IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP! My IS 250 has sprung a leak!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 11:36 AM
rc707
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! My IS 250 has sprung a leak!?!?!?

2006 IS 250 has wet floor boards passnager side front and back.
What has happened?
Is this a reoccuring problem with the other owners?
What is causing this?
What can I do to fix it?
Or how much is this going to cost me?
Old 06-12-09, 11:38 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it under warranty? Take it to the dealer.

If it affects both the front and rear right passenger areas, it may be a leak on the weather lining of the passenger side door(s).
Old 06-12-09, 11:47 AM
rc707
Driver School Candidate

Out of warranty and not coming through the doors, something internal
Old 06-12-09, 11:56 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ out of warranty? ohh maybe by miles.

anyway, FWIW I'm no tech but with other cars in the past when I've seen water in that location its been because the A/C drain was plugged up and the water was coming in the car not going out the bottom. It worth checking out as it would be easy to check and fix if true.

Good Luck
Old 06-12-09, 12:31 PM
rc707
Driver School Candidate

That sounds more like it.
I know the A/C drain plug comes out behind the passanger side front wheel.
Is it as easy as running something up the hose to clear the plug? Or is it going to require some disassembly?
Old 06-12-09, 06:50 PM
huskies
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check the sunroof. It drains on that side.
Old 06-12-09, 08:58 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
^^ out of warranty? ohh maybe by miles.

anyway, FWIW I'm no tech but with other cars in the past when I've seen water in that location its been because the A/C drain was plugged up and the water was coming in the car not going out the bottom. It worth checking out as it would be easy to check and fix if true.

Good Luck

Seen the same thing on a couple previous vehicles, ac draining back into car under carpet... in one case it was that the drain tube had just fallen off, solution involved some rubber hose and zip ties...hopefully ours is a little better engineered though and it's just plugged
Old 06-13-09, 09:17 AM
rc707
Driver School Candidate

I've had 2 different dealerships tell me 2 different locations of the drain tube for the A/C under the car.
1) Its behind the front passengers tire along the fire wall.
2) Its under the car around the transmission but very hard to get to.

Where is it? I was under the car for about an hour yesterday looking for the drain hole to no avail. My floor boards are soaked and dripping out in several locations farther back around the catalytic converters.

Someone please help.
Old 06-13-09, 01:57 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem in my 06 IS350 and had it fix under warranty. They also replaced the carpet. I believe it is the evaporator housing is cracked and they have to replace the whole thing. I am not sure it is a TSB but it is common on the 06.
Old 06-13-09, 01:58 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some threads about this and one of the membes I believe is a mechanic and he explained it better.
Old 06-14-09, 04:40 PM
rc707
Driver School Candidate

I'm off to the dealership next week. Just noticed today that drivers window controls will only roll itself up and down, in order to work the other windows they have to be activated at their individual stations. Hope these problems aren't connected or a warning of things to come. I'll post what happened and what the cost was when they revive me.
Old 06-14-09, 04:48 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rc707
I'm off to the dealership next week. Just noticed today that drivers window controls will only roll itself up and down, in order to work the other windows they have to be activated at their individual stations. Hope these problems aren't connected or a warning of things to come. I'll post what happened and what the cost was when they revive me.
That happens on any pre-09 anytime the battery is disconnected. How to reset it is in your owners manual.
Old 06-16-09, 05:54 PM
rc707
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the in site Kurtz.

Just a little more to add:
Found out from the dealership today the sunroof drain lines were plugged as well as the condensing unit in the dash. I'm being told the only way to correct the issue with the condening unit is to pull the dash. I'm to pick the car up late Thursday and the bill is $842.39. OUCH!!!!
I'll add more later
Old 06-29-09, 09:59 AM
Spinmaster
Driver School Candidate

Default IS 250 and IS 350 Air Conditioner Drain Leak

I have an early 2006 IS 250 which has suddenly developed a massive air conditioner drain leak at 51,000 miles. I have discovered that Lexus has issued a service bulletin calling for replacement of the air conditioner drains in these cars due to a defective design. The new drain has been redesigned so it does not obstruct as easily.

When the drain leaks it saturates the interior carpets which will quickly mildew and ruin the interior of the car. This is a major problem which costs thousands of dollars to repair.

I took my car in at 49,000 miles to make sure that all of the warranty work was done and all recall items were fixed. Nothing was mentioned about the problem they were experiencing with the air conditioner drains even though they have known for some time that the design of the drain is defective.

I have asked the dealer to correct the problem under warranty and am awaiting a reply. The dealer advised me that they have had to replace the drain and carpets in at least 6 vehicles with the same problem. I was told that there is no recall on the problem even though there should be.

I would strongly recommend that anyone with an IS 250 or IS 350 Lexus take the vehicle in before 50,000 miles and complain about the drain so they cannot deny coverage under the warranty when the drain fails.
Old 07-05-09, 06:09 PM
rxpvic
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone tell me were to find the drain line that is leaking, my floor is completely saturated. I want to at least try to stop the leak and then Ill try to clean the carpets, My lexus is an 06 is250 out of warranty, Any help would be good, Thanks

Quick Reply: HELP! My IS 250 has sprung a leak!?!?!?