dadon4sho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation thinking about buying a 2007 is 250

hey guys my hear is set on a IS i need your help on a couple of things
what should i look for?
any major problems?
things to avoid?
anything to make my purchase easier would help thanks!!!
Old 05-03-12, 10:02 PM
Traxxer
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html
Old 05-03-12, 10:08 PM
gemini1
FNM President

Welcome to CL.
get a car fax!
ask how many owner's?
Old 05-04-12, 05:54 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use the link two threads above. Make sure to check the dealer service history as well as Carfax and Autocheck. Many times accidents are reported only on one and not the other.

One thing to remember (and this is in the above thread) is that the IS250's carbon build-up issue could cause some costly headaches outside the 6 year/70k powertrain warranty. I have a 350, which doesn't suffer from the issue, so my knowledge is limited to what I've read about it on CL, but it seems to be an issue that can recur frequently and is costly to address.

As a result, if I were you and I was dead set on a 250, I'd definitely be looking at CPO to ensure I had warranty coverage for a longer period. Add to that the potential for the cam gear and nav issues, I think CPO is very smart. I went CPO with my IS350 and the peace of mind is a huge benefit.
Old 05-04-12, 09:01 AM
IS2FIFTY
Lead Lap

Do it, you won't regret it
Old 05-04-12, 09:12 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

drive a 350 first and see if the 250 has enough power, that is my regret!
Old 05-04-12, 09:15 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

One thing I would suggest is to find a car that is NOT parted out. Meaning it has not been moded and stripped down for sale. This will ensure someone who has no clue as to what they are doing has not been pulling panels, cutting wires and swapping engine parts to make a "cool" car.

Try to find a used car that has not been too heavily tinkered with. You will find that the service history will be better.
Old 05-04-12, 09:24 AM
Dko
Driver School Candidate

I bought an 08 Is a few months ago and I love it!! Just joined the site pics to come. The fewer miles the cheaper warranty you can purchase. Mine had 24K and i extended it to 100K or until 2017 for less than $2,000. Other than that dont buy on impulse shop around and be willing to travel for the best deal!! Good Luck!
Old 05-04-12, 11:26 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the car inspected by a 3rd party before you buy, and if possible, go for a CPO
Old 05-04-12, 06:57 PM
boss22
Driver

Originally Posted by dadon4sho
hey guys my hear is set on a IS i need your help on a couple of things
what should i look for?
any major problems?
things to avoid?
anything to make my purchase easier would help thanks!!!
hey. I own one and if I would have to buy again?? No waayyy!

read this careful before you buy: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html

Without warranty on the power train stay away!!

Pros:
Awesome look but only in black or white paint (silver and any other color make this car looks average) also wheels no smaller than 18's
Good mpg for V6
very small turning space (RWD only)
0-60 time for IS 250 ain't bad my is 6.6 sec (rwd)
very nice switching 6 speed auto transmission
Sweet V6 sounds at high rpm
Audio sounds fantastic!
Heated and air conditioned seats are great!!
Shift paddles are nice toy but they work little to slow..?

Cons:
Very tight space (I would call t no space) on the back seat, if you got family - forget it.
little trunk space
stiff suspension. You can feel almost every road imperfections at least mine is. I have 18 inch wheels
feeling the road on the steering wheel is not as you can dream of.
handling at speeds 120-140 could be better. In my opinion it's not a car for speeding close to 150mph
Check the bearing hubs!! I have 48000miles and at least one of them (or both on the front) making horrible noise at 50mph and up. At the 48.000 miles in Lexus this gotta be a freakin joke...
Lot of plastic noises hard to spot (dashboard, doors panels etc..)
Stock brakes are another joke...

Overall it is a good car but as I mentioned I would never buy another one after this.

I am a little disappointed with the legendary Lexus reliability...

noisy Bearing hubs, rattle noise at cold start up, leaking windshield and back window
lately O2 sensor...

