IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Thinking About Wrapping my car

Old 02-15-11, 10:58 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wait i dont get it, you have a black car that looks great when its detailed, yet you wanna wrap it to protect it, so~ you gonna peal it off at meets n stuff to show off the black paint? OR you just gonna end up leaving it on hiding the beautiful black paint? In that case why'd you get black for in the first place?

sorry i have more questions for this mod and none of the answers seem to make any sense. Don't do it.
Old 02-15-11, 10:59 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoAlias
thats one heck of a project. i tried doing a gloss vinyl grill wrap project myself and i failed miserably, given it was my first time wrapping anything . it was really hard getting around the curves and bends. it could have been the type of vinyl i used as it didnt conform to the shape so easily (i just went for the cheap stuff found on ebay). i ended up scrapping the project. if there's anything i learned from this experience, it's that reading DIY on the forums makes projects look alot easier than it actually is, and pick a good quality (expensive) vinyl that wont make your life a living hell.
did u use a heat gun??? Ive always used it since it helps on curves
Old 02-15-11, 11:03 AM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
did u use a heat gun??? Ive always used it since it helps on curves
yup heat gun and all, just had really crappy quality vinyl.
Old 02-15-11, 11:06 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
wait i dont get it, you have a black car that looks great when its detailed, yet you wanna wrap it to protect it, so~ you gonna peal it off at meets n stuff to show off the black paint? OR you just gonna end up leaving it on hiding the beautiful black paint? In that case why'd you get black for in the first place?

sorry i have more questions for this mod and none of the answers seem to make any sense. Don't do it.
Well im doing it so i can protect the paint of my car and also so i dont have to kick myself for not have a garage. And if i wrap it why would i peel it off when i go to meets. Thats just waste of my time. I know the car looks beautiful in its original paint but having to maintain it is a pain in the ***. If i could go back in time when i was buying my car i would choose something along the line of white or silver
Old 02-15-11, 11:07 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NoAlias
yup heat gun and all, just had really crappy quality vinyl.
i see. the vinyl quality does make a difference
Old 02-15-11, 11:17 AM
johnchi
Driver

The vinyl quality make a huge difference both in durability and overall appearance. Oh and do yourself a favor and do it with another person at least.
My friends shop used ORACAL wrap - think its a German company and while its a bit harder to work with compared to 3M it isnt all that flat. When clean its more of a Satin black, more so than the 3M material when compared side by side.
While pictures are from a long time ago and not that good of a quality it gives a general idea of how it looks.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...most-done.html
Old 02-15-11, 11:24 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by johnchi
The vinyl quality make a huge difference both in durability and overall appearance. Oh and do yourself a favor and do it with another person at least.
My friends shop used ORACAL wrap - think its a German company and while its a bit harder to work with compared to 3M it isnt all that flat. When clean its more of a Satin black, more so than the 3M material when compared side by side.
While pictures are from a long time ago and not that good of a quality it gives a general idea of how it looks.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...most-done.html

that looks real nice, quality looks good as well. How much did it cost to order the vinyl?
Old 02-15-11, 11:42 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That is a serious undertaking. I hope you're a patient person.
Old 02-15-11, 11:46 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Im pretty patient, ill give it a shot and see what happens
Old 02-15-11, 03:52 PM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That guy with the bimmer is a champ! It's going to be challenging, especially without a garage. GL!
Old 02-15-11, 06:11 PM
shiny250
Advanced

why not use aerotect's frostbite vinyl? it gives the effect of a matte finish with aerotect quality.

as everyone has said before, use quality vinyl. if you dont***, it could come out like this:
Attached Thumbnails Thinking About Wrapping my car-4391424794_9ae2169c43_z.jpg  

Last edited by shiny250; 02-15-11 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-15-11, 07:03 PM
ohiostate
Driver

This is why I dont buy black cars...
Good luck on the wrap.. Post pics when done!
Old 02-16-11, 02:08 AM
vinconist
Pole Position

Haha I feel u, that's why I wrapped my car, to protect the paint, then it became protect the vinyl, honestly if u have the patience and will power, u can do it, only gona take about 2 weeks by urself, btw u need a heat gun, or a hair dyer, and the hardest part is going to be ur rear bumper, be prepared, it was hell for me, and u have to do it right so that means taking all the door panels out to take out the door handles and getting the mirror out, the mirror is also pretty hard to wrap cuz it curves so watch out, also make sure u have a sharp exacto knife, have 3 just to be safe, and use ur finger nails to trace out the cut before actually cutting it, and make sure ur cars spotless before u wrap as in there not a single gain of dust anywhere, like in ur wheel well or behind the doors where the weather strip touches, good luck, let me know if u have questions cuz it's gona be a bitcchh to wrap the entire car, be ready to drive around with parts of it wrapped too haha
Old 02-16-11, 05:33 AM
johnchi
Driver

Bigrahizzl - Dont know how much it costs to order it - My friends had the material.
As noted above - the car needs to be spotless and dust free before you start any part. Even when thats the case a closed clean space is a must. You will be surprised how a single strand of long blond hair floating around (from GF head :-) ) shows up under the vinyl.
The door cards, door handles, mirrors taillights and more need to come out to get that pro look.
Old 02-16-11, 08:40 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

yea i got to be careful with the dust flying around. One question are these applied with water??

@Vinconist - where did u apply urs? inside or outside? Also im not trying to take off headlights etc would like to work without having to take anything off

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking About Wrapping my car