IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Two new annoying rattles: center of dash and rear deck brakelight housing

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 07:43 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Two new annoying rattles: center of dash and rear deck brakelight housing

Since I bought my 2007 IS350 CPO with 56k miles about 3 months ago, it’s been less than bulletproof from a build quality standpoint. The dealership basically sold a car CPO they knew they shouldn’t have; it had quite a few squeaks, rattles, and failing trim pieces, none of which should have passed CPO inspection. The dealer fixed a few of these things goodwill, but they seem to keep coming up. I’m wondering if anyone has thoughts on two specific issues that have arisen recently:

1) My car’s been into the dealer 5 separate times for the dash rattle, and each time it’s come back the fix hasn’t been 100%. The most recent time however it seemed like it was fixed, and the dealer basically implied that as far as they’re concerned it’s fixed, but after about a week there arose an aggressive rattle right in the center of the dash.

Originally, the entire dash was squeaking. It was specifically a squeak (like two plastic parts rubbing together that shouldn’t be), and was coming from all parts of the dash: in front of the driver, the center, and in front of the passenger. As they applied increasing amounts of felt under the dash pad (over the 5 times it was there), the rattles seemed to dissipate, and now it’s to the point where the points in front of the driver and passenger seem fine.

However, squarely in the center, right where the speaker is (picture below), there’s now a very aggressive and distinct rattle – it’s no longer a squeak like before, it’s like something’s come loose and is rattling. It’s worse when the car’s colder – over the course of the day with the sun heating up the dash, it gets a bit better. But it’s getting quite irritating.

Two new annoying rattles: center of dash and rear deck brakelight housing-dash-rattle-cl.jpg

I know there are tons of different versions of and experiences with the infamous dash rattle, but I wanted to ask if anyone’s had this specific issue – a rattle right where the dash meets the windshield right around the speaker area. Also, the perforated plastic speaker cover seems loose – does anyone know how to remove it? Removing the whole dash pad is a 3-4 hour job, but if I can remove the speaker cover only it might give me at least a peek at what might be going on.

2) I’m also experiencing a rattle from the rear deck behind the headrests of the rear seats. I’ve poked around back there and have determined it’s the plastic housing for the brakelight. The entire housing is loose – it will move both side to side and up and down (therefore rattling against the rear windshield).

Two new annoying rattles: center of dash and rear deck brakelight housing-rear-deck-1-cl.jpg

Two new annoying rattles: center of dash and rear deck brakelight housing-rear-deck-2-cl.jpg

Has anyone experienced this and does anyone know how I might be able to tighten it down? If I remove it (anyone know how?) will I get a better look at what could be causing this?

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 05-05-11, 09:31 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have ML, there is nothing in that space by the windshield. You can pop it out easily enough. I stuck a nail file in there about an inch from either end and disengaged the tabs there. Then I put some felt around it all. Seemed to help but on really bumpy roads I still hear something almost like it's in the vents. Sounds very close to the driver side. I agree it's annoying.

I don't have the brake light rattle (knock on wood). Maybe you can put a couple clear bumpers (like they use on the inside of kitchen cabinets) in between the glass and the housing...
Old 05-06-11, 06:37 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by embolism
Unless you have ML, there is nothing in that space by the windshield. You can pop it out easily enough. I stuck a nail file in there about an inch from either end and disengaged the tabs there. Then I put some felt around it all. Seemed to help but on really bumpy roads I still hear something almost like it's in the vents. Sounds very close to the driver side. I agree it's annoying.

I don't have the brake light rattle (knock on wood). Maybe you can put a couple clear bumpers (like they use on the inside of kitchen cabinets) in between the glass and the housing...
Thanks for your response.

I do not have ML - so you're saying there's no speaker under that panel? And do you think you could show me on the picture where the tabs are? I'm very nervous about trying to pop it off because if I break a tab, it's just going to cause more rattling.

What exactly is under there if not a speaker? What will I get a view of?
Old 05-06-11, 06:48 AM
nastyemu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel for you man. I bought a 07 with 30k on it a few months ago and I couldn't believe the rattles in the dash.

Personally mine work a little on the opposite, when the car is cool it's fine, then the rattles ramp up after about 45 minutes or sooner on a warm day. I have 2 distinct rattles, one in the left side vent/instrument cluster area, and one that I get over bad roads that sounds like the whole dash it bumping up against the windshield or something. I had a BMW 3 series for 6 years and I never heard a peep out of the dash even though I had pulled it apart several times to change trim and install a touchscreen, etc. I don't really understand how such a poorly built dash made it through production.

Took it in for service once, and they were a pain to deal with especially with even getting them to acknowledge any rattling. Once they "fixed" it, the rattle was back in about a week. I can't sit around taking days off to leave it with them to fix every other week so yesterday I ordered a bunch of "foam tape" of varying sizes and thickness from amazon. I plan on taking this ***** apart myself and padding everything plastic under the dash and fixing it for good. I haven't found any DIY on taking apart the dash yet so hopefully I don't mess anything up..... will take photos though and do a writeup if I'm successful.
Old 05-06-11, 07:01 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Thanks for your response.

I do not have ML - so you're saying there's no speaker under that panel? And do you think you could show me on the picture where the tabs are? I'm very nervous about trying to pop it off because if I break a tab, it's just going to cause more rattling.

What exactly is under there if not a speaker? What will I get a view of?
That panel looks slotted but if you look closely through the windshield, it has no holes. It's probably different if you have ML otherwise the sound wouldn't come out. There is a thread on here about the "secret compartment" that was quite amusing. People were thinking of putting an air freshener in there or other "stuff"... haha.