Last edited by boss22; 05-04-12 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-04-12, 08:52 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boss22
0-60 time for IS 250 ain't bad my is 6.6 sec (rwd)
Did you add a supercharger? The most optimistic 0-60 time I can find anywhere online for any year IS250 RWD is 7.1 seconds. Most test it at 7.3 - 7.5.

Shift paddles are nice toy but they work little to slow..?
That's because they're not paddle shifters, they're top gear limiters. They essentially allow you to select the top gear the car will use, nothing more. They will not function as a true paddle shifter.

stiff suspension. You can feel almost every road imperfections at least mine is. I have 18 inch wheels
feeling the road on the steering wheel is not as you can dream of.
Do you have a sport suspension? I have a 2007 IS350 with stock (non-sport/F-Sport) suspension with 18" wheels and low profile 225/40 tires, and I don't find the suspension stiff. I certainly don't feel road imperfections through the steering wheel except for a bit of tramlining, which is due to the tires as opposed to the suspension.

handling at speeds 120-140 could be better. In my opinion it's not a car for speeding close to 150mph
Let me be the first to say that wow, you're very cool because you drive fast.

Clearly this point was thrown in here to make yourself look cool by pointing out you've allegedly driven this car close to 150 MPH. I won't humor you in the discussion you clearly wanted to start about how cool you are, but I will simply point out this is an extremely irrelevant point to any buyer of an IS250, even those who track their cars.

And if you're doing this on public roads, you're endangering not only your life but those of others. Don't be juvenile.

The cam gear and carbon build up issues are definitely strong reasons to look for a CPO car (carbon build up only affects the 250). These issues affect a high percentage of 2IS, and while many have them fixed once under the powertrain warranty and don't have the issue recur, some do have the issues recur and some just don't even experience them until the warranty runs out.

If you test drive a car with rattles, make sure they fix every one before you buy the car, because no rattles are covered by any extended warranties (including CPO).

Last edited by calvin2376; 05-04-12 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-05-12, 07:45 AM
boss22
Driver

Originally Posted by calvin2376

Let me be the first to say that wow, you're very cool because you drive fast.

Clearly this point was thrown in here to make yourself look cool by pointing out you've allegedly driven this car close to 150 MPH. I won't humor you in the discussion you clearly wanted to start about how cool you are, but I will simply point out this is an extremely irrelevant point to any buyer of an IS250, even those who track their cars.

And if you're doing this on public roads, you're endangering not only your life but those of others. Don't be juvenile.
You are amusing me buddy
I am not saying I am cool. Trust me you can drive ur car fast and safe on public roads if you have at least a common sense in ur head...
You wouldn't have to buy IS 350 to drive like my grandmother, you should buy Toyota Matrix 1.8 instead if you want to win the safest driver award lol

Besides I put my point of view here to warn the guy above what IS 250's really are in my opinion, you don't have to agree wit my opinion right? But I drove many many cars (I owned a couple of bimmers) and I know that IS 350 has nothing special apart from good 0-60 time (I drove one) and uses too much gas so why buy the fast car if I couldn't (or scare) drive fast??? for the race track only??? Yeah right, you are really cool LOL!!

What I am trying to say is that this model is still to small to handle good on curves and behave firm at the high speeds isn't it??
In my opinion IS's are kinda chicks cars and I would never buy it again, and I bought mine by the accident (loong story bro )
it is only my opinion and you don't have to agree with it...

Last edited by boss22; 05-05-12 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-05-12, 07:50 AM
Mikaveli
Rookie

poppycock lol i mean my personal vote goes with a is350 i think there are more regrets with 250 purchases than 350's. but to say they are chick cars and they cant handle is a load of bull haha but let's not thread jack...follow the links above and more than anything make sure you love the car and its options who cares what everyone else thinks =) gl with your purchase
Old 05-05-12, 08:33 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Get IS350.

Get IS350.
Old 05-05-12, 11:28 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

i have 07 250 right now with the x pack, before i started modding..i would go with 350, if not be patience wait till next year to get the new model...oh another thing...listen to calvin ^^^ above post...

Quick Reply: thinking about buying a 2007 is 250