IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 12-15-14, 04:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)

Old 01-27-11, 11:01 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

first welcome to CL. Congrats on getting this car. Sounds like you have great aspirations and keep it up. You're lucky as hell too! I would lower, intake, exhaust. Then wheels and kit later. good luck! Maybe some booming sounds too!
Old 01-27-11, 11:15 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since when : ) became (: ? The latter just hurts my head.. I must be getting old..

Well keep up the good attitude and motivation, it will take you far.

You also need to think about reoccurring payments like the loan, insurance, gas, etc. Not to mention those rates will be high for you. Will you be working while going to school? And don't you need to be a full time student to get scholarships? Just some things to consider..

To answer the question, my first mods were a drop, tint, lighting, exhaust.
Old 01-28-11, 07:42 AM
ixAznBeNxi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Definitely get the F-Sport sway bar above all else!!
I was also thinking about getting them! Not sure yet, maybe gotta look through forums and places where people have review about them and consider!

Originally Posted by 2IS350DT
my first mod would be a drop!
Yes! I'm def gonna drop it! I'm not sure on either getting coils or springs right now. Kinda stuck on that :\

Originally Posted by Sffd103
first welcome to CL. Congrats on getting this car. Sounds like you have great aspirations and keep it up. You're lucky as hell too! I would lower, intake, exhaust. Then wheels and kit later. good luck! Maybe some booming sounds too!
Exactly what I'm going to do with my car, lower it get the exhaust and purchase the intake. I gotta find some wheels and kits that I like, I'm thinking about later down the road to purchase the front wald kit!

Originally Posted by DigitalDon
Since when : ) became (: ? The latter just hurts my head.. I must be getting old..

Well keep up the good attitude and motivation, it will take you far.

You also need to think about reoccurring payments like the loan, insurance, gas, etc. Not to mention those rates will be high for you. Will you be working while going to school? And don't you need to be a full time student to get scholarships? Just some things to consider..

To answer the question, my first mods were a drop, tint, lighting, exhaust.
I work for everything, I work for my parents at their business every Friday Sat and Sun. They're private owned, and as long as I do good in school and work when I'm suppose to parents will support me 100%! I'm going to be a fulltime student, but also working on the weekends! I've planned out everything before I even thought about buying a car(:

I'm going to tint my car, I'm not sure % I'm going to tint it, what do you think is nice on the IS? You think the F-Sport Exhaust is worth it?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-11, 08:03 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F sport exhaust is worth every penny to me. Keep up the good work young man.
Old 01-28-11, 08:35 AM
crf250450
Driver School Candidate

my first mod will be wheels!
Old 01-28-11, 10:19 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Congrats on the future purchase. Hope to see you around orlando!
Old 01-28-11, 10:43 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Go with mods you like and can afford. Look on the classifieds for some good deals to your style. Tint is a must in Florida so that would be my first mod.. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to CL. And nice to hear you work hard for what you earned My daughter will be attending UCF soon...Go Knights!!
Old 01-28-11, 07:14 PM
ixAznBeNxi
Driver School Candidate

Just purchased the 'o8 is250 today! Very excited! I'm probably going to tint my Windows soon, and work my way in purchasing the exhaust! Does anyone around Orlando area have a shop they recommend to get my windows tinted and what % looks best?
Old 01-31-11, 09:08 AM
Allstar035
Driver School Candidate

Default what would you do? (IS350 purchase question)

I have been searching for a while to go from my evo8 to an is350. I have narrowed it down to two vehicles. Im stuck between a 2008 with 28,000 miles for $27,000, and a 2006 with 51,000 miles for $21,500. Both are the way i want them. Is 51,000 alot of miles for these cars? Do they last for a while? And specific problems i should look out for?
Old 01-31-11, 09:29 AM
calvin2376
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Allstar,

I just bought my 2007 IS350 on Monday, traded in an '03 E55 AMG (thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ils-in-md.html).

I bought it from a dealer, my IS had 56k miles, black/tan, GFX, F-sport exhaust, lux package, nav, and was Lexus certified (3 year/up to 125k mile comprehensive warranty). Mine was $24k.

There's another thread on here asking for input on high-mileage IS's, and a few people on there have already reached 80-90k miles on 06-08 model years and they have few complaints. Lexus is a solid brand and in my experience will be more reliable on average than BMW or Merc, etc.

The major consideration between these two for me comes down not to the mileage but the fact that the '08 has quite a bit more factory warranty left on it. This could save you quite a bit in the short term (since the basic bumper-to-bumper expires after 4 years I believe). I'd think less about the mileage difference and more about whether you think the '08's warranty will save you the $6,000 difference you're paying.

Both sound like pretty good deals given their year and mileage, and the assumption they're optioned up (since you say they're the way you like them). I love mine, and am very happy I made the deal.

I know there are a few issues that affect 2nd-gen IS's (I can't help with that since I'm a new owner), so I'd search the forums for common issues affecting IS's and check that the 2006 with 51k miles has had these repairs performed or issues addressed. One thing that's affecting me right now is this dash rattle that there's a TSB for that costs about $1000 to fix (and seems to affect all IS's) and it's covered by the warranty you'd get on the '08 but NOT the '06.

Just some thoughts, hope you make one of the deals happen!

Brad
Old 01-31-11, 09:30 AM
calvin2376
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, out of curiosity (since I just traded in for my IS) why are you going from the Evo to the IS? Is it just time or are there specific reasons? And why'd you pick the IS? Always curious to hear how others' thought processes worked.
Old 02-01-11, 02:13 PM
Allstar035
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the advice, as for why am i going from evo to is, i just want that luxury look and feel. I love my evo, its pretty built and a ton of fun, but its alot of work. The lexus looks so sexy and the interior is gorgeous, i just cant resist. And after watching videos on these with an intake/midpipe/exhaust they sound great.
Old 02-01-11, 02:17 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I say go with the 06 with 5k saved can go to mods.But with the 08 you get the factory warranty still and its easier to turn off the traction control for winter driving.
Old 02-01-11, 03:40 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

It'll depend on how long you plan on keeping the car. If you're going to keep it for a whilte, 51k is nothing. The car will hit 200k easy with proper maintenance
Old 02-01-11, 03:54 PM
ScKcBc
Lexus Test Driver

evos are crap, i did the same transition, best move I ever did. I'll never get another evo.

I'd offer 19k and 25k. The question comes down to this:

Would you pay $5500 for a factory bumper to bumper warranty, 23k less miles and 2 years younger of a car? I would, but that's just me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buyer's Guide to Used Lexus 2nd Gen IS Models (merged buying advise threads)