IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check engine light and vsc on due to uncharged battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-12, 05:51 PM
boss22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light and vsc on due to uncharged battery?

Hi. today after work I realize i left my lights on (headlights) in the morning. The car started normally so i went home. I used my car the same evening after couple of hours later then I saw my check engine light and vsc light go on at the same time..? Could this happened due to uncharged battery what do you guys think? Thank you.
Old 04-13-12, 09:15 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

well get the codes pulled and start from there.
Old 04-14-12, 03:52 AM
bigdenis
Driver School Candidate

Had this happen to my wife's Toyota Kluger (Highlander). I disconnected the battery, and then reconnected it after a few minutes. Problem solved.
Old 04-14-12, 04:15 PM
boss22
Driver

I disconnected negative battery terminal for 10 min. The both lights gone. Hope they never come back. Than you.
Old 04-14-12, 06:57 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boss22
I disconnected negative battery terminal for 10 min. The both lights gone. Hope they never come back. Than you.
Do note that this will not fix any problems. It will merely clear the codes stored in memory. So if there's really a problem, the lights will come back. If it was a one time thing, an erroneous code, or it resolved itself, the codes won't come back, but that's not because you fixed anything by disconnecting the battery.
Old 04-15-12, 07:58 AM
707IS350
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Low battery voltage causes many issues with many modern cars today. One very common low voltage code is the crank sensor code.

If you didn't have the light on before this then it should not come back.
Old 04-15-12, 08:28 AM
fraga
Driver School Candidate

I've noticed that my VSC light will come on every couple of months...but after a couple of days...it goes off...very weird...very strange...told Lexus about it once...they said they looked and saw no evidence of it going off...going to be taking it back in soon...almost hitting 60k miles so gonna be getting my brakes flushed...spark plugs and other stuff changed...will notify them again...we'll see what they say...
Old 04-15-12, 08:36 AM
707IS350
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The two most common reasons the check engine light comes on in 2011 are

1. Bad O2 or A/F sensor

2. Loose gas cap

Read this somewhere
Old 04-17-12, 08:02 PM
boss22
Driver

so far so good. I checked my battery another day and voltage was 12.50V with no engine running. 13.87V engine on idle - that's ok. My suspicious is lights come on due to low voltage. I left the lights on almost 8hours,but shouldn't they be turn off automatically? I am wonder why the battery did not died after I left lights on..? I have Die Hard battery so maybe that's why lol!
Anyway check engine and VSC Light is gone and hope never come back
Old 04-17-12, 09:18 PM
kingster
Pole Position

so far so good. I checked my battery another day and voltage was 12.50V with no engine running. 13.87V engine on idle - that's ok. My suspicious is lights come on due to low voltage. I left the lights on almost 8hours,but shouldn't they be turn off automatically? I am wonder why the battery did not died after I left lights on..? I have Die Hard battery so maybe that's why lol!
Anyway check engine and VSC Light is gone and hope never come back
Good for you.
I don't think it will be a sensor (02 A/F) because I have issues with code P0031 and have disconnected the battery and lights keep coming back instantly. Will replace 02 sensor over the weekend and hopefully, lights go away (I have to take car to the emission test) to get tags.
Old 04-19-12, 10:20 AM
pmmgx470
Driver School Candidate

Smile 03' GX 470 VSC / Check Engine Lights

Originally Posted by kingster
Good for you.
I don't think it will be a sensor (02 A/F) because I have issues with code P0031 and have disconnected the battery and lights keep coming back instantly. Will replace 02 sensor over the weekend and hopefully, lights go away (I have to take car to the emission test) to get tags.
I agree with starting with the engine codes first. Auto Zone and the like will do it for free.
VSC and Check Engine Lights came on on my 03' GX 470 with over 85k miles on it. Code was
P0031 AFR/O2 Heater Control Circuit low, identifying B1-S1 as the locaton. Called the dealer and found out that the truck has (4) O2 sensors... B1 (Bank 1) identifies the sensors before the CAT, and S1 (Side 1) identifies left or right side with S1 being on the left (drivers) side. Both of the B1 sensors have the same part number so S1 and S2 may be interchangable, but the B2 sensors which are found after the CAT, have different part numbers, hence sensors S1 and S2 on Bank 2 are not interchangable.
Purchased the B1-S1 O2 sensor OEM for $160...you could do a little better with after market but with electronics, I was advised that OEM was the way to go. Disconnected the battery and accessed the sensor through the left front wheel well. Took less then 5 mins. to replace. Reconnected battery, started it up and after a few days, the VCS and check engine lights are still OFF! I'm hoping that it stays that way
Old 04-19-12, 10:28 AM
gyung
Pole Position

My check engine light and vsc came on due to a dirty intake air filter. I cleaned it, reset the codes, and so far so good. Yeah sensors and batteries can go bad, but I would check the easiest things first if it comes back... Gas cap and how dirty your intake air filter are.
Old 04-19-12, 10:36 AM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi. today after work I realize i left my lights on (headlights) in the morning. The car started normally so i went home. I used my car the same evening after couple of hours later then I saw my check engine light and vsc light go on at the same time..? Could this happened due to uncharged battery what do you guys think? Thank you.
How did you manage to leave your lights on? My IS automatically turns them off regardless of what position I leave the headlight switch in.
Old 05-01-12, 02:04 PM
boss22
Driver

they come back again -sucksss... Checke engine light is on and displa says check the VSC also the traction control light is on too.... wth?? quess I have to pull the codes this time.
Old 05-01-12, 02:18 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

they come back again -sucksss... Checke engine light is on and displa says check the VSC also the traction control light is on too.... wth?? quess I have to pull the codes this time.
You can just say "my check engine light came on again". The check VSC message and traction control lights come on because the car automatically disables traction and stability control any time the check engine light is on. It likely has nothing to do with those systems.

Quick Reply: Check engine light and vsc on due to uncharged battery?