IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thinking about purchasing an IS250 6MT

Old 04-11-12, 07:50 PM
bforbrian
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about purchasing an IS250 6MT

Hello,

I am currently from the Acura forums, with a 2005 TL, but am looking to switch up cars. I have my eyes set on an IS250 6MT in Starfire Pearl. However, I am discouraged at the fact that Lexus did not release a 6MT for the 350 and that the 250 MT only comes with one option (Heating seats, trim and spoiler). I am a huge nut for navigation systems, especially those from Japanese platforms.

So I am still up in the air about the IS 250; I am also not sure whether I would like to finance or lease one.

Can manual 250 owners chime in with the strong and weak points of the car? This would be my first time driving a manual but have had much practice.

I am also worried that the 250 will be too small of a car, especially coming from a TL. I sat in the back seat of my friends 250 and it was pretty uncomfortable (I am 6'0" which isn't THAT tall).

And lastly, if you are financing or leasing your car, what do your monthlies look like? (State whether you have a 250 or 350 and which options, how much down, etc....)

Thanks!

Brian

Last edited by bforbrian; 04-11-12 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 07:57 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have one and haven't had problems but my Civic with a short shifter vs. my IS 250 with the F Sport short shifter is night and day. Handa's is so much smoother and less throw. Read this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-problem.html
Old 04-11-12, 08:46 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my 250 mt. Can't complain much considering my last car was an 94 Integra RS. Why don't you try test driving it and see if you like it. Financing or leasing is up to you. Are you the type that likes to switch cars every 4 years.
Old 04-11-12, 08:49 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

All i can say the navigation on this car isnt all that. Your better off with a Garmin. Second it be small in the back seat. Your not the one sitting in the back so who care
Old 04-12-12, 01:19 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As your first manual car, you wouldn't really notice too much how the manual is pretty underwhelming (at least, I didn't notice). It's only after you drive a couple other cars with a good transmission, then you realize that the MT in the IS isn't up to snuff. Also, the transmission is pretty noisy (re: marbles noise) and a bit tougher to rev-match because it revs up pretty slowly IMO. All in all, I'd probably buy my manual 250 again, if given a mulligan.

Honestly, go test drive the car. If you don't like the way the transmission feels, there's not too much that can be done (cheaply). There's the F-Sport short shifter, which I highly recommend, and you can also swap the clutch and flywheel ($$$$). Of course, you could just save yourself the frustration and money, if you don't like the way it feels to begin with.

Rear seats are small. Do you drive passengers back there often? This is something only you can really decide haha. I hardly drive anyone around, so the rear seats have never bothered me.

Good luck, and we hope to hear from you soon!
Old 04-12-12, 01:44 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coming from an Acura TL, I think you'd be happier driving a 350 over a 250. I'd recommend you drive both though and figure out which one fits your needs more. If you're into the power, the 350 will definitely win you over. If you want to save some cash right off the bat and have a great daily, the 250 is great. I wouldn't recommend the 6MT though, the transmission was borrowed from a Tacoma, so it's not the smoothest or the best for a car like the IS250.

Finance vs leasing is a personal decision. Depends on how much you drive and your plans with the car really. I financed mine because I bought CPO and even if it was new, I do a lot of miles and plan on keeping the car for as long as possible so I wouldn't have leased either way.

As far as the back seat goes, not too many people sit in the back seat of my car, so i'm fine with the leg space. It's good enough for driving around my younger brothers on the weekends, but wouldn't be comfortable for larger adults, especially on long drives. To get a larger adult sitting comfortable in the back, the front passengers have to suffer a bit on leg room lol
Old 04-12-12, 05:06 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems to me like a lot of the 6MT owners around here are ex or still Honda owners.
Old 04-12-12, 05:46 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

If you want a 6mt sedan, I believe the G35/37's still come in 6spd std. IS250 was pretty disappointing IMO. So glad I went with a 350.
Old 04-12-12, 06:27 AM
calvin2376
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're going to be disappointed with the performance of the 250 coming from a TL. I would highly recommend a 350, but if a manual is a must, then that's out.

Like the other posters said, you have to just go test drive it to know for yourself. I test drove a 250 and before I even pulled out of the parking lot I knew it was too underpowered, so I jumped in a 350 and that's what I settled on.

I can say that you will find lots of threads of lots of CL members saying that they bought a 250 and regretted it. You'll also inexplicably find a lot of people who bought 250s knowing they were slow (or not liking some performance aspect of it) thinking they'd just mod it and fix it. These cars cannot be appreciably modded to increase performance. Plus, the difference between a 250 and a 350 is only a few thousand dollars, but it gives you 50% more HP - a pretty solid return. So if you test drive a 250 and don't like it, unless you spend irrational amounts of money you're never going to like it.

If you do ultimately settle on a 2IS and you're going used, check out this buyer's guide: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-threads.html
Old 04-12-12, 07:17 AM
bforbrian
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The general trend seems to be that most aren't too satisfied with the performance of the manual transmission; I think I will go and see for myself with a test drive. Along the same platform, I am looking into a 6 speed TSX. I really want to avoid infinities (I just think they are horrible) and the 370 is too much of a performance vehicle for my own good.

I am simply looking for reliability and a smooth manual transmission.

For those who are leasing, is $500 a month with no down possible? And about what numbers would I be looking at for a 350 financed?

Thank you all for your thorough responses so far, I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 04-12-12, 07:29 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure where you got the idea that the 250mt only comes in one option, but i have the mt with nav and lux package.
Old 04-12-12, 07:29 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding lease, I put zero down on a new 2009, and am paying $469 a month, for 3 years. The residual/buyout(whatever you call it) at the end was 17k something, and I extended it another 6 months from this Feb, and the new residual/buyout will be about 15k something. The only reason I am doing lease is because under my Lexus Master's Cert., they give me $400.00 towards my lease payments.

Hopefully the IS350 looks good for you and you get that instead .
Old 04-12-12, 10:12 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Car is is very luxury, not much space in the rear especially if you drive like me with ma seat way back. I also wish the 350 came manual and that was my whole reason getting the 250 because i enjoying driving manual more. The slowest car i ever owned but its fun, as my boy told me its about looks and not speed anymore.
Old 04-12-12, 10:22 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

you might need to special order the configuration you want...

I would say go test drive one and see how you like it before you make the decision....good luck and keep us posted!

for all MT owners I definitely recommend the F-Sport quick shifter....

Last edited by kickin8; 04-12-12 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-12-12, 10:23 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by B16da9
Seems to me like a lot of the 6MT owners around here are ex or still Honda owners.

I used to have a 2.2CL 5MT too.....hahaha....an "upgrade" maybe?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about purchasing an IS250 6MT