Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Dashboard Melting!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 07:33 AM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I went to the stealership last week and was told the same thing (Park Place Lexus - Plano, TX and they suck compared to Sewell Lexus) ... Was told I would have better luck calling Lexus corp. I have a friend that works for Lexus and gave me the low down of how it works behind closed doors. I submitted a ticket to the Lexus corp and recall bulletin. It is true corporate is there to keep the stealership in check. If anybody has an issue, I would call/email the corporate office and complain. Then they will call the stealership to make arrangements and keep their *** in check. Corporate is on the customer side, not the stealership. Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-14, 05:25 PM
navarachi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tdrag97
Update guys. Corp office call us back and try will be replacing only the front dash and two front door panel. They will cover both parts and labor.

As for the rear two door panel, we would be paying for parts and labor. Not as lucky as other who we able to get corp to pay for parts and they pay for labor. Door panel are $1,100 ea. crazy.

But we will fix the front doors and dash and order the rear later

Good luck all.
may I ask how bad your front doors and dash were? My dash has a few cracks and I'm wondering if they will cover it. I do have a platnum warranty. Thanks in advance
Old 08-20-14, 10:24 AM
CaptDank
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, just got an 07 IS250 with 80k miles yesterday. noticed today while detailing the car about the melting dash. not sure why I didnt notice it while inspecting the car.

its obviously out of warranty. noticed on previous post some people are getting it fixed by paying for the labor. Is this still true?

just looking for a general update before I go to the dealership/HQ about this issue

Thanks

south GA by the way
Old 08-20-14, 01:04 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Known problem that Lexus will fight you on.

Click here for help to get this fixed
Old 08-20-14, 05:49 PM
CaptDank
Driver School Candidate

anyone tried a solution similar to this?

[URL="http://my.is/forums/f221/diy-dashboard-fix-melting-dash-look-374628/[/URL]
Old 08-27-14, 02:56 PM
peter01335
Driver School Candidate

My 2007 IS250 also has the same sticky/melting dashboard issue. I recommend every one having the same issue goes to file a safety complaint in site https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml.

This is a safety issue - the melting dashboard get reflect on windshield and passenger side airbag just under it. No one has tested how big impact is for a melting dashboard.

I called Lexus Corp yesterday and was asked to take my car to dealership for evaluation. I will see how it goes.
Old 09-08-14, 09:20 AM
peter01335
Driver School Candidate

Wait for a few days, and eventually got a response from Lexus Corp. They only provide 50% of part, which I estimate $300 off the $1600 in replacement total. I am not going to spend $1,300 on this in this moment. I will join other Lexus owners in fighting for a recall.
Old 09-08-14, 03:49 PM
CaptDank
Driver School Candidate

Ive got an update.

Lexus will pay for 50% of the dash, and my dealer has agreed to charge me the labor at warranty cost.

havent called them back for complete pricing, but might only cost me around $500
Old 09-08-14, 07:46 PM
06IS250FL
Driver School Candidate

I have an 06 IS250 that has the melting dash and doors. A request was submitted to Lexus Corporate by my dealership (JM Lexus in Margate FL) and it came back that they will pay for the parts on the dash and one of the doors and nothing on labor. They will also not pay anything for the other front door...very strange. I don't think a request was filed for the rear doors. They said the labor for the dash and one door would be around $1500. Since the car is 8.5 yrs old and has 135K miles on it I told them I would pass on it. However, a few months later, I now have a problem with my AC evaporator ($1900) and the dealership has agreed to put in the dash at no additional cost since the part was originally covered under the letter from Lexus and since the dash has to be completely removed in order to replace the evaporator. Not sure yet if I'm going to get the evaporator replaced on such an old vehicle...the cost is about 1/4 of the value of the car! Anyway, Lexus does not seem to have a standard response to these claims as evidenced by all of the posts here. Seems strange that they've offered so many different options when it's all the same problem. It's a shame...these are great cars! I love mine and haven't tired of it in over 8 years.
Old 09-10-14, 06:49 AM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 06IS250FL
I have an 06 IS250 that has the melting dash and doors. A request was submitted to Lexus Corporate by my dealership (JM Lexus in Margate FL) and it came back that they will pay for the parts on the dash and one of the doors and nothing on labor. They will also not pay anything for the other front door...very strange. I don't think a request was filed for the rear doors. They said the labor for the dash and one door would be around $1500. Since the car is 8.5 yrs old and has 135K miles on it I told them I would pass on it. However, a few months later, I now have a problem with my AC evaporator ($1900) and the dealership has agreed to put in the dash at no additional cost since the part was originally covered under the letter from Lexus and since the dash has to be completely removed in order to replace the evaporator. Not sure yet if I'm going to get the evaporator replaced on such an old vehicle...the cost is about 1/4 of the value of the car! Anyway, Lexus does not seem to have a standard response to these claims as evidenced by all of the posts here. Seems strange that they've offered so many different options when it's all the same problem. It's a shame...these are great cars! I love mine and haven't tired of it in over 8 years.
Lexus of Pembroke Pines charged me $500.00 for labor to replace the dash with Lexus paying for the dash. $1500.00 sounds like you are paying for parts and labor. You should join the class action lawsuit for the dash and door panels.
Old 09-10-14, 06:57 AM
06IS250FL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WhatYaGot
Lexus of Pembroke Pines charged me $500.00 for labor to replace the dash with Lexus paying for the dash. $1500.00 sounds like you are paying for parts and labor. You should join the class action lawsuit for the dash and door panels.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Lexus will pay for the dash (just the part) and the labor and parts for one door so I think the $1500 charge would be for the labor for the dash and the parts and labor on the door they were not going to cover. However, since yesterday, JM says they need to get approval again for the one door because the regional manager who approved the initial request back in October, 2013 no longer works there. Not sure what that's all about since the previous RM represented Lexus corporate and that's what they offered me so not sure why they are backtracking a little bit. To my knowledge there was no "expiration date" on their original offer. Hopefully, the new RM will approve.
Old 09-10-14, 07:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

what is the labor cost for doing all 4 doors? For my dash I just put a dash cover on it. Do I have to go through the dealer first or do I just go straight to corporate.
Old 09-10-14, 07:26 AM
06IS250FL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
what is the labor cost for doing all 4 doors? For my dash I just put a dash cover on it. Do I have to go through the dealer first or do I just go straight to corporate.
My dealer had to file the claim with corporate. Don't know cost of all four doors. Assume labor on each door to be $200-$300 per door...obviously less labor-intensive than doing the dash but, in my case, I need to have my evaporator replaced so the whole dash needs to be removed anyway so we're not really paying any labor to have the dash replaced.
Old 01-26-17, 08:51 AM
msim
Driver School Candidate

Smile Dahboard replaced on warranty

I just got the melted dashboard changed for free, under the Toyota warranty, by my dealer in Columbia SC. It looks great! I placed the order in August 2016. 2007 ES 350.