IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smart key dealer said no programming can be done ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 09:43 PM
saj070
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart key dealer said no programming can be done ?

Hi guys

just bought my lexus 5 days a go used 2009 with 8k miles private seller

he had 1 key fob so i purchase a key fob and a uncut key from ebay.

the numbers matched the original key fob made by denso fcc and id numbers

i took the fob which i purchase from the dealer and the uncut key he tried programming my key with master reset and he said it does not work and also he said the key could not be cut.

i need help were does people buy there spare key which will work ??

i really do not want to spend another $80 to buy another remote and uncut key and take it to the dealer and they said it does not work.

i am looking for people who purchase the spare remote and uncut key were they got it from and how much they paid abd if it was successfull or not.

i was surprise when he said the laptop he was using to program will not accept the used remote i purchase from ebay..

thanks guys
Old 05-15-10, 09:49 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

im pretty sure the remote can only be programed by lexus because of special codes. When i asked my mechanic he said the same thing. i bought a spare key from lexus for 160 or something like that excluding the cut key... so yea your gonna have to lay some money down
Old 05-15-10, 09:53 PM
saj070
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
im pretty sure the remote can only be programed by lexus because of special codes. When i asked my mechanic he said the same thing. i bought a spare key from lexus for 160 or something like that excluding the cut key... so yea your gonna have to lay some money down
i took it to the lexus dealer for programming they told me they could not program the remote. programming was free by the dealership but it did nnot work on the used remote i purchase on ebay and the key he could not cut.

so looking for people who purchase a remote and a key how much they paid and were they purchase it from.

thanks
Old 05-15-10, 10:41 PM
cdeeznuts
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitively. i bought a used key from another CL member from his 06 is350, I had it reprogrammed to my 06 is350. used key is like 50-70 bucks, to tell you that the physical blank key cannot be cut is BS, and to tell you it can't be done is also BS. trust me i went to atleast 2 dealerships telling me i can't reprogram it, i even made them attempt to do it to no avail. so i took it to a locksmith, done, now i have a spare.

please see this thread with the info i posted previously i'm too lazy to retype the whole story.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ss-remote.html
Old 05-16-10, 07:07 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

that's BS.... i went to the toyota master tech in my town and did it for me for $85 bucks... and the TPMS programming $0.... the cutting of keys is also done.... by them.. to perfection

Andre
Old 05-16-10, 08:23 AM
saj070
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cdeeznuts
Definitively. i bought a used key from another CL member from his 06 is350, I had it reprogrammed to my 06 is350. used key is like 50-70 bucks, to tell you that the physical blank key cannot be cut is BS, and to tell you it can't be done is also BS. trust me i went to atleast 2 dealerships telling me i can't reprogram it, i even made them attempt to do it to no avail. so i took it to a locksmith, done, now i have a spare.

please see this thread with the info i posted previously i'm too lazy to retype the whole story.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ss-remote.html
Originally Posted by acefalcon2
that's BS.... i went to the toyota master tech in my town and did it for me for $85 bucks... and the TPMS programming $0.... the cutting of keys is also done.... by them.. to perfection

Andre
Thanks guys i just purchased another key from keys_star $80 let hope this works atleast he said i will refund you full money if it does not work.

I live in Niles IL may be someone knows how to do it ( locksmith or dealerships) programed a used key remote and uncut key. i can take it to them if someone already used them. This way i know i will have a good working remote and cut key.

please let me know this is my first lexus 2009 IS250

thanks for everyone reply
Old 05-16-10, 08:38 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to buy the correct Key for the 09-10' Although they look the same, you need the key to work with 09-10 IS250/350; 06-08 is different. The metal key from a 08+ should work fine though..

I had a recent incident where i got a wallet key for a 08' model but it didnt work for whatever reason, and i had to get it exchanged for a 06-08 model key.

There is a difference! so you need to make sure to get the correct key.
Old 05-17-10, 08:48 AM
saj070
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
You need to buy the correct Key for the 09-10' Although they look the same, you need the key to work with 09-10 IS250/350; 06-08 is different. The metal key from a 08+ should work fine though..