Anyhow, once the cover is off, there isn't anything in there just empty space that runs the width of the car. I think I saw a bundle of wires or something but I was really just looking for anything loose. As for taking the cover out, just pry it gently. I was apprehensive at first too but the tabs (for lack of a better word) aren't fragile at all, they are more like thick pieces of plastic that fit into slots like the piece in the glove compartment blocking the cabin filter.
Old 05-06-11, 07:30 AM
calvin2376
Racer

That panel looks slotted but if you look closely through the windshield, it has no holes. It's probably different if you have ML otherwise the sound wouldn't come out. There is a thread on here about the "secret compartment" that was quite amusing. People were thinking of putting an air freshener in there or other "stuff"... haha.

Anyhow, once the cover is off, there isn't anything in there just empty space that runs the width of the car. I think I saw a bundle of wires or something but I was really just looking for anything loose. As for taking the cover out, just pry it gently. I was apprehensive at first too but the tabs (for lack of a better word) aren't fragile at all, they are more like thick pieces of plastic that fit into slots like the piece in the glove compartment blocking the cabin filter.
This is great info, thanks a lot. And were you able to do anything inside that empty space (like apply felt, etc), that did anything to mitigate the rattle?
Old 05-06-11, 07:33 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Originally Posted by nastyemu
I feel for you man. I bought a 07 with 30k on it a few months ago and I couldn't believe the rattles in the dash.

Personally mine work a little on the opposite, when the car is cool it's fine, then the rattles ramp up after about 45 minutes or sooner on a warm day. I have 2 distinct rattles, one in the left side vent/instrument cluster area, and one that I get over bad roads that sounds like the whole dash it bumping up against the windshield or something. I had a BMW 3 series for 6 years and I never heard a peep out of the dash even though I had pulled it apart several times to change trim and install a touchscreen, etc. I don't really understand how such a poorly built dash made it through production.

Took it in for service once, and they were a pain to deal with especially with even getting them to acknowledge any rattling. Once they "fixed" it, the rattle was back in about a week. I can't sit around taking days off to leave it with them to fix every other week so yesterday I ordered a bunch of "foam tape" of varying sizes and thickness from amazon. I plan on taking this ***** apart myself and padding everything plastic under the dash and fixing it for good. I haven't found any DIY on taking apart the dash yet so hopefully I don't mess anything up..... will take photos though and do a writeup if I'm successful.
If you're still under factory warranty, I have to recommend that you take it into the dealer to have this work done. If they don't fix it satisfactorily at first, keep bringing it back and make them get it right. The reason I say this is that taking out the dash pad is a 3-4 hour, very involved job and is not easy for someone not familiar with Lexus service. In addition, even if you get under there and apply felt, you have an enormous chance of causing more issues than you started with simply by poking around underneath and then trying to get fitment fully correct when you're putting it back together.

If you do undergo this, best of luck and do take pictures and post a write-up. However, if you've already had this done at the dealer and they didn't fix it right, you can still take it back to them (warranty on their work should be at least 1 year) and have them do it again. I'd say exhaust the dealer before trying it yourself, since you're still under warranty.
Old 05-06-11, 09:23 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

that plastic cover around the rear brake light just comes off. try repositioning it or pressing on it all the way around. mine was rattling after I got my windows tinted because the guy removed it to do the back. once I did what I stated it went away for the most part.
Old 05-06-11, 10:11 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by calvin2376
This is great info, thanks a lot. And were you able to do anything inside that empty space (like apply felt, etc), that did anything to mitigate the rattle?
I put some felt around the front lip closest to the windshield and it helped for a bit but I'm still hearing something that sounds like it's inside the drivers side center console vent... very annoying

what use is all the external sound buffering tech if you have annoying internal cabin noises. Just makes them more pronounced imo, and did I mention annoying?
Old 05-06-11, 11:06 AM
calvin2376
Racer

I put some felt around the front lip closest to the windshield and it helped for a bit but I'm still hearing something that sounds like it's inside the drivers side center console vent... very annoying

what use is all the external sound buffering tech if you have annoying internal cabin noises. Just makes them more pronounced imo, and did I mention annoying?
Yeah it's become very clear to me in only 3 months of ownership that Lexus cut some corners in its choice of materials and build quality in the 2IS.

My first two cars were both 1990 Lexus LS400s. One had 180k miles, the other had 150k. I'm not exaggerating when I say that even with close to 200k miles, neither one had a single noise, squeak, or rattle on the interior. Nor did interior and exterior trim pieces simply fail like they do on my 2IS. Two plastic interior panels under the dash on my car are loose because tabs and clips have broken, and the weatherstripping around the windshield had to be replaced at 50k miles. Nothing like either of those things ever had to be done to either LS400. My dad has had a 1999 LS400 and currently has a 2005 LS430, and my grandfather has had a 1996 LS400 and currently has an LS460. Nothing like these problems on any of those cars.

I think Lexus was simply under competitive pressure to offer a small, sporty, luxury sedan but at a (for Lexus) low price, and in order to make it viable they cut some corners, plain and simple. The dash pad design on the 2IS is particularly egregious. I'm shocked they didn't foresee rampant interior noise issues with this design of a giant dash pad in one piece that's attached via plastic clips with little noise insulation underneath which still leaves plenty of flex and give in the dash. When I first looked at the 2IS and pushed on the dash and realized the whole thing flexed and moved, I asked if that should be happening and they said yes, that's the design. Well, it's precisely that flex that causes squeaks and rattles each time you drive over uneven surfaces. In cars where the dashes are solidly attached and don't give so easily (like the LS), you don't have anywhere near these types of issues.

Anyway, back to the issues at hand.