IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bad Smell coming from air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 10:13 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone used this on an IS?

Just want to make sure I don't damage anything by spraying this down the center AC vents.

This looks super easy to use, compared to the toyota version
Old 06-30-11, 04:19 PM
BMOONEY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 HS250h has smelled like camel dong since it left the dealership. The dealership does not seem to know why or how to remedy the problem. It nauseates me and really aggravates my allergies driving it. They have sprayed deordorizes in the filter, but it only lasts a week or so and the disgusting foul smell is back. I pray I'm not inhaling toxic molds every time I drive it.
Old 06-30-11, 05:49 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BMOONEY
My 2010 HS250h has smelled like camel dong since it left the dealership. The dealership does not seem to know why or how to remedy the problem. It nauseates me and really aggravates my allergies driving it. They have sprayed deordorizes in the filter, but it only lasts a week or so and the disgusting foul smell is back. I pray I'm not inhaling toxic molds every time I drive it.
Ummmm......return it?
Old 07-29-11, 09:32 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Anyone use this lately? I just ordered it off ebay and haven't had the chance to use it yet. Did your application of klima cleaner go smoothly?
Attached Thumbnails Bad Smell coming from air conditioning-klima.jpg  
Old 07-29-11, 10:48 PM
rza8gamma
Pole Position

I tried this last year and it got the job done, my car smelled like lemons for a short while after but it did a good job the smell went away.
Old 07-29-11, 10:53 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For those who have a nasty smell coming from the A/C, Lysol disinfectant spray is your best bet. I just tried the Toyota A/C Refresher Kit recently and it helped but didn't get rid of all the odors. Yesterday, I bought a can of Lysol and it worked like a charm. Simply start the car, put blower in the mode with outside air on high, and spray the Lysol through the vent by the wiper blades. After like 4 oz has been sprayed, let car run for like 5 minutes and let it ventilate afterwards.
Old 07-29-11, 10:57 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

I used frebreze, 1/3 of the can like chi123 said during last summer. It worked until this spring. Going to see how long this klima cleaner lasts.
Old 07-29-11, 10:58 PM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rza8gamma
I tried this last year and it got the job done, my car smelled like lemons for a short while after but it did a good job the smell went away.
Which vent did you use? Center console, right side?
Old 07-30-11, 12:55 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

its common happens on first blast of cool breeze on mines also... does not go pass that though...
Old 07-30-11, 05:18 AM
armstronga
Rookie

Originally Posted by ddhleigh
Anyone use this lately? I just ordered it off ebay and haven't had the chance to use it yet. Did your application of klima cleaner go smoothly?

How much of the can are you suppose to use??? it does not say in the instructions....
Old 07-30-11, 11:03 AM
ddhleigh
Pole Position

It says to spray until the can is empty.
Old 08-14-11, 06:15 PM
lex326
Rookie

I'm glad to know, somewhat, that this is a common problem. I've had my car a week and get a nice initial blast of gym sock smell when I turn the ignition on. The initial blast is worst, but a small little funk remains and kind of diminishes the enjoyment of this great car. I just ordered a can of that Klima stuff online at Amazon for $15.

I'm hoping I don't do it wrong and make matters worse when applying it on my GS.
Old 08-14-11, 06:23 PM
lex326
Rookie

ps, in the instructions for klima cleaner what does "Adjust fan position to DIRECT" mean?
Old 08-14-11, 06:48 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The local dealership has made up their own cleaning system which could get rid of it. Involves using mist or something. The end result is that your air smells like hospital smell freshness.

Last edited by Sango; 08-15-11 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-15-11, 10:06 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

THE ONLY way to fix this right without taking your dash takes a few weeks. I cant stand the smell of masking odors, so Getting a spray would make the smell worse.

-Its true the smell is created by Mold/Mildue, So how do you get rid of it?

1. Turn your Vents to get fresh air from outside, NOT RECIRCULATE THE AIR... you will get your sweat and any other moisture trapped in the condenser and fan which is no good. Do this for about 3 weeks... Keep an eye on it, as you turn on the AC the default setting is to recycle air... Genius Lexus.

2. When it gets cooler at night, or at least cool enough to manage, turn your HEAT on high, Fresh air, and let it rock on the medium power setting. The heater works really well and will cook any moisture right out of the system!

3. FINALLY after 3 or so weeks of getting rid of this mold and moisture REPLACE YOUR CABIN FILTER, really easy, less then 10 minutes and 20 bucks...

DO THESE three things and in 1 month, CLEAN SMELLING AIR... I have done it and Happy to say NOOOO More smell, even on hot days...

...Remember this next year, dont leave your ac on recycle air for the whole summer. Thats what started this whole problem... Condenser and drainage is just too small.....

Good luck... no one wants to be the smelly kid!
The following users liked this post:
TCoolest2 (03-01-23)

Quick Reply: Bad Smell coming from air conditioning