IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Calling all light experts and those who had retrofit their headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 07:53 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad headlights retrofit project**updated with some WIP pics**

okay so i was planning on retrofitting my headlight with a pair of s2k projectors. i just receive the projectors today and when i was testing them out with a friend of mine he suggested that i quad my headlight since retrofitting my oem projectors might be a little hard since i needed figure out how to make the s2k projectors fit. he suggest that i cut a hole in my reflectors(where the hight beam bulb is) and attach "legs" into the s2k projectors and sit it there then cover everything with a shroud. the question i would like to ask is:

1) we're planning on running the second ballast with the 1st one(for the low beam) so that both would go on when i turn my lights on. the thing i wanted to know is there gonna any problem with this setup? will 3 hid's kit drain my battery to much?

2) can someone photoshop a pics of a IS with projectors where the highbeam used to be.

will update with more questions as they come up

Last edited by aznpapaya; 06-16-10 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 07:59 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Projector high beams would be sick!!
Old 03-17-10, 08:12 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Projector high beams would be sick!!
actually it's not projector high beam, its 2 projectors low beam
Old 03-17-10, 08:17 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

if everything goes as plan it should look something like this

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...highlight=quad
Old 03-17-10, 08:25 PM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

bro...the link doesn't work. and are you talkin about the LS hybrid look?
Old 03-17-10, 08:38 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by aznpapaya
actually it's not projector high beam, its 2 projectors low beam
Oh i see... well, I guess thats cool also
Old 03-17-10, 08:40 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by niteLEX
bro...the link doesn't work. and are you talkin about the LS hybrid look?
i just tried the link and it does work but here's another

yeah something like the ls look but instead both projectors are for the low beam, i'm getting rid of the high beam. i currently have an led buld for the highbeam so im used to not having a high beam. but if i have 2 low beam it would be much brighter so it will make up for not having a high beam.
Old 03-17-10, 08:41 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

i just tried the link and it does work but here's another

yeah something like the ls look but instead both projectors are for the low beam, i'm getting rid of the high beam. i currently have an led buld for the highbeam so im used to not having a high beam. but if i have 2 low beam it would be much brighter so it will make up for not having a high beam.
Link doesnt work because you need to be registered in order to see it ...
Old 03-17-10, 09:51 PM
9relude8
Pole Position

s2000 projectors are so nice... prob one of the best projectors, gives the cleanest cut off. Go for it!
Old 03-17-10, 10:35 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ok, s2k... awesome!

so what do u plan to use for bi-xenon? Looks like TL might fit. i got LS430 bi-xenon modded in my truck.
Old 03-17-10, 10:49 PM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you have the proper wire harness you shouldn't experience any battery problems. The s2k do fit in our headlights, it is pretty much the same size as my SC430s. All I did was mount it a little more forward so that I have clearance in the back so that I can still stick my hand in there and change the bulb. Personally I wouldn't bother with the quad, the S2k is enough light and if you run it with a 55w ballast then it would be more than enough. Plus, it will be a pain to level out and aim it because you can't adjust the high beam reflector.
Old 03-17-10, 11:55 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Link doesnt work because you need to be registered in order to see it ...
since there's problem viewing the webpage here's some pics

Originally Posted by 9relude8
s2000 projectors are so nice... prob one of the best projectors, gives the cleanest cut off. Go for it!
thats why i spent so much time looking for one, hopefully this project turn out good

Originally Posted by istundra
ok, s2k... awesome!

so what do u plan to use for bi-xenon? Looks like TL might fit. i got LS430 bi-xenon modded in my truck.
i dont have bi-xenon, since i dont have the luxury package. so bi-xenion shouldn't be a problem for me, thank goodnest, i have enough problem to worry bout already.

Originally Posted by Tchan1
As long as you have the proper wire harness you shouldn't experience any battery problems. The s2k do fit in our headlights, it is pretty much the same size as my SC430s. All I did was mount it a little more forward so that I have clearance in the back so that I can still stick my hand in there and change the bulb. Personally I wouldn't bother with the quad, the S2k is enough light and if you run it with a 55w ballast then it would be more than enough. Plus, it will be a pain to level out and aim it because you can't adjust the high beam reflector.
thats what i was thinking too, but my friend told me that it would a lot of work to get the s2k projectors to fit the oem projectors. plus i think quad would be nice since its twice the brightness and it look much cooler. also though it is going to hard to adjust the aim, but if i can i pull it off i can color mod both projectors to get more colors while not having to worry bout losing to much intensity. also if i switch to a 55w ballast wouldn't it being to hot and might burn/melt some of the wires/housing?

Last edited by aznpapaya; 03-18-10 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-18-10, 10:49 AM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

55w will burn/melt your projectors if you are using kit bulbs. As long as you use OEM bulbs such as philips or osram it should only be about around 7-10 degrees difference. I have been running 55 watts with 85122 d2s bulbs for about a year now and no probs at all. EL LY is also running 55 watts too.

It was pretty easy getting the projectors in once I figured out what to do. It was also my first retrofit ever too. I used L- brackets to mount them in the headlights.
Old 03-18-10, 02:06 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tchan1
55w will burn/melt your projectors if you are using kit bulbs. As long as you use OEM bulbs such as philips or osram it should only be about around 7-10 degrees difference. I have been running 55 watts with 85122 d2s bulbs for about a year now and no probs at all. EL LY is also running 55 watts too.

It was pretty easy getting the projectors in once I figured out what to do. It was also my first retrofit ever too. I used L- brackets to mount them in the headlights.
the thing is that i'm not planning on using OEM bulbs since i wanted more color so i'm going with a higher K. you dont happen to have any pics/diy do you? i know that if i can tinker with the headlight i can make it fit but i just dont have an extra set of headlight plus my IS is a daily driver so i cant have it down for more then a day.
Old 03-18-10, 03:07 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay so i was planning on retrofitting my headlight with a pair of s2k projectors. i just receive the projectors today and when i was testing them out with a friend of mine he suggested that i quad my headlight since retrofitting my oem projectors might be a little hard since i needed figure out how to make the s2k projectors fit. he suggest that i cut a hole in my reflectors (where the hight beam bulb is) and attach "legs" into the s2k projectors and sit it there then cover everything with a shroud. the question i would like to ask is:

1) we're planning on running the second ballast with the 1st one(for the low beam) so that both would go on when i turn my lights on. the thing i wanted to know is there gonna any problem with this setup? will 3 hid's kit drain my battery to much?
From what I get reading this for the third time is that you aren't going to have a high beam anymore is this correct?

I would rip out the IS low beam as it is worthless, and find a way to place the S2K projector in that space.

Regarding the increased draw on your car, I would suggest running another harness with an independent 40amp relay direct to your battery so you don't over exert your low beam power wires.

I've seen you posting and asking questions over on HID Planet, that's a good idea. But before you have a friend persuade you to go the quad route, please ask more questions, and consider the options you have with the space in your low beams.

-Jimmy

Quick Reply: Calling all light experts and those who had retrofit their headlights