Print Wikipost

DIY aftermarket amp power wire install step by step with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 10:35 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kumquatism
I didn't drive my car to work today so I cant get you a picture of my actual tapping, but the wires are found on the 3rd connector from the rear of the car. For non ML, they were the first 4 wires from the front of the connector. I only tapped one set though. I believe they were brown+ green- pink+ and blue- wires, and I tapped the brown/green set.

I dug up a pic that I took (terrible quality), and I drew a circle around the ones to tap:

Hope this helps!!
thanks for the pics, that helps a lot. But aren't you suppose to tap both sets since your subs are dual whatchamacallit. Wouldn't tapping only one set affect the sound output/quality?
Old 06-29-11, 10:41 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dual voice coils? All we really need is the signal from the stock amplifier; I don't really see a need to hook both sets of wire up, as they're outputting the same signal. IDK, it's kinda hard to explain...this was only my 4th time wiring up a system, and the first time doing it with a stock amp involved...
Old 06-29-11, 11:55 AM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

Dual voice coils? All we really need is the signal from the stock amplifier; I don't really see a need to hook both sets of wire up, as they're outputting the same signal. IDK, it's kinda hard to explain...this was only my 4th time wiring up a system, and the first time doing it with a stock amp involved...
i see, i'll give it a try. do you know if it matters where you plug it in the loc? because if know it has R&L front and R&L rear.
Old 06-29-11, 12:43 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

What do you mean? I'll try to get a picture today or tomorrow, or you can use sushiboi's pictures to see. Each pair of wires tapped goes to a channel on the LOC. I used a 4 channel LOC, but using 3 channels, one for subwoofer, one for right woofer, and the other for left woofer. If i was to plug in the additional sub wires (pink+blue), they would go in the last channel.
Old 06-29-11, 01:31 PM
aznpapaya
Lead Lap

What do you mean? I'll try to get a picture today or tomorrow, or you can use sushiboi's pictures to see. Each pair of wires tapped goes to a channel on the LOC. I used a 4 channel LOC, but using 3 channels, one for subwoofer, one for right woofer, and the other for left woofer. If i was to plug in the additional sub wires (pink+blue), they would go in the last channel.
Thats what i was going to do at first, but mistasc told me that I do not need to tap the front L&R woofer. I just need to tap the stock subs. thats why I was asking whether or not it matter where you plug the stock subs wires into the LOC. I purchase the same LOC as the OP.

I'm getting advice some different people who's telling me to do different things. I think i'll just tap everything
Old 06-29-11, 02:21 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

You don't have to tap the woofers. I didn't at first because I ran out of tap splices. If you have a pretty critical ear, you can notice a difference between the sub and sub+R&L woofer, but for the most part, you won't miss it if you don't tap it. It's hard to tune if you do tap both though...as the subwoofer signal is much stronger than the front woofers. You'd need to adjust the gain ***** on the LOC to send more power from the front woofers taps to even out the signal.
Old 07-03-11, 12:39 AM
06tpis350
Driver

Originally Posted by tt061880
Hi everyone, I've just updated the negative/positve leads for the front left/right and sub wires. Thanks to Batmobile for PM'ed me or else I would never realized that I left out such important informations, I apologize for forgetting to put that infos in there.

In regarding the wiring for the stock sub, it has two set of wires since it's a dual voice coil. I have the ML sub but if I was to do it on the stock sub, i'll input each set of wire into the LOC and then sum the output at the end. Please let me know if I'm missing anything for this DIY, i'll update it so it can be easier to follow in the future, thanks.
Hello please pm me back or post info? which other 2 color wires are the sub woofer? You have stated the brown + and Lime green - and right front woofer is pink - and brown + The left front is red - and white +. All this wire will go into the loc? and i just have to fallow the diagram on the loc on which speaker wire that is stated. Then i will use the 2 Y rca into one. which give me the left and right rca? (Your picture kind of confused me? The left side of the loc had the y rca which right rear and left rear and then right side of the loc only has one rca hook up which is the left front) and the pink wire is the remote. Please anybody quote me to the right direction and make me understand this better? By the way i have ML amp and my ML sub woofer is blown. I am planning to cut the sub woofer wires from my ML amp directly and hooking it up to the loc. Because i dont know how to disconnect the ML sub. Tell me if this will be ok..Thanks CL and have a great 4th July!!
Old 07-03-11, 01:39 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

You have an ML system; there is only 1 set of subwoofer wires. Non ML have two sets of sub wires. To disconnect the sub, you remove the rear seat and pop up the rear deck a bit (no need to remove the whole thing). You can reach in just enough to pull the plug on the subwoofer. I'd rather do that than cut all the sub wires, just in case in the future you decide to go back or something.

I don't understand what you're asking about with all the RCA stuff, so maybe someone else can help chime in on that.

Here's how to remove the seats:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-cluster.html
Old 07-03-11, 08:05 AM
06tpis350
Driver

You have an ML system; there is only 1 set of subwoofer wires. Non ML have two sets of sub wires. To disconnect the sub, you remove the rear seat and pop up the rear deck a bit (no need to remove the whole thing). You can reach in just enough to pull the plug on the subwoofer. I'd rather do that than cut all the sub wires, just in case in the future you decide to go back or something.

I don't understand what you're asking about with all the RCA stuff, so maybe someone else can help chime in on that.

Here's how to remove the seats:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-cluster.html
Thanks again bro for your info!! Now I need somebody to clear up the RCA part? Anybody cl? Thank you again!!
Old 07-07-11, 11:18 PM
06tpis350
Driver

Originally Posted by 06tpis350
Thanks again bro for your info!! Now I need somebody to clear up the RCA part? Anybody cl? Thank you again!!
Bump to question anybody please help cl?
Old 07-08-11, 09:08 PM
ttiangco
Driver

Ok guys I've tried read all 9 pages and I've tried to follow as best as I could! So I bought a 2 channel loc (not a scosche) ran my wire from my battery to the back. My ML sub was blown so I rdisconnected it and ran wires from that to my loc. I then grounded my loc by the oem amp. I ran the power from the battery to the aftermarket amp. On my loc (output) going to my aftermarket amp I ran a wire going to power, ground, and remote. Then from my amp the RCA cables to the sub. Now have i missed anything!?!?! I read people talking about the orange wire but I didn't use it! Any help would be amazing
Old 07-08-11, 09:30 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Did you start up the system? what inputs are you running into the loc
Old 07-08-11, 09:34 PM
ttiangco
Driver

I havnt plugged the power to the battery yet. I'm too scared. The brown and green wire are running to the input of the loc. Also I didn't hook it up to the batter yet because i didn't know how to use the fuse..I'm a noob.
Old 07-08-11, 11:52 PM
ttiangco
Driver

Ok I just tested it and nothin! the amp is not turning on! I'm pretty confused and stumped at the moment. I think it's my ground..help!
Old 07-09-11, 12:22 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Your fuse should be on the power wires, preferably sitting in your engine bay (about 1ft of wire from it to the battery).

It could be either your ground or your remote wire.
Here's a quick wiring diagram I just drew:
Name:  subwooferwiring.jpg
Views: 9473
Size:  28.9 KB

I believe you have several choices for the remote wire...I used the orange wire on the 3rd connector, but I don't have ML, so I'm not sure if the wires are the same.

Where are you grounded? I have my ground wire on the chassis of the car behind the rear seats.

Quick Reply: DIY aftermarket amp power wire install step by step with pictures