Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

FlyAudio In-Dash Multimedia GPS Navigation System for Lexus IS250/350

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 09:21 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AHHH!! The dreaded dashboard mutilation around the vents from trying to remove them by prying against the dashboard.

Please.. everyone.. DON'T MAKE THIS SAME MISTAKE! DO NOT TRY AND PRY YOUR VENTS OUT AGAINST THE DASHBOARD!

Grip the center of the vents and wiggle out. I don't care how gentle you are, if you try and pry them out you will mess up your dash. It's softer than you think!!

There should be a sticky about this.. I swear..

Originally Posted by SNORTH350
[/IMG]
Yes, I did it too. I want to punch myself in the throat every time I get in the car now.
Old 11-27-12, 09:26 AM
SNORTH350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmacks
AHHH!! The dreaded dashboard mutilation around the vents from trying to remove them by prying against the dashboard.

Please.. everyone.. DON'T MAKE THIS SAME MISTAKE! DO NOT TRY AND PRY YOUR VENTS OUT AGAINST THE DASHBOARD!

Grip the center of the vents and wiggle out. I don't care how gentle you are, if you try and pry them out you will mess up your dash. It's softer than you think!!

There should be a sticky about this.. I swear..

Yes, I did it too. I want to punch myself in the throat every time I get in the car now.
Are you talking about those two little notches? The center one has always been there, I thought it was a center point marker because its almost a perfect little V. I dont really notice them much! I have heard about worse though!
Old 11-27-12, 11:58 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about those two little notches? The center one has always been there, I thought it was a center point marker because its almost a perfect little V. I dont really notice them much! I have heard about worse though!

Yeah.. that's them. I see so many pics now especially in this thread with them. I've got two little baby notches out of mine that drive me crazy every time I get in the car. I was so, so gentle, too. No matter.. it still messed up my dash. In the end, a nice little grip in the center of the vents does the trick just fine without have to stick anything around the edges.
Old 11-30-12, 11:20 AM
Guccimane
Driver School Candidate

Whats different FA 1 gen and FA 2 gen? Who can help and tell me about it? Thanks
Old 12-12-12, 04:06 PM
2jzism
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guccimane
Whats different FA 1 gen and FA 2 gen? Who can help and tell me about it? Thanks
The FA1 are the first gen and the FA2 is the second gen. there is ZERO support for the 1st gen systems, with the 2nd gen units all the bugs where fixed via a new wire harness and software updates. At least with the 2nd gen systems you have the latest and full support.
Old 12-12-12, 04:10 PM
2jzism
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres a another photo!
Every time I see a dash empty like this I just can help to think how much we pay for these cars and how they are put together.
Old 12-17-12, 08:56 PM
gaccord32
Driver School Candidate

Does this unit have bluetooth audioo streaming? If not is there an addon for it?
Old 12-17-12, 09:04 PM
scorpionge
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check on eBay man... very nice
Old 12-17-12, 10:12 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gaccord32
Does this unit have bluetooth audioo streaming? If not is there an addon for it?
My second gen unit didn't have bluetooth streaming capability, but you should be able to find addons to connect to the AUX input of the unit (not the one in the armrest).
Old 12-18-12, 12:11 PM
SNORTH350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gaccord32
No man, my unit does not have Bluetooth Audio streaming! I wish it did, the only problem I have with the unit is that the Ipod cord provided is not long enough! They wired mine under the shifter and into my center console, which means my iPhone must ride in the console! Other than that the unit is flawless as of right now!!!!
Old 12-30-12, 05:02 PM
Thornhawk
Driver School Candidate

Hello CL members. I purchased a 2008 IS250 AWD in early Nov. 2012. I wanted an IS with navigation, but could not pass up the low mileage and great condition of my car. After purchasing the car I joined the CL forum and read all 150 pages of the Flyaudio thread. Based on this thread I purchased the Flyaudio system in late Nov. Here are my opinions:

Buy your unit from David at carlighttrends.com. The price was great, service was outstanding, and David has really been great responding to all my questions. Can't say enough about the outstanding service.

After reading the thread I decided to have a Flyaudio retailer install my unit. I wanted someone experienced with the system and it just seemed to me that most issues people experienced was a first time installation where something may not have been plugged in correctly. I went on Flyaudio's website and chose the closests retailer to me which was Safe Systems in Parma, OH. Tim at Safe Systems was great. Although he could not locate a second generation Flyaudio system he was still willing to install. He only charged me $75 to install and the installation was flawless.

