HID DIY Pros please help with my install questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 02:53 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID DIY Pros please help with my install questions

Hello all.
I think I know what I am doing with this install, but would like to confirm with you guys before I set about doing it.

I purchased a kit with a relay harness. After making the connections to the battery and one of the stock lighting harnesses, I connect one of the relay harness's connectors to the ballast as pictured by number 3 on my lovely microsoft paint picture.

My question is: Can I pull out the wiring denoted by #2 and #1 from the grommet? I believe that the spade connectors on #2 connect to your stock lighting harness when a relay harness is not being used to give power to the ballast. However, since I have a relay harness and I draw power directly from the battery, can I just pull out this entire part? I do not want to clutter up the headlamp assembly with unused connectors and such.

The terrible instructions from the kit tell me to drill TWO HOLES in the dust cover. What?

I thought the relay directly plugs into the ballast denoted by 3 on the first picture. Why would they tell me to drill another hole to push part of the relay kit through? What purpose does that serve?

As I have more questions tonight, I will ask you guys. I am not a DIY novice, but I do not consider myself to be particularly seasoned.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails HID DIY Pros please help with my install questions-edited82.jpg  
Old 06-30-08, 03:16 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The diagram is good and often not included in aftermarket kits. Definitly make sure to caulk both the rubber grommet at base of dust cover and the harness twine leading into the dust cover and you should be fine. Never drive without the dust covers on for any amount of time as moisture will almost always result. PM me with any concerns.
Old 06-30-08, 03:25 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 plugs into the ballast and 2 plugs in the OEM harness.
Old 06-30-08, 04:21 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

You actually don't need the relay harness. All the HID's we've run on all cars through my friends and I don't require it. Basically the wires are idiot proof. If they fit perfectly, it's right.

You won't need to drill two holes. Just drill ONE hole enough to fit the wires through and use the little circle cover to cover the hole on the outside. In the inside, unplug the old bulb and use where you connect the bulb to wire up the wires inside. Plug in the new bulb into the socket. Close it up, make sure the hole is covered up nicely and you're all set Of course then you have to go and mount the ballast somewhere but you can read our DIY FAQ guide for places or find your own Good luck!
Old 06-30-08, 06:05 PM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

hey all
thanks for the responses

However, it appears as if you guys aren't understanding my question.

iSuxeL, I understand how 1 and 2 work. However, my question is, if i'm using a RELAY harness, can I remove 1 and 2 from the equation completely since power will be provided by the battery directly?

Again, what does drilling a hole for the relay accomplish? What would I put in there?
Old 06-30-08, 10:10 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

From the photo of the kit you posted, you do not have a relay kit. You wll not need to drill a second hole because of that. If you didn't take a picture of the relay kit then maybe that's why.

Fact is you do NOT need the relay kit. The relay is only needed should your HID not be powering correctly. You'll know if it's not working by:

1) If you install the kit correctly and one of the lights don't turn on but the other does or,

2) Both lights turn on but your high beams do not work.

So far from my knowledge, no IS has this problem. It's usually much older cars that have this problem due to older, less efficient wires. Just install WITHOUT relay and see. Have a local friend with HID experience help you. You should be able to hook everything up together in 10 minutes. Just don't plug the bulb in yet. Hold the bulbs and see if they both work. If they do work, then plug it in and set up the ballast locations.
Old 07-01-08, 09:35 AM
ELL Y
Lexus Test Driver

I decided to install without the relay kit
Finally got everything hooked up

CHECK VSC and CEL are on...I hope it resolves itself. My MAF sensor is in quite tightly. Any ideas guys?

Pictures tonight.

PS.

NEVER ORDER FROM MOD-EXPRESS.COM
THEIR H11 BULBS DO NOT FIT WITHOUT HEAVY MODIFICATION.

Seriously...how retarded is it when you find yourself sanding so close to the bulb because the manufacturer can't make it properly?

The bulb says H11 too, but I don't know where they got it. Perhaps I should have gotten a xenondepot kit. This 150$ mod-express kit looked cheaper than my friend's 70$ ebay kit.
Old 07-01-08, 09:51 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Did you remove the intake box and/or pipe? Chances are because you removed it, the VSC/CEL's will come on. Our system doesn't check on start up but instead checks on a timer so after driving for awhile, it should turn off. If it doesn't, make sure you check everything you took apart is put on tightly. It's a common problem.

All aftermarket parts have a chance of not fitting. I'm about to buy a $21 kit off ebay for my highlander for fun. Basically to see if there's really a difference from a $21 kit and a $250 kit
Old 07-01-08, 10:26 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a mod express kit before, and it works like a charm and had no trouble fitting the bulb....maybe just a bad experience..?? lol