Need help removing Valve Cover Passenger Side

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-21, 03:41 PM
JayGee359
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Need help removing Valve Cover Passenger Side

Hey guys,

Im stuck trying to figure out how to remove the valve cover on the passenger side. Car is 2011 IS350. I completed the driver side, but the passenger side has me stuck at the fuel system, above it are the coolant hoses. I’ll post pictures.

Jay

Old 10-17-21, 07:17 AM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

After eyeballing my spare engine, it looks to me like you need to pull that coolant manifold to get tooling clearance and to pull the high pressure fuel pump. Seems like the bottom tube clamps are the easier way to get it up, since the uppers have that pointless white plastic stuff to break (mine did during my engine swap). With the coolant junk moved out the way, you should be able to disconnect the fuel overflow line, rail pressure line, and fuel feed lines before being able to pull the pump itself up.

If there's one thing I've learned loud and clear from this platform it's that there is no task too simple for kaizen to screw up. Just assume removal of every system is involved with the simplest of tasks, unless you have a multimillion dollar facility staffed by Toyota employees.
Old 10-17-21, 08:43 AM
JayGee359
Driver

Originally Posted by Ultra4
After eyeballing my spare engine, it looks to me like you need to pull that coolant manifold to get tooling clearance and to pull the high pressure fuel pump. Seems like the bottom tube clamps are the easier way to get it up, since the uppers have that pointless white plastic stuff to break (mine did during my engine swap). With the coolant junk moved out the way, you should be able to disconnect the fuel overflow line, rail pressure line, and fuel feed lines before being able to pull the pump itself up.

If there's one thing I've learned loud and clear from this platform it's that there is no task too simple for kaizen to screw up. Just assume removal of every system is involved with the simplest of tasks, unless you have a multimillion dollar facility staffed by Toyota employees.
Thank you brother. Appreciate the input. I ended up messing up the banjo bolt oil filter that feeds to the valve cover on the driver side. I’m really bummed about that. On top of that I had a family emergency. I’m looking at just towing it to a shop I’ve used before in another city. Unfortunately we’re I currently live I don’t have any faith with Independent shops here.

on another note- prior to this issue. Car has been bullet proof. I have 351k+ miles. I wanted to finally fix the valve cover leek on the passenger side before changing my catalytic converter bank 1. I really don’t believe there is something wrong since my car runs like a Swiss clock.

Old 10-17-21, 11:37 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,477 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by JayGee359
Thank you brother. Appreciate the input. I ended up messing up the banjo bolt oil filter that feeds to the valve cover on the driver side. I’m really bummed about that. On top of that I had a family emergency. I’m looking at just towing it to a shop I’ve used before in another city. Unfortunately we’re I currently live I don’t have any faith with Independent shops here.

on another note- prior to this issue. Car has been bullet proof. I have 351k+ miles. I wanted to finally fix the valve cover leek on the passenger side before changing my catalytic converter bank 1. I really don’t believe there is something wrong since my car runs like a Swiss clock.

Is is really leaking at the valve cover? Often times it's the banjo bolt crush washers feeding the top end. Reseating the banjo fixes it.

Are you saying you rounded the head or what happened to it?
Old 10-17-21, 04:03 PM
JayGee359
Driver

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Is is really leaking at the valve cover? Often times it's the banjo bolt crush washers feeding the top end. Reseating the banjo fixes it.

Are you saying you rounded the head or what happened to it?
my valve cover on the passenger side leaks towards the rear. The Banjo on the driver side I’m sure I jacked the Filter that attaches to the bolt. Since I can’t fix the passenger side, I figure I would stop now from breaking more stuff. 🙄

on another not a sludge on that baby! I’ll post pictures.
Old 10-17-21, 04:07 PM
JayGee359
Driver

Trying to fix my leak and try to see If I have an exhaust leak somewhere before I try changing the Catalytic converter. Other than that, car has been super reliable and strong. I plan to see if I can get her to 500k.
The following users liked this post:
GrizzlyMan (10-19-21)
Old 10-17-21, 06:47 PM
Dealarr
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey guys,

Im stuck trying to figure out how to remove the valve cover on the passenger side. Car is 2011 IS350. I completed the driver side, but the passenger side has me stuck at the fuel system, above it are the coolant hoses. I’ll post pictures.

