IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Molded Wald Spoiler Club. How many of us are there?

Old 01-03-12, 11:53 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by karasha
I have an authentic molded Wald spoiler... in MRM. Don't think I've seen too many of those floating around the forum.

I'll post pictures... eventually.

Edit: Also, my spoiler was tweaked so I didn't have to raise up the panels... and I don't have that nasty overhang/cliff/whatever you want to call it at the bottom.
You do?!?! When did you get it Katie?? PICS NOW

haha
Old 01-04-12, 12:37 AM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to attempt to mold my replica once Spring comes by. I totally want to attempt it now but it's 20 degrees outside. I just hope I don't screw it up and need a new spoiler and trunk.
Old 01-04-12, 01:03 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

instead of raising the corners, just shave the spoiler at the edges... easier and cleaner looking imho...

Old 01-04-12, 02:18 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shaving actually looks really good compared to molded!
Old 01-04-12, 04:28 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smart idea shaving the spoiler! I've seen these pictures but haven't noticed that.
Old 01-04-12, 05:58 AM
Gustavo250
Lexus Champion

Here is mine

Old 01-04-12, 06:00 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Count me in, another molded SFP. Rash, I bought areukhmer's when I drove out to the Pursuit III in october.

Last edited by heyarms; 01-04-12 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-04-12, 06:29 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

I like that idea of shaving the corners and molding! That's a good option for someone like me that dosn't want to raise the quarters.
Old 01-04-12, 07:00 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I did think about shaving the spoiler before raising the quarters but I didnt want to take away from the shape of the spoiler and as you can see the difference below, the body line of the quarter doesn't match up as well when the quarters are not raised, plus there seems to be that slight drop still between the spoiler and the quarter. But it is a good option for someone who doesn't want to put out the extra $$$ to raise the quarters. Mariano pm'd me what he paid and it was a arm and a ********.

spoiler shaved quarters not raised

Quarters raised

Last edited by Sffd103; 01-04-12 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-04-12, 07:03 AM
dsage
Driver

i dont know if mine counts. the sides and bottom are molded flush and the top is molded too but its not flush its more like seamless. mines an authentic wald.

Last edited by dsage; 01-04-12 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-04-12, 07:08 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dsage
i dont know if mine counts. the sides and bottom are molded flush and the top is molded too but its not flush its more like seamless. mines an authentic wald.

did u do the work yourself? And why is your emblem upside down? by molded we mean completely flush

Last edited by RDIS250AWD; 01-04-12 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-04-12, 07:14 AM
dsage
Driver

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
did u do the work yourself? And why is your emblem upside down? by molded we mean completely flush
yes i did all the work myself. i saw it upside down on another members car and thought it was different. sounds good sorry i cluttered this thread.

Last edited by dsage; 01-04-12 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-04-12, 07:28 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

^ looks good I commend you on DIY. Molding mine was quite the task and it was my first time molding. Doing the quarters was my second.
Old 01-04-12, 07:31 AM
sick
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
I did think about shaving the spoiler before raising the quarters but I didnt want to take away from the shape of the spoiler and as you can see the difference below, the body line of the quarter doesn't match up as well when the quarters are not raised, plus there seems to be that slight drop still between the spoiler and the quarter. But it is a good option for someone who doesn't want to put out the extra $$$ to raise the quarters. Marino pm'd me what he paid and it was a arm and a ********.
Yeah, i do see that. Do you think it's possible to shave or sand it down to meet the lines? My only concern about raising the quarters is when i go to sell the car. However, i do think it looks the best with it raised and molded. I'm having a similar issue with my other car now, it's built custom to my liking so there is a limited market, and i having a really tough time selling it. If i can get away with shaving the corners and meeting the lines, i should be pretty happy!
Old 01-04-12, 07:38 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sick
Yeah, i do see that. Do you think it's possible to shave or sand it down to meet the lines? My only concern about raising the quarters is when i go to sell the car. However, i do think it looks the best with it raised and molded. I'm having a similar issue with my other car now, it's built custom to my liking so there is a limited market, and i having a really tough time selling it. If i can get away with shaving the corners and meeting the lines, i should be pretty happy!
The only way I saw about doing it was to shave the spoiler a little bit and then bring the line across with some duraglass (which was my plan b) but then once again it takes away from the shape, definition and detail of the spoiler especially at the top of the trunk on the end of the spoiler where the other line meets, it would close that distance between both lines for the most part. I wouldn't have been satisfied with the end results especially after seeing Mariano's raised quarters. So in the end this was my only option. Since doing the work myself money wasn't much of a concern. I don't plan on selling my car anytime soon. Plus any custom work on your car you really aren't gonna get it back by the time you decide to sell. At least thats my opinion in most cases. But don't get me wrong I don't think it looks bad whether the quarters are raised or not, or if the spoiler is just shaved. I just think it looks best when the quarters are raised, and I think it looks terrible when not molded at all. Just doesn't flow with the car at all.

Last edited by Sffd103; 01-04-12 at 01:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Molded Wald Spoiler Club. How many of us are there?