IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Does Homelink work with your rolling code garage opener?
Yes - Works like a charm!
80.68%
No - Can't get the darn thing working!
19.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-14, 12:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Working Homelink with rolling code?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 09:47 AM
Fritzis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a replacement Chamberlain garage door opener and was having difficulty getting my IS to learn the rolling code. After 15 or so tries, here is what I did to make it work (first time!):
1. Clear any previously stored codes in your homelink by pressing both the 1 and 3 buttons on your rearview mirror simultaneously - for about 20 seconds - until the light flashes.
2. Hold the remote for the garage door within an inch or so of the mirror and hold down the homelink button of choice (1, 2 or 3) and then hold down the remote button - simultaneously - until the light on your mirror flashes quickly.
3. Press the Learn button on your garage door motor.
4. Press the homelink button on your mirror - same button you programmed with the remote minutes ago. The garage door opener lights should blink once or twice and you're good to go!
I had tried 2 through 3 above numerous times and it wouldn't work until I first cleared the previously stored code. I then had to reprogram my #2 button for our other garage door, but it was just as easy because I had cleared the previous code.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-07-09, 08:56 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my motorhead device does not have a learn button ... what do i do..
Old 09-26-09, 11:59 PM
hiep92657
Driver School Candidate

I can't get mine to work. I have the old sears brand rolling code type owner.
Attempted to program the remote to the IS
then pushed the learn button on the garage door opener
then pushed the home link button 3x nothing happened
Old 09-27-09, 03:08 PM
98023IS250
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got my car yesterday and after many tries got it to work...

Press the Learn button located on the garage door opener (make sure garage door is up). You will need a step ladder to get to it. Mine is a small red button and once pushed, a light starts flashing.

Press the #1 button under the mirror. 1st time I tried pushing it 3 times as I did not think it took. Then I redid the steps and pressed the # 1 button 6 to 7 times.

Push on the #1 button hard/hold and the garage door should close....

It did with mine.
Old 11-05-10, 06:11 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
My parents have a rolling code and and I almost threw a fit not getting it to work. I did this on my GS and helped a friend do it at his new place in his IS. The key is to 1st follow the instructions on programming the with the remote control, THEN going following the instructions on the "Rolling Code" section. Don't proceed directly to the "Rolling Code" section in the manual.

Program with Remote:

1) Point the remote control for the
device 1 to 3 in. (25 to 75 mm)
from the HomeLink�� control buttons.

2) Press and hold down one of the
buttons on the HomeLink�� and
the button on the transmitter.
When the indicator light on the
HomeLink�� changes from a slow
to a rapid flash after 20 seconds,
you can release both buttons.

3) Test the operation of the
HomeLink�� by pressing the newly
programmed button.

3-b) If programming a garage door
opener, check to see if the garage
door opens and closes. If the
garage door does not operate, see
if your garage transmitter is of the
Rolling Code type. Press and hold
the programmed HomeLink�� button.
The garage door has the rolling
code feature if the indicator
light (on the HomeLink��) flashes
rapidly for 2 seconds and then
remains lit.

Program Rolling Code (After performing above instructions!!!) VERY important!

1) Locate the training button on the ceiling mounted garage door
opener motor. The exact location and color of the button may
vary by brand of garage door opener

2) Press the training button.

3) Press and release the vehicle’s programmed HomeLink�� button
twice. The garage door may open.

If the garage door opens, the programming process is complete. If the
door does not open, press and release the button a third time. This third
press and release will complete the programming process by opening
the garage door. (I had to press 4 times)

The ceiling mounted garage door opener motor should now recognize
the HomeLink�� transceiver and operate the garage door.

Hope this helps!

If I program with the remote (first set of steps only) and everything works, do I still need to go through the rolling code steps?
Old 11-05-10, 06:46 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fredw1
If I program with the remote (first set of steps only) and everything works, do I still need to go through the rolling code steps?
If your garage does not have rolling code then the rolling code step is not necesarry. If it does, then the first set of steps would not of worked, which would of required the rolling code.

