IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is350 2007 shudder under light acceleration 50 to 60 KPH

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-18, 02:31 AM
GrunterNZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is350 2007 shudder under light acceleration 50 to 60 KPH

I have got a shudder under light acceleration between 50 and 60 KPH when applying the gas lightly, the shudder feels like transmission or an engine miss. If you apply the gas heavily the shudder is gone. Any ideas? Also does not seem to happen at any other speed while giving it light gas eg 100kph. Only this low speed range.
Old 01-25-18, 05:33 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Could be a motor mount that the engine rpm's and load at that speed causes an oscillation/resonance. This shudder? It feel mechanical or do you hear the engine missing?
The following users liked this post:
GrunterNZ (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 06:27 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

You might check for pending misfire codes.

Also run thr best fuel you can and add some fuel system cleaner. When was the last tune up? Plugs, filter, MAF cleaning?
Old 01-25-18, 10:38 AM
GrunterNZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
You might check for pending misfire codes.

Also run thr best fuel you can and add some fuel system cleaner. When was the last tune up? Plugs, filter, MAF cleaning?
I will try switching to 95 on the next fill, I had it in at the shop last week and they have put new plugs in, if anything new plugs have made the issue happen more often. The oil was changed at the same time and air filter is okay. What is MAF? The mechanic was thinking maybe its the first stages of a coil pack break down.
Old 01-25-18, 10:45 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

It wasn't mentioned if you've pulled any codes due to the issue. I'd assume a misfire too; and assuming the new plugs were installed correctly and they're not being fouled, then the coil packs are the next likely item on the list. Then after that, possibly a fuel-delivery issue.

MAF = mass airflow sensor. You can remove the sensor from the tube and clean it with SPECIFIC MAF SENSOR CLEANER. READ THE CAN'S INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY!
GrunterNZ (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 10:47 AM
GrunterNZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Could be a motor mount that the engine rpm's and load at that speed causes an oscillation/resonance. This shudder? It feel mechanical or do you hear the engine missing?
That's the thing, the car is almost just rolling when it happens at its worst, I will be in traffic on the way to work rolling about 60 KPH and lightly push the peddle with RPM around 1500/2000 and it starts to shudder, it feels like a miss or like its crabbing like a manual car on the clutch. When the car went into the shop the mechanic could not reproduce it. I started to google and it seems that this issue has been experienced by other IS owners, reading through though I can find what the fix for these people was. I am wondering if it has been triggered by getting the transmission fluid changed reading others with this issue.
Old 01-25-18, 10:53 AM
GrunterNZ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
It wasn't mentioned if you've pulled any codes due to the issue. I'd assume a misfire too; and assuming the new plugs were installed correctly and they're not being fouled, then the coil packs are the next likely item on the list. Then after that, possibly a fuel-delivery issue.

MAF = mass airflow sensor. You can remove the sensor from the tube and clean it with SPECIFIC MAF SENSOR CLEANER. READ THE CAN'S INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY!
Cool thank you I will get them to check this, no codes came up when the ECU was checked. Plugs came genuine from Toyota dealer. Cheers for your ideas with this problem.
Old 01-26-18, 08:37 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

If they didnt gap the plugs proper and the problem was NOT there before you took it in, this seems a little odd.

Clean the MAF, check that all hose connections are tight (mainly between air box and throttle body) as an air leak could cause s lean stumble like this and not be so bad as to trigger a CEL.

Talking about this hose... MAF is inside the air box above the filter. With the key off, unclip the sensor so the lid is free of the vehicle.
Old 01-26-18, 09:35 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^Gapping the plugs is really old school. I used to do that in the OLD days Nowadays plugs come with the proper gap from the manufacturer and no manual gapping is required.

Lou
Old 01-26-18, 10:34 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Assuming the correct plugs were installed.
Old 01-26-18, 01:23 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Perhaps... when I checked New denso plugs they were all over the map. Not one of six at 0.044"... And if others do your work, well who knows what they are.

Everyone beats to their own tune. I'll continue to check the components as best possible before they are installed.
But ya, several camps saying do/don't adnust precious metal plugs. The don't camp because too many idiots F'd up their plugs doing so.... lol
Old 01-26-18, 04:21 PM
Izzmeister
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like torque converter shudder. I'm a Toyota tech, and we've seen that complaint on various applications ranging from the Camry to the Tacoma and Tundra.
GCLexus (09-13-21)
Old 09-13-21, 12:14 PM
GCLexus
Driver School Candidate

I have the same shudder in my 2014 Lexus IS 350. I have heard exactly the same thing (torque converter) as being the issue. I have 107,000 Km on my car and there was no mention of replacing the transmission fluid in the maintenance schedule. However, the dealer told me that it must be replaced every 96K in Canada. After the replacement, the shudder is gone. It has only been a week so I am keeping my fingers crossed. My question is that if it does come back, can the torque converter be replaced, or will I need a new transmission?
Old 09-14-21, 01:51 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GrunterNZ
That's the thing, the car is almost just rolling when it happens at its worst, I will be in traffic on the way to work rolling about 60 KPH and lightly push the peddle with RPM around 1500/2000 and it starts to shudder, it feels like a miss or like its crabbing like a manual car on the clutch. When the car went into the shop the mechanic could not reproduce it. I started to google and it seems that this issue has been experienced by other IS owners, reading through though I can find what the fix for these people was. I am wondering if it has been triggered by getting the transmission fluid changed reading others with this issue.
Originally Posted by Izzmeister
Sounds like torque converter shudder. I'm a Toyota tech, and we've seen that complaint on various applications ranging from the Camry to the Tacoma and Tundra.
Originally Posted by GCLexus
I have the same shudder in my 2014 Lexus IS 350. I have heard exactly the same thing (torque converter) as being the issue. I have 107,000 Km on my car and there was no mention of replacing the transmission fluid in the maintenance schedule. However, the dealer told me that it must be replaced every 96K in Canada. After the replacement, the shudder is gone. It has only been a week so I am keeping my fingers crossed. My question is that if it does come back, can the torque converter be replaced, or will I need a new transmission?
I would definitely start with fresh fluid in the transmission. I wrote a DIY fluid flush process that I used to get over 1/2 the fluid out in session on jack stands using Amsoil.

That said, I've read on the Tundra forums where the A760 trans is known to develop a deceleration shudder with aged fluid. Worse on the non-tow equipped vehicles as they lack the external trans cooler but are to tow and likely age the fluid at much higher rate than the tow equipped vehicles.

DIY fluid flush is here....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...a760e-rwd.html

Last edited by 2013FSport; 09-14-21 at 03:43 PM.
GCLexus (09-14-21)
Old 09-14-21, 03:41 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GCLexus
I didn't notice you wrote 2014 in there. The AWD has the A760 while the RWD has something different. Which is yours? RWD or AWD?

Quick Reply: Is350 2007 shudder under light acceleration 50 to 60 KPH