IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

6000K Garax Lows & 6000K PROJECTOR Fogs (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 08:58 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 6000K Garax Lows & 6000K PROJECTOR Fogs (Pics)

w00t, my headlights and fogs are finally matching! Thanks go out to Tchan1 for doing the projector fog retrofit and installation. Feel free to PM him if you're interested in the projector fogs. Here's my current lighting setup:

Lows: Garax 6000K D4S bulbs with the OEM AFS HIDs.
Fogs: DDM Tuning H3 HID kit with mini Bosch projectors (custom setup)
Highs: Silverstar Ultra 9005 bulbs
Parking Lights: V-LED 6K 5 SMT bulbs

Tchan1's DIY: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ro-teaser.html

Another Tchan1 thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ly-done-2.html

E LLY's DIY: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tor-retro.html

Pics:

Flicker!

High beams on, fogs off:

High beams on, fogs off:

Last edited by brociouz; 03-21-10 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-08-10, 09:01 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks Sick Bro! haha i did the same thing 6000k is the way to go
Old 03-08-10, 09:05 PM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 126 Likes on 46 Posts

nice, curious how much this cost?
Old 03-08-10, 09:30 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice! i want some projector fogs too
Old 03-08-10, 09:54 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice fogs bro! love it i gave up on matching too hard.
Old 03-08-10, 10:06 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
Looks Sick Bro! haha i did the same thing 6000k is the way to go
Yeah, I'm loving the 6000K color. After parking my car in the garage for my apartment complex, someone came up to me just to compliment me on the matching lows and fogs.

Originally Posted by Phresh2010
nice, curious how much this cost?
Well the Garax bulbs were about $90 off eBay, the Silverstar Ultra 9005s were $50 or so, and the V-LED Parking Lights were like $10 as I recall. You'll have to PM Tchan1 for pricing on the projector retrofit (but it's certainly cheaper than the JDM projector fogs )

Originally Posted by alan003
nice! i want some projector fogs too
Thanks!

Originally Posted by iialcii
nice fogs bro! love it i gave up on matching too hard.
Thank you. I think this is about as close as it gets. I think I understand why people go with yellow fogs now. The whole JDM look is merely an excuse, they just don't want to deal with trying to match!
Old 03-08-10, 11:22 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice, so do you regret getting the Garax? I wonder what the difference is between in 8k, from the picture it looks pretty blue but it's just the camera.
Old 03-09-10, 06:14 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the output of those fogs? I honestly thought of sticking a nice low beam projector in there so the output would be nuts. But no time yet.
Old 03-09-10, 08:21 AM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Nice fog retrofit. Looks awesome.
Old 03-09-10, 08:53 AM
Tchan1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
How's the output of those fogs? I honestly thought of sticking a nice low beam projector in there so the output would be nuts. But no time yet.
I think that it would a little overkill with too much foreground lighting and you won't be able to see as far, and it might just drown out the OEM projector headlights. The stock HID projectors aren't really that great to begin with, I would worry about changing that out instead or just modify it. So the mini's are a good match because it won't outperform the OEM projectors.
Old 03-09-10, 08:57 AM
dembou
Rookie

Great lighting Brociouz, I would like that look too but I am a little confused, some help would be appreciated.

I already have the Garax 6000k for the low beams. I want to change the yellowish light that is next to the low beams and turns on when the parking brake is released, which I beleive it's the daytime running light (DRL) and also serves as the high beam. <-- Is that right and what number is it?

I would also like to know which one is the parking light, when does it turn on and what number is it.

I'm interested in those two for now, the fogs later.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-10, 09:34 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by Sytfu_IS
Looks nice, so do you regret getting the Garax? I wonder what the difference is between in 8k, from the picture it looks pretty blue but it's just the camera.
Nope, not at all. I really like the color - and the output isn't degraded much. If anything, I think the reduced visibility is more a result of the color contrast (yellow creates a better contrasts), as opposed to less lumens. Are you going to the cruise meet on March 20? We can compare lights then if so. And you're right, the camera makes it look bluer. It's more like white with a hint of blue.

The output is good. Really lights up the foreground and edges, which will allow me to aim my low beams up a little bit for increased range as well.

Originally Posted by dappy
Nice fog retrofit. Looks awesome.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tchan1
I think that it would a little overkill with too much foreground lighting and you won't be able to see as far, and it might just drown out the OEM projector headlights. The stock HID projectors aren't really that great to begin with, I would worry about changing that out instead or just modify it. So the mini's are a good match because it won't outperform the OEM projectors.
+1

Originally Posted by dembou
Great lighting Brociouz, I would like that look too but I am a little confused, some help would be appreciated.

I already have the Garax 6000k for the low beams. I want to change the yellowish light that is next to the low beams and turns on when the parking brake is released, which I beleive it's the daytime running light (DRL) and also serves as the high beam. <-- Is that right and what number is it?

I would also like to know which one is the parking light, when does it turn on and what number is it.

I'm interested in those two for now, the fogs later.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks. Yes, the DRL/high beams are one in the same - 9005 bulbs. The bulbs run at 50% when in DRL mode, making them more yellow. If you want a nicer color for your DRLs, you can get a kit from V-LED that replaces the 9005s with LEDs; however, you will effectively lose high beam functionality. I just went with Silverstar Ultras because I wanted to keep my high beams. If the yellow really bothers you, you can also have the dealer turn them off, allowing you to retain your high beams.

The parking lights are on in any setting other than all Off (Off-Parking Lights-On-Auto). I suggest this to match your 6000K bulbs: http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...81039-1-2.html
Old 03-09-10, 09:40 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Updated the first post with DIY links.
Old 03-09-10, 10:57 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tchan1
I want to do both
Old 03-09-10, 11:03 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

I want to do both
I would like to see that. Throw in the Junack fog LED inserts too. People will think the sun is rising when you pull up behind them.

Quick Reply: 6000K Garax Lows & 6000K PROJECTOR Fogs (Pics)