Step 3b, would give a hint if yours has rolling code because the light would flash rapidly while non-rolling code codes not.
Old 07-10-11, 10:00 AM
snoopy2624
Driver School Candidate

When programming the Homelink with a Chamberlain Garage Door Opener us the Big remote not the key chain one!!!!!!
Old 01-12-13, 05:16 PM
jjdurrant
Driver

I gave up... never had any issues programming my G35 but I can't get the IS to work.. argh
Old 01-12-13, 06:14 PM
FrictionSc
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just did it and it work for me.
Old 01-12-13, 08:20 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't get this to work with my Craftsman garage door opener for the longest time. I was following the directions in the 2IS to a tee, but it still wouldn't work. I was missing the part where you need to press the "learn" button on the garage door open itself, then press the homelink button on the car. Now it works like a charm!!!!!
Old 01-12-13, 09:30 PM
topspeed55
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fritzis
I just installed a replacement Chamberlain garage door opener and was having difficulty getting my IS to learn the rolling code. After 15 or so tries, here is what I did to make it work (first time!):
1. Clear any previously stored codes in your homelink by pressing both the 1 and 3 buttons on your rearview mirror simultaneously - for about 20 seconds - until the light flashes.
2. Hold the remote for the garage door within an inch or so of the mirror and hold down the homelink button of choice (1, 2 or 3) and then hold down the remote button - simultaneously - until the light on your mirror flashes quickly.
4. Press the homelink button on your mirror - same button you programmed with the remote minutes ago. The garage door opener lights should blink once or twice and you're good to go!
I had tried 2 through 3 above numerous times and it wouldn't work until I first cleared the previously stored code. I then had to reprogram my #2 button for our other garage door, but it was just as easy because I had cleared the previous code.

Hope that helps!
This works, follow it carefully it's how I programmed mine day 1.
Old 01-22-13, 07:22 PM
rfdeitpe
Driver School Candidate

Default es300 garage door opener program; homelink; liftmaster roaming code

OK thought my 2001 lexus es300 was too old but with the help of the others it now works.

Here is what i learned. First turn the car on, not sure if this has anything to do with anything but it cannot hurt.
My garage opener is a liftmaster 1375 roaming code unit with a purple button

The homelink in my car is 3-buttons in the visor with a small red light. Clear everything by holding down the 2-outside buttons for at least 30 seconds, the light will be solid at first and then begin to blink after about 30 seconds, be pantient and wait, when the light starts to blink let off the buttons and your homelink is clear
Next, bring your hand remote opener in the car and hold this button down within inches of the visor and then press the button you want to program in your homelink, continue to hold both these buttons down till the red homelink lite starts to flash, then you can release the handheld remote button and then the homelink button.
Your not done, go to the garage door motor unit and press the purple button one time for 1-second. An indicator light will come on and you have 30 seconds or so to get back to your homelink and select the button you had programmed earlier. Push this homelink button once then twice, and you should see the garage door activated. yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that you know how to program one of the buttons, program all three so you don't have to remember which one was programmed.

The above probally has some extra steps but it works, hope it helps let me know.
Old 05-30-13, 08:46 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fritzis

Hope that helps!
When I bought my house 2 years ago, I took a whole day trying to get the homelink to work with my chamberlain elite.

Gave it another try today.....this method worked for me.
Old 12-05-13, 09:11 AM
ashabbas
Driver School Candidate

I found this page when trying to program my Highlander 2013. My guess is that all the Homelink programming should work the same. The directions in my manual are identical to everything that was mentioned here. I seems that most people are having issues with the rolling code openers. I too had issues getting it to click (no pun intended).

This is what worked for me:
1) First program the remote to one of the Homelink buttons by holding them close (1-3 inches) and simultaneously until the light on the Homelink blinks rapidly. Once it does you're done with this.

2) Next press the Learn button in the garage opener. In my Chamberlain opener it looks like a small square button. If your labels aren't pealed off inside, it is clearly labeled "Learn".

3) You have 30 secs to get back into your car and do the next step.

4) This is where it was a bit different for me (frustrating as hell!). The directions say to press the button twice. I was pushing it too quickly! Press and hold for 1-2secs TWICE. Each press should be 1-2secs long. That was the trick. Once I did that my Chamberlain garage opener made a clicking sound immediately. This confirms the garage opener learned the programming.

5) Opening and closing you must hold for 1-2secs allowing the Homelink light to flicker sending signal/codes to the opener. Again, this is where I was failing even after programming. It took me several attempts to figure out what the hell was wrong.

I guess with these types of garage openers and Homelink it takes a 1-2sec press to program and when opening/closing the garage door.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-28-14, 12:50 PM
DvsWun
Driver School Candidate

Wow, finally. Got this to work on my 2IS but wouldn't work on my Toyota truck. This did the trick.

Quick Reply: Working Homelink with rolling code?