low oil" indicator came up, didnt pay too much attention just change oil at NTB shop. after another 5k miles "Low oil" again. Now arround 1,5 month ago went to dealer explain problem and also ask to replace my spark plugs.
SA told me we need to test it. Filled up oil, come back in 1k miles we'll see if there is oil drop. Told me no point to replace sprk plugs, if we will be dealing with oil problem will do sprks plugs at same time.
Come back after 1k miles and:
"Tech found oil level low. had to add 1.8 quarts to get level back" SA told me call corporate here is case number, explain problem.
So i called corporate , explain all this they told me, yes, its a known problem, we have special team, but we cannot do anything right now, we need to watch your car if any more errors came up like "check engine" with spark missfire then we will probaly do something.
So i been calling them back and forth, tell them its been over 10 month, but never any error codes came up .
Then found out here about letters ( i didnt get my yet) called corporate again tey told me yes we know we are working on it. Then this morning SA from delar called saying i've been approved for repair. Drop car, got loaner. SA told me we will replace plugs at same time. Corporate called right after , explained that local manager aproved my case and they will fixed everething.
In my case i got aproved without any errors in the system or "engine check" light.
Old 09-27-12, 02:54 PM
Gr33nHrn3t
Driver

My SA told me that I needed at least 10 misfires....I had 0. lol....
I know my car has the rough idling and he told me to come back when the symptoms are more pronounced....looks like I'll be driving a lot more!
Just FYI don't seafoam your car as it will lessen the chances of being approved for the CSP.
Old 09-27-12, 07:02 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vicsis250
I just tried to get this done at a local lexus dealer if their are no misfire codes they will not do the job period. And even if it shows bad signs of this and it doesn't have the trouble codes they are looking for they will not to the job just FYI. My service advisor is currently dealing with problem like this and some are getting fixed and some just cannot cuz of no misfire codes.
You and Ca1vin have dealerships that are doing it wrong. Apparently they need to learn how to read. The CSP addresses the misfire codes AND rough idle. There is also a service bulletin on the procedure to duplicate the misfire. There are tons of cases with no check engine light. The dealership must be able to create the misfire and record it.

By the way, the 10 misfires does not mean 10 separate incidents. They are referring to a 10 count misfire. meaning a rapid count of 10 in a row misfires on a single cylinder. That's around 3 seconds of rough idling and a 10 count may not get approved. IF your dealer can get a quick 30 count on a single cylinder, you're in good shape for approval. But what happens to you does not matter. It's what happens when the car is at the dealer and the data is being recorded.

And the funny thing about people telling you that you need a code......the misfire code won't get you a dam* thing. It's not hard to fabricate a misfire code......and that's why it doesn't matter. Also, even non-fabricated misfire codes can be caused by things other than carbon. A carbon caused misfire is very easy to identify in a 30 second data recording.
Old 09-27-12, 07:35 PM
ghwanee
Rookie

So I took my car in(2008 IS250 AWD) to get serviced for my NAV and other warranty issues that expired but asking if they could still do it. I also mentioned the carbon build up issue because I felt that there was a random misfire that was slightly noticable. But I really didn't feel very rough idle. So they took the car and gave me a loaner and I waited all day yesterday to get a call back and I didn't get any call from the SA. Today, I get a call and they found that there was an issue and they will have to order parts to replace the piston and stuff. I didn't even think that my car really qualified but apparantly they did tests all day yesterday and found that it was a problem. I have no idea when I'll get my car back but they did give me a 2011 IS250 for a loaner so I'm not really complaining.
Old 09-27-12, 09:38 PM
flyfl1pguy

Car has been at the dealer since Mon. and today my service adviser has given me good news that they have submitted a request to corporate for the repair. It wasn't even a day and corporate approved the work.
Now that this big job will be done, I am now hesitant about keeping this car.
My 02 IS has not given me any problems and this 06 has been horrendous.
Been looking into selling it, but I just can't seem to let it go.
Ill just have to see how the work will turn out and hopefully this fix will make the car run better!
Old 09-28-12, 08:40 AM
maniacbob
Driver

I haven't experience any major issue at all with my IS, but I think I'm going to see if they can look at it when I take mines in for an oil change. With 115,000 miles on mine, I've only experienced 1 rough idle so far.

@flyfl1pguy, sorry to hear that you've experienced so much issue with your IS. It really does come down to luck when you're buying a car, and hoping you didn't buy one that was built faulty.
Old 09-28-12, 10:09 AM
Ca1vN
Driver

Originally Posted by diagtime
You and Ca1vin have dealerships that are doing it wrong. Apparently they need to learn how to read. The CSP addresses the misfire codes AND rough idle. There is also a service bulletin on the procedure to duplicate the misfire. There are tons of cases with no check engine light. The dealership must be able to create the misfire and record it.

By the way, the 10 misfires does not mean 10 separate incidents. They are referring to a 10 count misfire. meaning a rapid count of 10 in a row misfires on a single cylinder. That's around 3 seconds of rough idling and a 10 count may not get approved. IF your dealer can get a quick 30 count on a single cylinder, you're in good shape for approval. But what happens to you does not matter. It's what happens when the car is at the dealer and the data is being recorded.

