IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

6000K HID plug n play fog lights...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 01:43 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6000K HID plug n play fog lights...

Just got my IS350 and looking to replace the fogs with some 6000K plug n play HIDs. Looking for something reliable. Any suggestions? Anyone heard of DDM?
Old 08-23-11, 05:46 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used ddm on my motorcycles and zero problems. Great product.
I gotta ask : do you need an additional power harness that gets power directly from the battery(because of the initiall start up) or just the regular set up would be fine?
Old 08-23-11, 05:50 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had DDM 3k fogs on my old car. No issues with them or anything. I'm sure their 6k's are just as good.

You could have posted in the same thread as your other thread about low beams HID's, just so you know in the future

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
I gotta ask : do you need an additional power harness that gets power directly from the battery(because of the initiall start up) or just the regular set up would be fine?
Always run the harness if your running HID's to light's that weren't wired to handle HID's. You may be fine even if you don't, but its always a good idea to, because frying your stock wiring will not be a cheap replacement at all! That being said, i think the majority of people probably aren't running the harness anyways from what i see. So up to you really
Old 08-23-11, 06:20 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

i had a ddm kit on my gsxr too...it worked great. wasnt sure about their other stuff.....hmmmm.
Old 08-23-11, 06:23 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of people have DDM kits, probably one of the cheapest and good quality kits out there. I brought a 5000k HID kit off eBay for my fogs. No problems with mine at all without a harness/relay or whatever.
Old 08-23-11, 08:45 PM
filidog
Driver School Candidate

I've put HID kits on every car i have had since 2000 way back when they paying $400 for a kit was a deal. i have ballasts that are 8years old from Phillips that still work great. i have a ddm kit on my wife's car. now here's boring explanation of why people do and do not run a wire harness and why you sometimes do and do not need one.we'll start with the older cars. my wife's car. some cars with sealed beam headlights require 90-110 watt bulb. those wire harnesses are able to handle the heavy amp load that are required from the ballast. thus the ballast usually stays slightly cooler. never had a problem with my wife's car as far as the dreaded (flicker/strobe) effect i know people get. now for some cars that have a good headlight wiring there pretty much is a relay to your battery and that's what the click sound is when you turn on your headlights. now that relay sometimes burns out.(never had it happen to me)now the reason people say you might fry your wires is because reflector and projection type headlight use the light more efficient so they only use a 55/65 watt light. manufactures only put wires thick enough to pretty much handle that wattage. now with you highs and lows running your going to pull about 15 amps or so. and i believe from the top of my head a plug and play kit pulls about 25 amps or so at start up. because most cars headlight system was not made or ever thought to pull that kind of load. your going to get resistance. and when you get resistance from wires that pull more then they are made for you get heat. and that's were people will say you'll burn out your wires. kinda like when people plug in a window AC unit on a rinki dink extension cord. what happens? the wires get hot and sometimes melt and short out. because or the amp load being pulled at start up some people get a strobe flicker effect from there kits. this gives premature were and tear on your kit. i really hope this answers any and all of your questions for you and anyone else down the road.

Last edited by filidog; 08-23-11 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-24-11, 08:25 AM
baypistol
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
I've used ddm on my motorcycles and zero problems. Great product.
I have a 600rr and in our forums everyone turns on the ballasts with a switch after the initial start up of the bike. The ballasts take way to much juice when the bike is not already on.

My next kit will be DDM because my kit from HIDEXTRA sucks.
Old 08-24-11, 12:23 PM
DsJackson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by filidog
I've put HID kits on every car i have had since 2000 way back when they paying $400 for a kit was a deal. i have ballasts that are 8years old from Phillips that still work great. i have a ddm kit on my wife's car. now here's boring explanation of why people do and do not run a wire harness and why you sometimes do and do not need one.we'll start with the older cars. my wife's car. some cars with sealed beam headlights require 90-110 watt bulb. those wire harnesses are able to handle the heavy amp load that are required from the ballast. thus the ballast usually stays slightly cooler. never had a problem with my wife's car as far as the dreaded (flicker/strobe) effect i know people get. now for some cars that have a good headlight wiring there pretty much is a relay to your battery and that's what the click sound is when you turn on your headlights. now that relay sometimes burns out.(never had it happen to me)now the reason people say you might fry your wires is because reflector and projection type headlight use the light more efficient so they only use a 55/65 watt light. manufactures only put wires thick enough to pretty much handle that wattage. now with you highs and lows running your going to pull about 15 amps or so. and i believe from the top of my head a plug and play kit pulls about 25 amps or so at start up. because most cars headlight system was not made or ever thought to pull that kind of load. your going to get resistance. and when you get resistance from wires that pull more then they are made for you get heat. and that's were people will say you'll burn out your wires. kinda like when people plug in a window AC unit on a rinki dink extension cord. what happens? the wires get hot and sometimes melt and short out. because or the amp load being pulled at start up some people get a strobe flicker effect from there kits. this gives premature were and tear on your kit. i really hope this answers any and all of your questions for you and anyone else down the road.
hey fili I just wanted to point out that although hid ballasts usually pull more current than the stock halogen lamps at startup, 25 & even 15 amps is on the high side. Running steady state, most ballasts pull similar if not less current than the 55 watt lamps. Especially the newer ones. Also, ballast efficiency varies and who knows what you get on a budget these days so I definitely agree the additional wiring harness serves an important purpose & is still a good idea.

I'll also recommend ddm tuning. From an 'ends justify the means' perspective, their kit is a great deal.
Old 08-24-11, 02:16 PM
YoNadz
Pole Position

I ended up ordering the VOLT kit from Steve. Does this kit have the HARNESS you speak of?
Old 08-26-11, 04:35 PM
BAUSauto
Former Sponsor

We sell HID kit too!!! Click here
Old 08-26-11, 04:46 PM
HALLELUJAH
Driver School Candidate

i bought the cheapest kit i could find on ebay for my 98 accord which i recently sold and aside from the ballast going bad one time i had no problems. I sent it in and just payed for shipping both ways and i was back in business. My friend has a 335I who's oem hids went bad and the dealer was charging 400 to replace. He went with aftermarket for a lot less. Point being that you dont need to spend over 50 for a kit if i had mine for 2 years and it served me as good as my buddy with the 335. Im ordering 2 new kits for my is this monday both running for about 34 dollars each.
Old 08-26-11, 04:47 PM
HALLELUJAH
Driver School Candidate

*oem hid. BMW was charging $400 to fix on defective hid.
Old 08-26-11, 05:30 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

SORRY to say but I had a bad experience with DDM, maybe it was just a rare case.
Old 08-26-11, 05:34 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Mixed feelings about DDM. Installed 6K low beams from DDM today and they work perfect. I tried to install the 6K fogs from DDM as well, and they wouldn't light. Very frustrated
Old 08-26-11, 06:25 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

hoovey flip the plug that goes on to the ballast, i wish I knew how to explain it better

Quick Reply: 6000K HID plug n play fog lights...