He are the pros to the system.
1. Has the OEM look
2. Navigation works without issue and is accurate. I am not experiencing any freezing, locking, or slow issues.
3. Plays my Ipod, I can play by list, artist, etc, and I can control through the steering wheel.
4. Plays DVDs without issue.
5. Radio is crisp whether in AM or FM
6. CD works without issue
7. Had to change C to F through the TPMS. Still need to upload update temp settings.
8. Bluetooth is perfect.

The cons:
1. The gray plastic around the unit is slightly lighter than stock. Not that noticable, but can tell if you look for it.
2. For some reason buttons 5 and 6 on radio presets freeze, but after a short period finally keep the station you wanted.
3. Having to upload temp update.
4. Having to go into the climate menu to change fan speed etc.
5. No clock in OEM location. Has a clock on menu or navi map, but disappears when navigation is running. Small complaint, but you would think for the extra $0.05 they could add a clock.

I have operated the system for a month now and have had no issues other than the minor ones listed in the cons. If you are hesitating in ordering this system than wait no longer. Order the system! I would suggest two things....get an experienced person to install, it is worth it, and try not to customize the system. Use it what it was intended to do. Just my opinion and hopefully the system continues to run as designed. If anyone has any questions on how the system is operating let me know and I will try to answer.
Old 12-30-12, 07:07 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Thornhawk

1. The gray plastic around the unit is slightly lighter than stock. Not that noticable, but can tell if you look for it.
This is interesting. Mine matched perfectly. Is your IS 2009+ model?

The OEM navigation is the same. FlyAudio copied the same layout as the OEM.

5. No clock in OEM location. Has a clock on menu or navi map, but disappears when navigation is running. Small complaint, but you would think for the extra $0.05 they could add a clock.
I had the same complaint, but if you run iGo 8 or Primo (any version), then you can make it display the clock on the screen. That's what I did and kinda looked better than the OEM clock in my opinion. But, I agree they should have included the clock!
Old 12-31-12, 10:23 AM
Thornhawk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NimaM
This is interesting. Mine matched perfectly. Is your IS 2009+ model?

NimaM - It is a 2008 model.

The OEM navigation is the same. FlyAudio copied the same layout as the OEM.

Thanks for the info on this. Feels weird that I have to go to the touch screen to change items for climate control.

I had the same complaint, but if you run iGo 8 or Primo (any version), then you can make it display the clock on the screen. That's what I did and kinda looked better than the OEM clock in my opinion. But, I agree they should have included the clock!
I am not sure which navigation system I am running. Is there a way to find out? From previous post descriptions I think my system came with iGo 8 because of some building descriptions on the screen and I was able to get the clock to appear on the navigation. However, it does not appear on the radio, ipod, or work while the navigation is running.
Old 12-31-12, 10:39 AM
Thornhawk
Driver School Candidate

I forgot a couple of items on my original review of the flyaudio system.

I wanted to thank all of the people that bought the 1st generation. You were the pioneers for this system and wanted to thank you for sharing your issues and pushing Flyaudio to update the system.

Also thanks to all the early 2nd generation buyers for working through the issues and sharing experiences. All of you have helped to make the Flyaudio system work really well. It is not perfect, but pretty close.

Here are some updates to th pros and cons.

The Pros
1. Has the OEM look
2. Navigation works without issue and is accurate. I am not experiencing any freezing, locking, or slow issues.
3. Plays my Ipod, I can play by list, artist, etc, and I can control through the steering wheel.
4. Plays DVDs without issue.
5. Radio is crisp whether in AM or FM
6. CD works without issue
7. Had to change C to F through the TPMS. Still need to upload update temp settings.
8. Bluetooth is perfect.

The cons:
2. For some reason buttons 5 and 6 on radio presets freeze, but after a short period finally keep the station you wanted.
3. Having to upload temp update.
6. When searching for a street in navigation mode the system takes quite a bit of time before you can start typing in a street name. It does not freeze, but does take some time before you can enter the street.
Old 12-31-12, 05:11 PM
NimaM
Lead Lap

I am not sure which navigation system I am running. Is there a way to find out? From previous post descriptions I think my system came with iGo 8 because of some building descriptions on the screen and I was able to get the clock to appear on the navigation. However, it does not appear on the radio, ipod, or work while the navigation is running.
Yeah, you won't be able to add the clock to ipod, radio, etc menus.

Quick Reply: FlyAudio In-Dash Multimedia GPS Navigation System for Lexus IS250/350