IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS 350 Tires

Old 08-11-11, 03:59 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
Do you have a 250 or 350? Also curious if you have 17 or 18" wheels, RWD or AWD.

I'm guessing I would eat through tires faster with a 350. My prior car seemed to find me driving more aggressively unless I made a conscious effort not to. The 250 has done a better job of keeping me free of speeding tickets, using less gas, less rock dings on the hood and lower tire usage, knock on wood.
I had hoped by my username everyone would know! LOL Definitely a '06 RWD 350 with sports pkg...meaning 18s with the "lower" OE suspension. Yeah, I'll not be hitting anywhere near 30k on these KDWs. I'm too aggressive with my cornering and accel. Plus some minor burnouts to remove water/debris at the drag strip doesn't help either!
Old 08-12-11, 10:06 AM
MBTC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gville350
I had hoped by my username everyone would know! LOL Definitely a '06 RWD 350 with sports pkg...meaning 18s with the "lower" OE suspension. Yeah, I'll not be hitting anywhere near 30k on these KDWs. I'm too aggressive with my cornering and accel. Plus some minor burnouts to remove water/debris at the drag strip doesn't help either!
I figured you probably had a 350 from your name, but didn't want to make any assumptions (in my line of work, the cost of an error resulting from an incorrect assumption far outweighs the benefits of a serendipitously accurate one) Then I also realized that tire size and AWD/RWD probably affects your tire wear more than the engine and was curious about that.

But, wow, you drove aggressively and still got 30k out of the originals? Were these Bridgestone Turanza RE33s?
Old 08-12-11, 10:29 AM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by MBTC
But, wow, you drove aggressively and still got 30k out of the originals? Were these Bridgestone Turanza RE33s?
Oh no, I purchased my '06 350 in April '11 with 31k on the clock with the original Dunlops (240 treadwear) on it. STILL had some life in a couple of the tires...but not enough for me!

Now have the BFG KDWs (320 treadwear) and I expect about 20-22k on them with the way I drive. LOL!
Old 08-12-11, 12:58 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I got a little over 30K on my factory Bridgestones in the rear, although the fronts only lasted about 15K due to uneven wear from bad toe settings. I drive fairly aggressively IMO.

Incidentally, I replaced the bridgestones with RE960AS+'s in the rear, and while those had great reviews and should in theory last even longer than the factory tires, they seem to be wearing out more quickly...
Old 08-12-11, 01:29 PM
new.era.13
Lexus Test Driver

i only paid 760 for a brand new set of continental DWS, mounted, balance and alignment.
Old 08-12-11, 07:51 PM
MBTC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Yeah, I got a little over 30K on my factory Bridgestones in the rear, although the fronts only lasted about 15K due to uneven wear from bad toe settings. I drive fairly aggressively IMO.

Incidentally, I replaced the bridgestones with RE960AS+'s in the rear, and while those had great reviews and should in theory last even longer than the factory tires, they seem to be wearing out more quickly...
My fronts are wearing unevenly (outer edge scrape), and this was the same pattern I saw on the loaner with same mileage, so its probably par for the course, but I'm not going to screw with it because I saw same on my last car, and dealt with alignment shops (that are conveniently also tire shops.... go figure... slight conflict of interest there) that said they could do better, but ended up taking my money for "better alignment" and leaving me with the same end result over time. At the rate I'm going I will get 25k at least from the fronts, and replacing just those 2 is fairly cheap. The rear tires at 15k look like when I picked the car up new last year, barely any wear.

You're probably doing not too bad if you're getting 30k on the rear with aggressive driving. My last car was a Maxima which had a lot of low end torque with no traction control, and the temptation to goose it now and then and spin the front wheels was too great (yeah, I know, front wheel drive but still a fast car). I'd suspect the rear wheels in a 350 are subjected to similar torture for those that tend to run with traction control off (maybe even with it on).

Either way I think I'm probably looking at 25-30k on the fronts before a change and 50-60k on rear tires before a change, and at the rate I've been driving (14k per year), it's working out to be economical compared to my last car, with regard to tires.

Anybody tried tiremonkey.com? Supposedly you order online like tirerack and they ship directly to an installer near you for pre-agreed price. Haven't tried it yet but was considering it when the time comes.
Old 09-27-11, 01:50 PM
dudeB9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone tried Yokohama AVID ENVigor?

I am looking for new tire for my IS350.has anyone tried Yokohama AVID ENVigor? How is the quality?
Old 09-27-11, 02:46 PM
p0lo8
Pole Position

My front tires are worn out on the sides (outer part). The guy in discount tire said that thats how these cars are built. I was thinking alignment would help but he told me that it won't make much of a difference. Is that true?
Old 09-27-11, 03:06 PM
dudeB9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mong
Summer tires.
Compare to A/S, summer tires have shorter treadlife?
Old 09-28-11, 07:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeB9
Compare to A/S, summer tires have shorter treadlife?
Generally, yes... but significantly better handling and braking.
Old 03-31-14, 10:15 AM
CubanIS350
Driver School Candidate

Trying to see if anyone has ever purchased the Sumitomo HTR ZIII for their IS350? I am in the process of getting some new tires and I do drive a little more on the aggressive side and get roughly 20-25k miles on the set of tires.. I live down in Miami so I deal with rain and crazy drivers from around the world pulling out causing me to do a lot of swerving. I have had the continental DWS which I loved, I have had the Bridgestone Potenza which were awesome too. Only reason why I am looking at the Sumitomos is because they are roughly $400 cheaper than the rest with the same feed back and ratings of the others, and to top it off I am in the thought process of purchasing either a new IS350 or GS350.. Not sure if I want to get car payments again
Old 04-12-14, 04:37 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CubanIS350
Trying to see if anyone has ever purchased the Sumitomo HTR ZIII for their IS350? I am in the process of getting some new tires and I do drive a little more on the aggressive side and get roughly 20-25k miles on the set of tires.. I live down in Miami so I deal with rain and crazy drivers from around the world pulling out causing me to do a lot of swerving. I have had the continental DWS which I loved, I have had the Bridgestone Potenza which were awesome too. Only reason why I am looking at the Sumitomos is because they are roughly $400 cheaper than the rest with the same feed back and ratings of the others, and to top it off I am in the thought process of purchasing either a new IS350 or GS350.. Not sure if I want to get car payments again
The HTR ZIII is a great tire. It has great grip on both wet and dry conditions. I used to have them but now I've upgraded to PSS and I'm enjoying it ovee the HTRs.
Old 04-12-14, 10:40 PM
is3FIFTY
Rookie

I got lucky and got brand new set of tires (Hankook v12 evo ) for $100 on craigslist.. Take a look on there, never know what you will find.
Old 04-14-14, 01:50 PM
CubanIS350
Driver School Candidate

Thanks is3FIFTY and idoke1 for your input. Before I purchase I am going to look over Craigslist but if not most likely will go with the HTRs..
Old 06-07-14, 06:08 PM
bellamoni
Driver School Candidate

Verify what the threadwear indicator is for the tires. I think the ones that come with the vehicle is a 200 threadwear and I just bought Goodyear Eagles with a 560 threadwear. This should imprive the life of your tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus IS 350 Tires