I had a recent incident where i got a wallet key for a 08' model but it didnt work for whatever reason, and i had to get it exchanged for a 06-08 model key.

There is a difference! so you need to make sure to get the correct key.
ok after all said and done spent few extra $$$ and purchase a new fob from Sewell

Part #: 8990450380RK (Ships within 24-48 hours)

atleast i know it will work with my lexus and dealr can't say no...

Last edited by saj070; 05-17-10 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-17-10, 02:18 PM
saj070
Driver School Candidate

ok finally found a coupon code with clublexus discount bought the remote from sewell.

Item Description Unit Price Quantity Line total

$121.84 1 $121.84
Subtotal: $121.84
Tax: $0.00
Ground Delivery: $9.62
Promo "909RK": $(14.01)
Grand Total: $117.45

anyone can use the coupon code Promo "909RK":
Old 05-17-10, 05:56 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Reprogram a used key should work.

Some dealer will give you the run around unless you purchase the Key from them. I call Longo Lexus up, they said they couldn't do it and offer to make me a new key for like $350 program and cut. I call up a master lock smith in my area, he said he could do it. I call up Longo Lexus again explaining to them that it was possible and they talk with the service manager and said they are able to do it for $150 program only.

I end up getting it done at the Locksmith with the key cut for about 100 bucks, which was cheaper than the dealership. My total cost was like 150, parts and labor for a spare key.
Old 05-17-10, 06:42 PM
saj070
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Initial_K

Some dealer will give you the run around unless you purchase the Key from them. I call Longo Lexus up, they said they couldn't do it and offer to make me a new key for like $350 program and cut. I call up a master lock smith in my area, he said he could do it. I call up Longo Lexus again explaining to them that it was possible and they talk with the service manager and said they are able to do it for $150 program only.

I end up getting it done at the Locksmith with the key cut for about 100 bucks, which was cheaper than the dealership. My total cost was like 150, parts and labor for a spare key.
Thanks for the info

my dealership will program the key for free it takes less than 5 min so i thought well let me get a new remote and buy the master key from the dealer $40 and they will cut it and program it it total cost

$117 +$40 free program & cut so i guess we are pretty close.

yes i know they can do it lexuse service guys are to lazy to do it cause it takes longer to clear out the Master ECu from what i cen tell.

I really do not want the run around i can live with new remote new cut key program for $160 final cost.

if my original purchase from ebay would have worked then it would be only $35 for used remote and $15 for after market key free program and cut..

i guess sometimes you win sometime you lose...

$28k investment on a new lexus IS250 then $160 is nothing right lol ....
Old 06-15-10, 10:43 PM
cfm702
Driver School Candidate

Initial_K, can you give me the info for the locksmith that you used? I also called Longo Lexus, and they said they can't reprogram my used key fob. If it's in the same area as Longo Lexus, that would be really helpful!

Originally Posted by Initial_K

Old 07-14-10, 11:30 AM
dwaynek
Driver School Candidate

Default Default Smart key dealer said no programming can be done ?

All,

I purchased 3 used FOBS from ebay and was told the same thing by 3 lexus dealerships. I purchased the shanks from Sewell Lexus for @35/ea and bought the toyota/Lexus Smart Key Programmer and initialized/reset the ECU to accept the used FOBS with success. My costs are below.

2 - Lexus smart keys from ebay - $60.00

1 - Lexus Smart Key from ebay - $85.00 (Didn't look around when I bought this one. Way to expensive)

1 - Toyota/Lexus Smart Key Programmer - $42.00

This saved me a lot of money and now I have 4 smart keys.
Old 07-14-10, 12:05 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

^ What year is your car? Certain year models correspond to different part #s for key fobs..
Old 07-22-10, 01:50 PM
84GTS
Driver School Candidate

Any one was succesfull in using $40 Lexus / Toyota Smart Key programmer to perform a master reset with used key fobs on 2006 Is250 or similar cars with push button start systems? The instructions that go with these key programmers are not well written, so it is not clear if it is going to work for a master reset procedure aka "all keys are lost" scenario.

Quick Reply: Smart key dealer said no programming can be done ?