IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Having Carbon Buildup Issue?
YES! Experiencing vibration/shaking at the stop
50.00%
NO! Car runs smoothly
50.00%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: IS250 Owners, How many of you having Carbon Buildup problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 10:32 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by juvi22003
I brought my car originally for the cam gears, but they told me the cam gears were fine but one of the cylinders were miss firing. They replaced all pistons, gasket and some other lil stuff lol. Car feels much better but all my dash lights are still on, weird. Oh well waiting on that new body style i might just upgrade
Take it back.

Shouldn't have any lights on the dash!

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The question is, at what point does Lexus usually come in and issue some sort customer assistance program? I forgot what it was a few years ago, but they were issuing $500 gift cards and extending warranties on IS350's for some chronic problem. Engines nearly stalling with check engine lights is not a small deal. Being without your car for weeks at a time is not a small deal. Having to rebuild major parts of the engine is not a small deal. See the theme? It's time for them to step in and restore some faith in the brand, I of which am not too willing to promote right now.
You and me both.
Both our cars have spent GOOD time at Longo Lexus for this issue!
I'm losing faith in the brand too, especially if they don't wanna step forward and realize this isn't a small issue.

Last edited by KillaIS250; 06-07-12 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 10:44 PM
topspeed55
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only got 15K miles on mine so obviously no carbon issues here. I'm going to be testing out the "a redline a day keeps the carbon away" analogy. Also going to seafoam it next oil change and every other 20K miles.
Old 06-08-12, 10:25 AM
TheRusski
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Had it twice now. First time, had the top engine clean done. About 20k miles later, issues again. This time, had the pistons replaced via the new TSIB. 1,000 miles later, carbon build up is present again along with a misfire code once again. Picture were taken, compression and leak down tests where taken... Info was sent by the dealer to Lexus corporate. They are rejecting any further repairs at this time. My SA believes something bigger (I hope recall) is on the way if they are rejecting my repair despite having all the issues confirmed. I really hope so.

It doesn't seem like many people are complaining about this issue to corporate though. I think if more people make corporate aware, they will do something quicker.
After all the drama with stuck gas pedals I would think Lexus would not want this to go public again, I read up on Edmunds and people even there complaining about violent shaking and their dealers replacing pistons and not knowing that its a common problem with all the IS250, Customers should ALWAYS come first in this kind of business especially of the amount of reputation Lexus has (had) in the last decade, like you said I think more people need to start complaining to corporate and not just the dealer and this issue needs to go public.
Old 06-08-12, 10:34 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Take it back.

Shouldn't have any lights on the dash!

You and me both.
Both our cars have spent GOOD time at Longo Lexus for this issue!
I'm losing faith in the brand too, especially if they don't wanna step forward and realize this isn't a small issue.
Yeah i will once i bring it in for the next oil change, i think they hate seeing my car pull up to the dealership they always complaining how low it is lol plus they broke my front lip im trying to get back my money from them !!!
Old 06-08-12, 10:59 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRusski
After all the drama with stuck gas pedals I would think Lexus would not want this to go public again, I read up on Edmunds and people even there complaining about violent shaking and their dealers replacing pistons and not knowing that its a common problem with all the IS250, Customers should ALWAYS come first in this kind of business especially of the amount of reputation Lexus has (had) in the last decade, like you said I think more people need to start complaining to corporate and not just the dealer and this issue needs to go public.
I have complained the issue to corporate directly, however the corporate called me and told me for any future issues that I should contact with the dealer instead of corporate office. It's a wild goose chase on this issue and I'm tired of addressing this issue to either the dealer and the corporate.

If the problem gets worse, my last option would be to trade in the car.
Old 06-08-12, 02:14 PM
JETLEX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't vote in the poll, but thought I'd share this story -

when I went to the dealer lot, they had 2 different used IS250s that had just arrived. I drove them both. During the test drives, I took both cars on the highway, exited for a U-turn, then took the feeder road back to the dealership.

On the feeder road was a stoplight. While sitting at the light in the first car, the idle went way down, the car shuddered, & the brake pedal dropped causing the car to move forward a couple feet before my foot could catch up.

The idle also seemed low when changing from D-R and back (like I had to do when re-parking the car in a tight spot on the lot), and the transmission hesitated for what seemed longer than normal when switching gears, and would have a little jerk when it finally did shift.
I pointed the problems out to the sales person, sales manager, and service manager - they didn't say anything or seemed concerned. Even though I did a lot of research at the time, I wasn't aware of the severity of the carbon build up / idle issues, and wasn't sure what the cause could be.

Needless to say, I purchased the second car which did not have any issues during the test drive (a friend also drove it just to be sure I did not miss anything).
Old 06-08-12, 03:15 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Mine has ~120K miles, shuddered getting off the line at a red light last week. Last time it happened before that I can't remember (at least a year ago) and I have never had a check engine light come on in relation to this issue. I WOT at least 4-5 times a week through at least one upshift.
Old 06-08-12, 10:17 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

I'm all in the favor of information collection but it's not really a valid poll unless it separates those with 2010 and later IS250s from earlier models, because there was a production change mid-2010 that is supposed to address the carbon buildup.

I'd love to know if anyone with a post-TSIB VIN number has had issues with the new engine parts and carbon buildup.
Old 06-08-12, 11:29 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I seriously doubt there will be a permanent fix. Even production changes will only delay the buildup.
Old 06-09-12, 06:38 AM
TheRusski
Rookie

Originally Posted by MBTC
I'm all in the favor of information collection but it's not really a valid poll unless it separates those with 2010 and later IS250s from earlier models, because there was a production change mid-2010 that is supposed to address the carbon buildup.

I'd love to know if anyone with a post-TSIB VIN number has had issues with the new engine parts and carbon buildup.
Ive seen a post somewhere on here about 2010 having carbon issues at 16k miles
Old 06-09-12, 06:50 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

I have 20,000 miles on my 2011 and have not noticed any issues.

Jeff
Old 06-09-12, 09:44 AM
TheRusski
Rookie

My coworker recommended to run Full tank of racing gas, I don't know anything about the engines, does that even makes sense to you guys?
Old 06-09-12, 11:22 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

My coworker recommended to run Full tank of racing gas, I don't know anything about the engines, does that even makes sense to you guys?
It wouldn't help unfortunately. Even if it had a lot of detergents/carbon removing additives, the fuel never touches the valves in an IS250, which is why the carbon is allowed to build up there in the first place.

Jeff
Old 06-09-12, 10:15 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

I never had any issues with the 250's I had.
Old 06-10-12, 01:02 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't do anything for the carbon build up issue.

And running racing gas has no benefit anyway in a car that is tuned to run on premium

Quick Reply: POLL: IS250 Owners, How many of you having Carbon Buildup problems?