IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dash Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 03:25 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice... I'm also thinking about getting one since someone was tried to scam or pull off an insurance scam on me.

The guy slowed down to 25 MPH on a Freeway with a 65 MPH speed limit. I'm pretty sure he wanted me to rear end him or worse. I assume that idiot wanted to put the car into reverse and said a rear-ended him. Hoovey has a video of this scam.

I caught on and bailed out to the exit lane... but I wish I had a dash cam to record the whole thing as it unfolded.

As soon as I bailed out, he sped off at 80 MPH ...
Old 04-11-12, 03:28 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
I'll try and take some videos and upload them. I haven't been using the dash cam for a few weeks because I removed it to hardwire my radar detector and have been out of town a lot, so I haven't gotten to putting it back in. But I've been happy with the quality of the videos for the price. I will say that it looks like the Blackvue's video quality is probably superior (even though they're both billed as 1080p), but the much lower price point of the Amazon one justifies it for me.
Thanks. As long as the quality is usable day and night then it's good enough for me. It's basically one of those things that I hope to never have to use but it'll be there if I need it. I'll use a GoPro for everything else.
Old 04-11-12, 03:33 PM
monet33
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes there is. There are two options for hardwiring in that area - one is the dome/sunroof area and the other is the rearview mirror. I highly recommend the latter as I think it's easier. The power comes on with the car turning on and cuts out when the car's off.
I have it hardwired to the rearview mirror with this wire but would like to get constant power so I can use the blackvue in parking mode too.
Attached Thumbnails Dash Cam?-dada_1_b.jpg  
Old 04-11-12, 03:44 PM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dash cam needed it's cig adapter to be used because of voltage. I basically took it apart, and wired that part into a fuse in the drivers side fuse box.

Mine sits taped to my radar detector.

Radar detector is hard wired to the rear view mirror. You really dont need to buy a kit, any tiny wire will work.

Old 04-11-12, 04:50 PM
endorphin
Driver School Candidate

Amazon Amazon

I got this guy a couple months back after seeing it recommended on another forum post here.

Great for the lazy guy that doesn't want to hardwire/solder since the power cable is amply long enough for you to string it through the headliner, down the door hinge, under the airbag, and connect to the cigarette lighter.
Old 04-11-12, 05:45 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by monet33
I have it hardwired to the rearview mirror with this wire but would like to get constant power so I can use the blackvue in parking mode too.
Yeah unfortunately I don't know where you can get constant power even when the car's off.

Also - the cord you linked to, is that what you're using to hardwire your radar detector or the Blackvue? I ask because there's no reason you should buy a cord like that to hardwire your radar detector if it uses the RJ11 (telephone jack) connector since you can just strip any telephone cord and use that. Cords like those cost $25 or so, and a length of telephone cord is a few bucks.

Originally Posted by endorphin
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005680BX2

I got this guy a couple months back after seeing it recommended on another forum post here.

Great for the lazy guy that doesn't want to hardwire/solder since the power cable is amply long enough for you to string it through the headliner, down the door hinge, under the airbag, and connect to the cigarette lighter.
I'm wary of getting anywhere near those A-pillars with the airbags in them. Plus, no matter how good a job you do, it won't look as clean as having it hardwired to the mirror. The instructions on this thread are great for those interested in hardwiring: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...full-post.html
Old 04-11-12, 06:02 PM
AmirLexus
Rookie

I knew they had a group buy for a dash cam a while back but i never bought it. Im interested in this also, Are there any other 1080p Camera's that someone could suggest =D
Old 04-11-12, 06:07 PM
SlickRSM
Pole Position

I have this one and like it a lot. Right now I'm just trying to figure out a better solution for hardwiring it as opposed to having the cord hanging down: http://www.amazon.com/Dashboard-Came...4117516&sr=8-8
Does it charge itself if its hardwired as well?
Old 04-11-12, 06:37 PM
LDNN
Driver

Need some more photos, please.
Old 04-11-12, 09:10 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was browsing eBay for these a few days ago. I had my search narrowed to a model with dual cameras to record front and back with night vision on both. I submitted a "best offer" because I was on the fence about the whole thing but the seller denied it.
The wife was at Target one day and when she was about to pull out someone backed into her car. The other driver was a kid in his dad's lifted F250 who denied responsibility so the insurance companies dealt 50/50 blame. A camera would have been great for that situation, but only one that captured a rear view as well.
Old 04-11-12, 10:03 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J3ffrey
My dash cam needed it's cig adapter to be used because of voltage. I basically took it apart, and wired that part into a fuse in the drivers side fuse box.

Mine sits taped to my radar detector.

Radar detector is hard wired to the rear view mirror. You really dont need to buy a kit, any tiny wire will work.
Damn you leave your radar detector in your car? Around where I live, that's just asking for the car to be broken into. Mine was stolen in no time
Old 04-11-12, 10:26 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was thinking of something like this:
Amazon Amazon

Quality looks great and discrete enough so I don't have to hide it every time I leave the car.
Old 04-11-12, 11:10 PM
RangerJoe
Driver

Please make sure you check your local laws before you try to use something like this in court. Some courts have not taken kindly to police being filmed while performing their duties. This goes extra if they don't know they are being recorded.
Old 04-12-12, 02:49 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Look at the GO PRO

Www.gopro.com

I have a gopro Hero2 I use for MINI Cooper rides. I have tow hook mounts suction cup and other cool mounts.
Old 04-12-12, 02:51 AM
J3ffrey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Damn you leave your radar detector in your car? Around where I live, that's just asking for the car to be broken into. Mine was stolen in no time
That sucks man. I suppose where I live it's not a big deal.. i've had no issues for the pat 10 years leaving it on my windshield (knocking on wood). I live in one of the wealthiest parts of the country (but I'm def part of the 99%) so maybe that has something to do with it. Some 300 dollar detector isnt worth it. But they steal people's college funds and grandmas retirement around here without even thinking about it.

Quick Reply: Dash Cam?