IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AirBag light ON *with resolution**TSB*

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-14, 01:41 PM
PNice972
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, I just wanted to post in here that this saved me a trip and a HUGE headache!!!! popped open both air bags and pushed in connector a bit and FIXED! Thanks guys!!!
Old 10-01-14, 08:01 AM
FMJ IS
Pole Position

Glad i came across this thread, thanks to all those who contribute, CL forum ROCK!

Do you think installing the steering demper make this situation worst?
Which two airbag is actually affected? steering and the driver's knee airbag?
Old 10-02-14, 06:38 AM
littleyan9
Rookie

Thanks INfectious for the clear pictures! I am going to try this later today to get rid of my AB light!

Originally Posted by iNfectious
I took some pictures while I was under there.The yellow harness is like the one for the steering wheel airbag (if anyone install the steering wheel dampener).

I didn't do much under the dash. I moved the harness around and checked for any loose connection. The harness wasn't strain or tied down like ChumpusRex posted. I just might have bumped it and pulled the harness when I worked under there previously.

Finally reconnect the harness to the airbag. The airbag light went off. I know disconnecting the battery didn't take the light off because I've done it before a couple times. Let's see if the light comes back.

Yellow harness on the right. Next picture is zoomed in.

Take a flathead and get under the yellow tab to pop it up and pull the harness off.

Old 11-03-14, 10:10 PM
simonsayss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Update:
it's been almost 4 months, thousands of miles.
Never come up again.
Old 11-03-14, 11:49 PM
AhMeTaPoo
Rookie

Hope this works for me my lights been on forever, going to try it out tomorrow!
Old 12-02-14, 10:28 AM
kevin125
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iNfectious
I took some pictures while I was under there.The yellow harness is like the one for the steering wheel airbag (if anyone install the steering wheel dampener).

I didn't do much under the dash. I moved the harness around and checked for any loose connection. The harness wasn't strain or tied down like ChumpusRex posted. I just might have bumped it and pulled the harness when I worked under there previously.

Finally reconnect the harness to the airbag. The airbag light went off. I know disconnecting the battery didn't take the light off because I've done it before a couple times. Let's see if the light comes back.

Yellow harness on the right. Next picture is zoomed in.

Take a flathead and get under the yellow tab to pop it up and pull the harness off.

If your ever in NY and im around I owe you a beer. You saved me $2800. Thats labor and parts. Thank you soo much!!!
Old 12-02-14, 04:50 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Old 12-06-14, 02:14 PM
Smitslex
Driver

Anyone have a video how to do this?
Old 12-06-14, 02:28 PM
jst17
Driver

Originally Posted by Smitslex
Anyone have a video how to do this?
Just pry open the side panel on the driver's side, remove the panel. Then, remove the two screws below the SRS airbag system which is below the steering wheel column and the second panels should come out. The yellow/orange tab is within. Push on it and it will be good as new

I am having final exams atm, but if you can wait a week, I can film a video for this and post it on you-tube.
Old 12-06-14, 03:37 PM
Smitslex
Driver

Originally Posted by jst17
Just pry open the side panel on the driver's side, remove the panel. Then, remove the two screws below the SRS airbag system which is below the steering wheel column and the second panels should come out. The yellow/orange tab is within. Push on it and it will be good as new

I am having final exams atm, but if you can wait a week, I can film a video for this and post it on you-tube.

My dealer said my airbag light is bc the passenger side knee airbag however it's hard to tell if they are right or not. Are they the same for both sides? It would be nice to have a video though so i won't mess anything up. I'm new to this IS so i have never taken anything off it.
Old 12-18-14, 03:34 PM
DarkSeph
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

How did you guys remove the panel on the side? I just tried to do it manually and ended up ripping it off, and now it won't fit back into the dash properly and there's a gap. Are there some hidden screws or some way of getting the panel off other than just pulling?
Old 01-07-15, 06:23 AM
cbst09
Driver School Candidate

Guys, I just purchased a 2006 Lexus IS250 and the airbag light was on. I saw this thread and pushed both the drivers side as well as passenger side plugs in securely. Neither seemed loose but after I reconnected the battery the airbag light is now off. I hope this stays off and if it does, this is the greatest thread EVER! Thank you!
Old 01-13-15, 10:38 AM
lionelyu
Driver School Candidate

Default Airbag TSB

Any IS have the airbag wire harness issue and is out of warranty? Did Lexus refuse to fix it?
TSB:L-SB-0167-08
Old 01-14-15, 01:03 PM
kevin125
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lionelyu
Any IS have the airbag wire harness issue and is out of warranty? Did Lexus refuse to fix it?
TSB:L-SB-0167-08
Idk if you considered this refused but they refused me. I had the tsib for the pistons done and when I received my car back the light was on. I spoke to my advisor and he said they have nothing to do with it because they only worked on the engine. He said he will keep the car and diagnosis the problem. He called me back a day later and said the airbag harness was the problem and it would cost me close to $3000. I asked why would it cost me when I came in with the airbag light off and came out with the airbag light on. He said since its an old car these things malfunction. So I asked to speak to his manager, his manager said the paint on the front bumper and back bumper is thicker then the factory paint, meaning the bumpers were repainted. I said yes, clearly I live and park in nyc, so I have paint chips from people backing into me when parking, so I had it painted, but check the computer on the car and see if the airbag has ever been deployed. He stood shut and said we already did one tsib free for you are you going to get this fixed or not? I can get you a discount but that's all. I took my car and left. Shame its a safety problem and they won't fix it. Also I bought the car brand new from there dealership.

This fix will pretty much do the trick until you hit another deep pothole or bump. Like someone said previously, the harness is short and it tugs on one end to the other. So eventually it will keep tugging until one of the ends come loose and damage the clip. I'm surprised no one filed a law suit against Lexus about this yet

Last edited by kevin125; 01-14-15 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-17-15, 07:35 PM
jst17
Driver

If anyone need a VIDEO of the process of fixing this issue. Please PM me with your email. I will send you a video of myself doing it.

Quick Reply: AirBag light ON *with resolution**TSB*