IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Accident! Tips on how to navigate this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-14, 03:35 PM
maniacbob
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident! Tips on how to navigate this?

So I recently got into a fender bender. It was my fault because my car slid on ice and hit a car at red light. I now need new front bumper and grill. My insurance is GEICO. I just spoke to a rep and told her I'd rather choose my own repair shop, but I first have to have their adjuster look at the damage next week and cut me a check.

How should I navigate this so I don't get short changed? I also hope I can get OEM parts. Should I go to a lexus certified collision center to get an estimate first before I go to the geico adjuster? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-25-14, 03:39 PM
jkenn6
Driver

I woud take it to their certified body shop. I went through an ordeal with my last car bringing it my own body shop and the body shop didn't repair quickly and my rental was up so insurance pretty much said "hey its your body shop, there slacking, your on your own paying for extended rental" and also if you have a problem with the repair then you can at least blame your insurance and have it redone until right.
Good luck
Old 02-25-14, 03:46 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A good reputable body shop do better work than a Lexus certified shop. Find a good shop on Geico's network and have them sort out the finances. You can ask the shop directly to fight for oem parts for you. You must see an adjuster, but do not get a check from him because additional damage often show up during repairs.
Old 02-25-14, 04:21 PM
maniacbob
Driver

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm hesitant because they suggested abra auto body, which is not that great.
Old 02-25-14, 05:17 PM
freal
Driver

i got into a fender bender aswell some time ago with my 350, my fault aswell. only my bumper was damaged so i took the money that they gave me i had a friend of mine that paints in a bodyshop paint a bumper that i odered for alot cheaper than what a bodyshop would have charged me. and installed it back onto my car with no problems. its ultimatley up to you. your insurance should have givin you a list of body shops. to get it appraised at. if you choose to have the body shop to repair then you just pay your deductable. but definatley do your research on the shops first.
Old 02-25-14, 06:58 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

you can take it anywhere you want then call the insurance and tell them where the car is and they will send a adjuster to look at the car. They will often use LKQ stuff (OEM recycle, new aftermarket) stuff. Make sure you get the list of stuff there going to replace and talk to your the person thats taking care of your car at the bodyshop or talking to your adjuster to use OEM stuff.
Old 02-26-14, 05:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maniacbob
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm hesitant because they suggested abra auto body, which is not that great.
They should have more than just one recommended shop. Tell them you haven't had a good experience with that shop, and you'd like to use a different one. If you have a few shops you like, ask Geico if any of them are on their approved list.
Old 02-26-14, 08:17 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They should have other shops and look them upon customer satisfaction. The parts you claim to be damaged aren't too bad. There are replica bumpers but not sure in a grille. The Classifieds is where you can get parts. I have an oem grille I'll sell you if you want. 06'-09'. This shouldn't be too stressful. Good luck.
Old 02-26-14, 09:05 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Were there any structural damages? If not, you could just order the pre-painted parts and fix them yourself. I am pretty sure you could even upgrade the front bumper to fsport or facelift from not having to pay labor costs.
Old 02-26-14, 02:10 PM
maniacbob
Driver

I was thinking of that too. I need to take it to a body shop regardless to see if there are extensive damages that I might not be able to see, and get an estimate from them and then take it to the adjuster to see what they say.

Thanks for the tips and advice guys. Very informative.
Old 03-10-14, 05:14 AM
freal
Driver

How did it turn out for you? Did you let a bodyshop recover your baby?