Jay

Undo all your valve cover bolts, undo the high pressure fuel pump's bolts, there is a metal pipe going to the other bank, undo the two 10mm's that hold the fuel delivery line, then the HPFP comes free allowing you to lift it up a little, then you slide the valve cover out towards the front of the car and out clearing the cam gear lobe of the HPFP.
JayGee359 (10-18-21)
Old 10-19-21, 09:19 AM
pauls927
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see I'm not the only one that got stumped on the passenger valve cover . The driver side was a piece of cake compared to this side. I searched the forum and was unable to find any additional information for the passenger and just thought I was loosing my touch. I'll have to try again with this newly shared information.

BTW, did you get the new o-rings for the oil feed to the VVT system? You would think they would be included with VC gaskets, but I don't see any with Felpro set I purchased.
Impressive mileage on that 350 too, I just turned 200K.
Old 10-19-21, 09:45 AM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Am very curious what things fail at that 300K+ miles...
Looking at those cams, that engine looks brand new, what engine oil you use and change intervals?
Old 10-19-21, 10:03 AM
JayGee359
Driver

Originally Posted by pauls927
I see I'm not the only one that got stumped on the passenger valve cover . The driver side was a piece of cake compared to this side. I searched the forum and was unable to find any additional information for the passenger and just thought I was loosing my touch. I'll have to try again with this newly shared information.

BTW, did you get the new o-rings for the oil feed to the VVT system? You would think they would be included with VC gaskets, but I don't see any with Felpro set I purchased.
Impressive mileage on that 350 too, I just turned 200K.
bro, you said it. The passenger side got me stumped big time and on top of that the banjo screw filter on the driver side I’m pretty sure is FUBAR. I did put the new O rings on the driver but not on the passenger.

I ended up towing it to the shop to get the banjo problem looked at and fixed. Also asked them to work on the passenger side valve cover.

hate to admit defeat but humble enough to realize I might end up breaking more parts 😵‍💫
Old 10-19-21, 10:32 AM
JayGee359
Driver

Originally Posted by GrizzlyMan
Am very curious what things fail at that 300K+ miles...
Looking at those cams, that engine looks brand new, what engine oil you use and change intervals?
Master Cylinder failed due to me

Radiator leak

Now just got a P0420 code. This was the reason for me fixing FHR valve cover leak before tackling the cats.

As far as oil, I did everything. Dino , Synthetic Blend, Synthetic. Different brands, and just recently just tried Mobil 1 High Mileage since it was in Costco. The real key I believe is 5k intervals. Also I use a fumoto oil valve which makes oil changes a breeze.
GrizzlyMan (10-19-21)
Old 10-19-21, 10:34 AM
JayGee359
Driver

Here she is yesterday going to the shop for a little Love. I’m getting the cats done since she will be in already.

Last edited by JayGee359; 10-19-21 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 11:29 AM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Red face

Master Cylinder failed due to me

Radiator leak

Now just got a P0420 code. This was the reason for me fixing FHR valve cover leak before tackling the cats.

As far as oil, I did everything. Dino , Synthetic Blend, Synthetic. Different brands, and just recently just tried Mobil 1 High Mileage since it was in Costco. The real key I believe is 5k intervals. Also I use a fumoto oil valve which makes oil changes a breeze.
Impressive, it sure is a testament these cars are extremely reliable. I still cannot believe how clean the cams, valve spring assembly, cylinder head internals look so pristine. I had to really re-read the odometer, and double check if it was for the same car or someone else posted theirs.
Agreed 5k intervals is a must, that is what I do for my 2007 4Runner, is either no more than 4 to 5k and/or within six months.
Old 10-19-21, 11:35 AM
Yodog
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Very impressive… have you ever changed out the cam position sensors (intake and/or exhaust), or any of the upstream or downstream oxygen sensors?

how’s your suspension holding up? Any mods or replacements there?

also do you use 5w-20 or 5w-30 oil?
Old 10-19-21, 12:05 PM
JayGee359
Driver

Originally Posted by GrizzlyMan
Impressive, it sure is a testament these cars are extremely reliable. I still cannot believe how clean the cams, valve spring assembly, cylinder head internals look so pristine. I had to really re-read the odometer, and double check if it was for the same car or someone else posted theirs.
Agreed 5k intervals is a must, that is what I do for my 2007 4Runner, is either no more than 4 to 5k and/or within six months.
extremely reliable 💯

Quick Reply: Need help removing Valve Cover Passenger Side