See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Dashboard Melting!!

Old 09-06-11, 06:07 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been using a sun shade on mine all summer.... Ive recently noticed it was sticky and "soft" when it was really hot out and more scratches have appeared on my dash and i came to the conclusion it was from me removing/installing the sunshade when its hot and the dash is "soft" Ive always cleaned all my dashes with nothing but a damp rag and im pretty upset i have to deal with this, you would think Lexus learned their lesson after the IS300 issues. I bet LFA owners dont have "melting" dash's
Old 09-06-11, 06:56 PM
kingster
Pole Position

Correct me if I am wrong please.

Has anybody noticed that some of our plastic parts in the interior of our cars are made of recycled materials. I noticed the recycled symbol on the plastic door covers. I assume that all other plastic parts are also made of recycled materials. In my opinion, if it is made of recycled materials is not of good quality. It is of less durability, prone to scraches, streching, shrinking and possibly melting. Notice your plastics how easily they scratch. There is hardly ever a passenger in my car but the seat belt buckle keeps rubbing against the plastic when car is in motion and it is leaving marks already. We also got to be very careful with those step covers/trim. They scratch easily.

My opinions are only based on my observations after owning an IS for five years.
Does anybody have a different opinion?
Old 09-06-11, 08:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

The new car features very clearly states they use recycled plastics in the interior. Toyota has been doing this since at least '04.

I'm not having any of these issues with my F. The part for the F is the same as all other 2IS. I only rarely park in the sun - I learned my lesson with my Supra - and when I do, I have a shield in place to protect the dash from direct sunlight.

I don't use anything special on the dash and typically use a small California duster to clean it. No solutions of any kind.
Old 09-06-11, 10:45 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kingster
Correct me if I am wrong please.

Has anybody noticed that some of our plastic parts in the interior of our cars are made of recycled materials. I noticed the recycled symbol on the plastic door covers. I assume that all other plastic parts are also made of recycled materials. In my opinion, if it is made of recycled materials is not of good quality. It is of less durability, prone to scraches, streching, shrinking and possibly melting. Notice your plastics how easily they scratch. There is hardly ever a passenger in my car but the seat belt buckle keeps rubbing against the plastic when car is in motion and it is leaving marks already. We also got to be very careful with those step covers/trim. They scratch easily.

My opinions are only based on my observations after owning an IS for five years.
Does anybody have a different opinion?
Nothing wrong with going green.. IMO It still beats BMW's interior.
Old 09-07-11, 12:21 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Lexus recommends using warm water only, no chemicals.

If someone/you have been using chemicals on the dash, I don't think I'd blame Lexus for that. If you haven't been, then perhaps there is reason to complain.

Jeff
Old 09-07-11, 12:26 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

If you park under the sun most of the day, the dash can get sticky. I damaged mines for taking out the center vents. I think the material that auto manufacturer use now are crap.
Old 09-07-11, 07:35 PM
LDNN
Driver

Four days ago I purchased an 07 IS250 with 50080 miles and I noticed the samething. At first I thought it was a new material, then I found other threads about the dashboard on CL. I called Lexus this afternoon and they told me to take the car to the nearest dealer for an assessment, if the deal said that the material is defective Lexus may consider some "assistance". I've read on here that some folks got Lexus to pay for the part and the owner has to pick up the labor cost.
Old 09-08-11, 06:49 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

That's pretty much what happened to me. I'm driving to the dealership on Tuesday. Lexus already approved me for a new dash and all I have to pay is for the labor. Just a little warning, they gave me exactly 30 days to make the decision of paying for the labor. If within the 30 days I decided not to go through with it, the deal would be off. I definitely spoke my mind and felt It wasn't fair to feel pushed against the wall like that. Then, again I did file the complaint and I definitely don't want to pay for a new dash! or stay with this one for years to come!
Old 09-08-11, 07:28 PM
561Lexus
Driver

This was a common problem with the old IS300's... the dash would become sticky in the sun... wow this is the first I've heard in a 2IS tho... My recommendation... wait until it dries and hardens... Use a UV protectant dash cleaner NOT ARMOR-ALL... either Wolfgang, or pinnacle something high quality... thats what i use on mine... and mine is black and a day in the sun (in florida mind you) and I've never had this problem.... gotta take care of those dashes guys! Treat with UV Protectant, those things get hurt the most by the sun!
Old 09-08-11, 08:03 PM
3sgte_slow
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of this happening before to a 2is. I figure since u live in FL, sunshades and UV dash treatment should prevent further damage.
Old 09-08-11, 08:29 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Dang.. that is crazy. I'll be sure to be careful about this..
Old 09-13-11, 01:12 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

My dash is being replaced due to windshield replacement and the guy cutting into the dash pad with his stupid metal wire. i will be tinting the entire front window again at 35%.
Old 09-13-11, 06:48 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im suppose to be getting my dash replaced also, its been about a month, and i got a call today from the dealer again, stating its gonna be another 3 weeks to get the dash because its on back order..lol......Can anyone verify its actually on back order?...hopefully the dealer isnt just pushing it back because i called corp to complain on them about not returning my calls..lol
Old 09-13-11, 07:06 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Lexus of Tampa Bay said they can get mine right away.
Old 09-13-11, 08:51 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s6 4rings
Lexus of Tampa Bay said they can get mine right away.
LOL,,,,thats where im talking about....so i called corp to see if theres a faster process to get it replaced..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dashboard Melting!!