Fake Project Kics... BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 06:32 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fake Project Kics... BEWARE

Hey all,

Just wanted to post an FYI so no-one else gets burned.

I purchased a set of "Genuine" Project Kics R40 lugs from ebay, only to receive replicas. Luckily, another ebay member contacted me, and provided a link to tell if they are knock-offs or genuine.

Unfortunately, the picture the seller used was of the genuine lugs, and the item description stated 100% genuine from the manufacturer. I paid $175 + $10 shipping, and thought I would be okay as this was just slightly under retail. There were other listings for $50-$100 less, but I avoided those to ensure that I would receive genuine parts. (so much for that)

Here is the link to tell if they are genuine or not, and wanted to share this with you guys. Be careful!
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=817526
Old 05-01-12, 06:42 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn that sucks, hope you filed a Paypal claim to get your money back. They are actually pretty good about investigating sellers who sell knock-off items. Use the info in that link and pics of the product you received and you should get the money back ASAP.

Good looking out tho
Old 05-01-12, 06:54 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for pointing this info out!
Old 05-01-12, 07:40 PM
kim0217
Lead Lap

I got ripped off once, paid $200 for a set of fake R40, then I end up keep them as back up, bought another set from my buddy for $180 a set 99% new.
Old 05-01-12, 07:49 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Messed up! I've bought "genuine" stuff on eBay before and it turned out to be fake, so I know how you feel. Fortunately, there is Paypal Buyer Protection for eBay purchases.
Old 05-01-12, 07:59 PM
MashinA
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sux. U should let us know what seller it was so we can avoid it!
Old 05-01-12, 08:11 PM
Crispy
Pole Position

I appreciate the support/advice!

Yah, this is the risk you take when you eBay

I try and cover all my bases, but in the end as many of you have pointed out, eBay has buyer protection, as well as PayPal. I have emailed the seller in an attempt to rectify the problem, as per eBay policy. I gave them 48 hours to reply, or I would contact eBay/PayPal.

If the seller doesn't respond (I assume they won't), I will definitely post the sellers name. Just want to give them a chance before I slander them on a public forum.

It seems this is fairly common, and the sellers sell until they get caught and the account is banned, then just open another account. This is why I wanted to give everyone the heads-up on how to actually tell if they're genuine, although this seller posted pics in the listing of genuine parts...

I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 05-01-12, 08:49 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah bait and switch is the most common type of seller fraud on eBay and it sucks because you can't do much about avoiding it, you just find out when you get the item in the mail. My old bosses dad bought a Rolex for something like $6k off of eBay, pics showed everything a buyer would need to show its authentic, but when it came in the mail he discovered it was a fake. Unfortunately for him, Paypal only refunded him a small portion of the money (seller had already emptied out most of the account) and he had to do a lot of work himself and sued the guy in court. In the end though, he got a lot more back then what he paid for the watch - the actual money back, lawyers fees and extra cash settlement (For time spent on the case I believe)
Old 05-01-12, 08:53 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is why i buy my stuff from REV-01~ sure i might not get a 'deal' like on ebay but at least i KNOW im getting the real deals
Old 05-01-12, 09:52 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully you can get a full refund from PayPal. I hate scammers and hate dealing with eBay sometimes.
Old 05-01-12, 10:01 PM
ZeroSeVen
Lead Lap

One more reason to deal with CL's marketplace vendors.

OP didn't do nothing wrong. The seller is basically using false advertisement coupled with poor ethical practices and skimming marketing strategies just for the sake of earning more $$$.

Keep us posted if the your complaint gets rectified. And good luck
Old 05-01-12, 10:08 PM
GSE21tuner
Rookie

I agree with being safe and not buying off of ebay unless you DO want a replica.
Old 05-01-12, 10:10 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

thanks for pointing out!

*running to the garage to check*
Old 05-01-12, 10:17 PM
Fuzzie
Lead Lap

i was bidding on a set on ebay not so long ago. the seller PMed me and asked if i knew i was bidding on replica lugs. i said no, i thought i was bidding on the real thing. he/she was nice enough to just cancel my bid.
Old 05-02-12, 07:14 AM
andcas7
Driver

I stopped using eBay about a year ago, when I was selling things, as a seller it sucks, because you can do everything right, but PayPal/eBay only protect the buyers. In my case I had a buyer who purchased an item from me, then refused the delivery (tracked by USPS), I contacted the buyer about that, he said he didn't refuse it, so I asked USPS to attempt delivery again (Not easy, but didn't want to waste the shipping costs), and he refused the package again, then opened a claim for non-delivery. I showed PayPal what I had, and showed the buyer had refused delivery, not that it was not delivered, but since it did not say "delivered" I was at a loss.

So you can do everything right, sell the real item, send it fast spending your money on shipping, then get screwed by some idiot that changed his/her mind and lose what you paid for shipping. I was able to get PayPal to refund what I paid for shipping, but have not used them ever since. Not to buy, not to sell, I refuse to give them more of my money for a crappy service.

If I were you I would post the name of the seller regardless of the outcome, otherwise others will get screwed and may never find out, it will happen anyway, but at least more people are aware.

Quick Reply: Fake Project Kics... BEWARE