And the funny thing about people telling you that you need a code......the misfire code won't get you a dam* thing. It's not hard to fabricate a misfire code......and that's why it doesn't matter. Also, even non-fabricated misfire codes can be caused by things other than carbon. A carbon caused misfire is very easy to identify in a 30 second data recording.
"The dealership must be able to create the misfire and record it."

i spoke to my SA yesterday they said that they cant manipulate the engine to cause the misfire they have to have the codes already there. and that it's a big no no from lexus to "force" the misfire and/or code. is there any proof or writing of what you said about this? id like to print it out and show my SA.
Old 09-28-12, 03:10 PM
supralative
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our 09 has the recall already done it...thank you Lexus for taking care of that one.
Old 09-28-12, 03:20 PM
nitrotang
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by supralative
Our 09 has the recall already done it...thank you Lexus for taking care of that one.
How's it run now? Anymore rough idles?
Old 09-28-12, 05:11 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ca1vN
"The dealership must be able to create the misfire and record it."

i spoke to my SA yesterday they said that they cant manipulate the engine to cause the misfire they have to have the codes already there. and that it's a big no no from lexus to "force" the misfire and/or code. is there any proof or writing of what you said about this? id like to print it out and show my SA.
YES!! the service bulletin that's part of the csp mentions it but they made an entire new set of instructions specifically for this CSP. tell the idiots to print out tech tip L-TT-0093-12 titled "Engine Misfire Duplication Procedure-MIL "ON" DTC P030# and/or Intermittently Runs Rough"

Ah what the hell, someone will post it on here eventually so i'll tell you the important stuff on it.

Some IS250 and GS300 vehicles may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:
• MIL “ON” DTC P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, and/or P0306
• Intermittently runs rough after coming to a stop with the engine at operating temperature
• Intermittently runs rough with engine misfires present after a cold soak startup
NOTE:
The recommendations in this document apply to an intermittent misfire concern. If a vehicle exhibits a steady misfire, the root cause is not related to the referenced service bulletins and the repair manual should be referenced for diagnosis.

Confirm and duplicate the condition by performing the following:
1.Prior to starting the vehicle, start recording an Engine “All Data” snapshot on the Techstream
2. If the engine is cold, start and allow the vehicle to reach operating temperature while monitoring for misfire activity
3. Once the engine is at operating temperature per the “Coolant Temp” data parameter, repeat the following steps:
a) Increase engine speed to 4000 RPM and hold for 30 seconds
b) After 30 seconds, momentarily rev the engine above 4000 RPM and allow the engine to return to idle
c) Monitor the data list for misfire activity once the engine returns to idle
d) Perform steps a) through c) up to 10 cycles maximum or until a multiple misfire count event is duplicated
4. Create a TA case and attach the Techstream file with any relevant data
5. Contact the TAS hotline for further assistance prior to starting any repairs
Old 09-28-12, 05:14 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

the fact is THEY CAN'T EVEN PERFORM A CSP BASED ON A MISFIRE CODE. I don't understand how your dealership can be so poorly informed. Lexus will not approve it without the the data recording mentioned above.
Old 09-28-12, 09:56 PM
Ca1vN
Driver

Originally Posted by diagtime
YES!! the service bulletin that's part of the csp mentions it but they made an entire new set of instructions specifically for this CSP. tell the idiots to print out tech tip L-TT-0093-12 titled "Engine Misfire Duplication Procedure-MIL "ON" DTC P030# and/or Intermittently Runs Rough"

Ah what the hell, someone will post it on here eventually so i'll tell you the important stuff on it.

Some IS250 and GS300 vehicles may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:
• MIL “ON” DTC P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, and/or P0306
• Intermittently runs rough after coming to a stop with the engine at operating temperature
• Intermittently runs rough with engine misfires present after a cold soak startup
NOTE:
The recommendations in this document apply to an intermittent misfire concern. If a vehicle exhibits a steady misfire, the root cause is not related to the referenced service bulletins and the repair manual should be referenced for diagnosis.

Confirm and duplicate the condition by performing the following:
1.Prior to starting the vehicle, start recording an Engine “All Data” snapshot on the Techstream
2. If the engine is cold, start and allow the vehicle to reach operating temperature while monitoring for misfire activity
3. Once the engine is at operating temperature per the “Coolant Temp” data parameter, repeat the following steps:
a) Increase engine speed to 4000 RPM and hold for 30 seconds
b) After 30 seconds, momentarily rev the engine above 4000 RPM and allow the engine to return to idle
c) Monitor the data list for misfire activity once the engine returns to idle
d) Perform steps a) through c) up to 10 cycles maximum or until a multiple misfire count event is duplicated
4. Create a TA case and attach the Techstream file with any relevant data
5. Contact the TAS hotline for further assistance prior to starting any repairs
this is very good. do you have the original bulletin and link or pdf of some sort i wanna print it out and show my SA when i go in the next few weeks. apparently he's saying this is illegal. and lexus doesnt support them doing this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP