IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Can I run with ECT Power mode continuosly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 08:30 PM
biiishplz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvex
But that seems to contradict what biiishplz is saying?

Namely " .... the 2013 model does NOT change speed switching into PWR mode, suggesting that at some point in between 2007 and 2013, ..."

So maybe the change was made in MY2013 cars?

Silvex
Well it could, once again, simply be an apples to oranges comparison. Maybe things are different even between IS250 and IS350. I only compared a 2013 IS250 to my 2007 IS250. Throttle tip-in is noticeably different in the two modes in mine, that's for sure. Maybe the throttle still changes in IS350s? Like I said before, I'm not trying to definitively say that this is true for all 2IS's. Just offering my own small sample of anecdotal evidence.
Old 03-28-13, 08:41 PM
biiishplz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.
"IS250 RWD uses the A960E"
That's answered that question nicely. Good.
That's been bugging me for a while.
Another way to tell (This is true for ALL Toyotas since at least the mid-'80s): The sticker inside the driver's door jamb has the info underneath the barcode under "A/TM:", short for Axle/Transmission. In this case, mine reads B03A/A960E. My old Corolla said -02A/C52, as it had a C52 manual transaxle. C/TR also tells you the color code and interior trim code. I could go further into it. but that would be going way off topic here.

Just to clarify.
When you say "I definitely prefer the throttle mapping in the ECT NORM mode, ..."
Do you mean essentially that the pedal movement is 'softer'?
That is, has more 'travel' before things happen?

Silvex
Yes, the throttle tip-in is noticeably less aggressive. I've always preferred a long-travel, floor-hinged pedal, just like the ones that could be found in my parents' '91 and '96 LS400s, so the less aggressive throttle mapping in ECT NORM is a great thing to me. Sorry to get off topic, but I have to mention: You would think floor-hinged pedals would be getting floor mats trapped over them all the time, leading to unintended acceleration, but who has ever heard of a runaway LS400?
Old 03-30-13, 02:40 AM
Silvex
Rookie

Originally Posted by biiishplz
Well it could, once again, simply be an apples to oranges comparison. Maybe things are different even between IS250 and IS350. I only compared a 2013 IS250 to my 2007 IS250. Throttle tip-in is noticeably different in the two modes in mine, that's for sure. Maybe the throttle still changes in IS350s? Like I said before, I'm not trying to definitively say that this is true for all 2IS's. Just offering my own small sample of anecdotal evidence.
I tried the ECT PWR pattern switch off/on routine on my MY21011 car.
No change.
Just like your MY2013 loaner.

So my experience is definitely not the same as jgr7 MY2012 who said "My 12 IS350C speeds up when put into pwr mode.", right?

But I notice that his car was a 350.
Was jgr7 doing exactly the same test as us I wonder?
Also, as you said "Maybe things are different even between IS250 and IS350."

Silvex
Old 03-30-13, 02:50 AM
Silvex
Rookie

Another way to tell (This is true for ALL Toyotas since at least the mid-'80s): The sticker inside the driver's door jamb has the info underneath the barcode under "A/TM:", short for Axle/Transmission. In this case, mine reads B03A/A960E. My old Corolla said -02A/C52, as it had a C52 manual transaxle. C/TR also tells you the color code and interior trim code. I could go further into it. but that would be going way off topic here.

Yes, the throttle tip-in is noticeably less aggressive. I've always preferred a long-travel, floor-hinged pedal, just like the ones that could be found in my parents' '91 and '96 LS400s, so the less aggressive throttle mapping in ECT NORM is a great thing to me. Sorry to get off topic, but I have to mention: You would think floor-hinged pedals would be getting floor mats trapped over them all the time, leading to unintended acceleration, but who has ever heard of a runaway LS400?
"The sticker inside the driver's door jamb has the info underneath the ..... "
I didn't know that information was there.
Very interesting and useful to know.
Thanks.
I'll have a look next time I take the car out.

"Yes, the throttle tip-in is noticeably less aggressive. ..... "
Great.
Thanks for that explanation.
I think I've got it now.

" .... but who has ever heard of a runaway LS400?"
Just checking you're joking here?
The LS400 _did_ run away, right?

Silvex
Old 03-30-13, 10:51 AM
Clau

I try not to drive with it on all the time......or else my mpg drops like crazy b/c it puts me in the "fast and furious" mode hahah
Old 04-01-13, 01:13 PM
Silvex
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fury82
ECT Power rocks but for fuel efficiency I usually have it off :/
Yes, p156 of the MY2011 IS250 F-Sport Owner's Manual is quite clear.

"To improve fuel consumption and reduce noises (sic), set the shift lever in the D position for normal driving."

Unfortunately, they do not say what position the ECT Pattern Select switch should be in.
Presumably, Normal mode position.

As you may have noted earlier in the thread.
Others report no difference at all between ECT Normal and ECT PWR.

Silvex
Old 04-03-13, 01:35 PM
Silvex
Rookie

"The sticker inside the driver's door jamb has the info underneath the ..... "
I didn't know that information was there.
Very interesting and useful to know.
Thanks.
I'll have a look next time I take the car out.

"Yes, the throttle tip-in is noticeably less aggressive. ..... "
Great.
Thanks for that explanation.
I think I've got it now.

" .... but who has ever heard of a runaway LS400?"
Just checking you're joking here?
The LS400 _did_ run away, right?

Silvex
Yup, you're dead right, of course!
"In this case, mine reads B03A/A960E. "
Mine (MY2011 IS250 F-Sport) reads the same i.e. xxxx/A960E
I did not make a note of the xxxx part of the code.
I don't think it was B03A though.
No matter.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-13, 08:13 PM
biiishplz
Driver School Candidate

Yup, you're dead right, of course!
"In this case, mine reads B03A/A960E. "
Mine (MY2011 IS250 F-Sport) reads the same i.e. xxxx/A960E
I did not make a note of the xxxx part of the code.
I don't think it was B03A though.
No matter.

Thanks.
Yes, of course I'm right! (Kidding). From being interested in cars and growing up in a family where just about everyone drives a Toyota product, as well as 10 years of owning an AE102 Corolla, I've amassed an almost disturbing level of knowledge about Toyota and their products and procedures. I'm always glad to be able to share this knowledge. If I don't, it means knowing it is all for nought.

On another note, if anyone wants to see tangible proof of changing throttle mapping with the ECT PWR/NORM switch, try switching it on a flat, level road at constant speed and constant throttle position with the display in the gauge cluster set to the instant fuel consumption graph. In this test, I can see a considerable change in fuel consumption each time I switch modes. This is a more quantifiable measure than seeing any perceived change in vehicle speed.
Old 04-15-13, 11:44 PM
Silvex
Rookie

Yes, of course I'm right! (Kidding). From being interested in cars and growing up in a family where just about everyone drives a Toyota product, as well as 10 years of owning an AE102 Corolla, I've amassed an almost disturbing level of knowledge about Toyota and their products and procedures. I'm always glad to be able to share this knowledge. If I don't, it means knowing it is all for nought.

On another note, if anyone wants to see tangible proof of changing throttle mapping with the ECT PWR/NORM switch, try switching it on a flat, level road at constant speed and constant throttle position with the display in the gauge cluster set to the instant fuel consumption graph. In this test, I can see a considerable change in fuel consumption each time I switch modes. This is a more quantifiable measure than seeing any perceived change in vehicle speed.
< I'm always glad to be able to share this knowledge. If I don't, it means knowing it is all for nought. >

That's a nice thought and outlook on life.

<.... try switching it on a flat, level road at constant speed and constant throttle position with the display in the gauge cluster set to the instant fuel consumption graph.>

I'll certainly try this at the next available opportunity.

In the meantime, I'm still struggling (and enjoying) to understand exactly what the ECT is doing in my car.

Stand-by for more questions!

Silvex
Old 08-14-23, 06:40 PM
Camber90210
1st Gear

Default Pwr mode turns off and on by itself.

Originally Posted by jtamulis
you SHOULD use it in PWR mode ALWAYS. It'll make your transmission last longer. It firms up the shifts, and generates less heat. less heat = more tranny life. A few toyota master techs said always, always use PWR mode.

Jeff
so I just got this car a while back maybe a month and a half ago and it’s just acting weird after I drive it for the first time. It was misfiring so I fixed the tune and got a new set of coil packs and I got a new knock sensor harness. After I replaced it the guy that scanned my car said it needs a code deleted for the knock sensor. Could that be what’s interfering with my car at all because even if its not on the light will show that it’s in and it not making much sense too me and I don’t wanna mess up my transmission.