IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is Lexus screwing me over?

Old 03-12-12, 04:55 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Is Lexus screwing me over? shocking update

hey guys i had a problem with my HID light going of randomly, so it was taken to dealer at 49000 mile which i was still under warranty, but they said they could not duplicate the problem i still have that problem 4 days ago i called lexus corporate and told them i went to dealer for exact problem when i was under warranty now my warranty is over, so they told me take it back to dealer so they can diagnose the issue, so i did 2 days ago now they call me and tell me there is 2 philips aftermarket bulb in there, the car was bought used before the warranty even ended, i think the dealer is screwing me over because for every lil thing this car was taken to dealer according to the service history, and why would the previous owner change the bulb her self if she was still under warranty???? is exact bulb also, please give me some advice

Last edited by Shervin350; 03-15-12 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 05:16 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to a different dealer.

I find it weird that they'd say it's "philips aftermarket bulbs". Consider this: the OEM bulbs are philips xeneco bulbs. Thus getting two "aftermarket" philips bulb would either be equivalent or of higher quality as you can either get the xeneco or the ultinon line.

but regardless, just bring it elsewhere. the intermittent outage is a common problem with our vehicles and it's likely the ballast from personal experience. i believe they just dont want to change it as the ballast requires removal of the headlights (which in itself needs the front bumper removed to access). They probably don't get much from Lexus for the job.
Old 03-12-12, 07:40 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ask the dealership to print out the full service history for you so you can get the details from the beginning to present. This way, you can know exactly what happened, and it will be in the format, as if you went to teh dealership and got the invoice, so full details.

As for it could of been a Ultinon in fact put inside. If that is the case, the previous owner probably put it in because she wanted a higher kelvin bulb in there.

Just to add on to of the OEM brand, depending on which later year was it, Lexus no longer uses Philips XenEco. I forgot what brand it is but Jeff Lange knows what they use presently.

You could try and complain that when the car was purchase it was not documented or not disclosed to you that lights were not OEM. See what they say.

Last edited by Sango; 03-12-12 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 08:03 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

I know lexus now puts Toshiba-Harison D4S, and i saw the full service history the car been the dealer 3 time for light problem during the warranty, at 20k they stated that they replaced bulbs
Old 03-12-12, 08:08 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

I dont understand why a dealership wouldnt want to do repairs when they dont lose money they just bill Lexus Corporate at an oustanding amount and send you on your way. Warranty issues are not a cost they abosorb, ive never had an issue with any warranty repair or complaint I even told them my shifter was pitting once and they gave me a new one. Maybe it depends on the service advisor? But I wouldnt be surprised if they also make more depending on how much they bill so if I were one I would have everything fixed under warranty for you. Try another dealer...hope it works out!
Old 03-12-12, 08:12 PM
Sango
Pole Position

I have to agree with robertrios. Escalate it or go to another dealership to see if they will assist.
Old 03-12-12, 08:20 PM
caudlek
Driver

Originally Posted by Shervin350
I know lexus now puts Toshiba-Harison D4S, and i saw the full service history the car been the dealer 3 time for light problem during the warranty, at 20k they stated that they replaced bulbs
If the dealer has had the car in for lights related warranty work then obviously its a Lexus problem ,,,, that's why its important to have things documented on a service call even if they say they found no problem. You had it into them within the warranty period to fix it, so they are responsible.

Call or email Lexus Head office directly, not the dealer. They will light a fire under the dealers rump .... i have found Lexus head office very good that way.

KC
Old 03-13-12, 05:22 AM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

called lexus they said they get back at me in 2 days,im deff not willing to pay 600$ in light bulb
Old 03-13-12, 07:04 AM
Sango
Pole Position

^
If they ask for $600, then go to CL Forum Vendor Nigel-JDM Parts and get yourself a new pair of Philips Ultinon 6000K for about $250 a pair.
Old 03-13-12, 07:52 AM
dackp143
Pole Position

It's your bulbs. If its dark out and your headlight cuts out, just shutoff your lights and turn them back on again. by doing this your light will illuminate again until it feels like cutting off again. /thread.
Old 03-13-12, 10:49 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Lexus used Philips bulbs until around 08-09, then switched to Toshiba-Harison. A while later they changed them up, so they old sold the T-H bulbs. Depending on when your bulbs were replaced they may have been replaced with either type.

Either Philips XenEco or Toshiba-Harison could be OEM Lexus bulbs.

Jeff
Old 03-14-12, 10:56 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

gues lexus called me back today and said that the dealership had told the that there was aftermarket light bulbs in the car exact spec as the lexus, i got the car under warranty when it was not over, so now my question is something dont add up why would the previous owner change the light bulbs when she was under warranty with exact same kind of bulbs???? if she had problem she could of get them changed out for free, so someone is messing with me here help me out they said they going to call me back tomorrow after they talk to the manager

by the way incase they bs me is this legit
http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Philips-Ul.../pb-d4s-6k.htm

Last edited by Shervin350; 03-14-12 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-14-12, 11:38 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Yes it is. Normally sold as a pair.
Old 03-15-12, 07:09 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Why two different color strip on the bulbs?Maybe the angle of the picture but the tips look different?
Old 03-15-12, 07:13 PM
Shervin350
Lead Lap

please read new thread that i just made

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Lexus screwing me over?