IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealership Scratched My Tint!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 08:57 PM
johnAboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealership Scratched My Tint!

so i've just run into the same issue that most people who have tinted their 2ISs have had...Wiper Flipping

definitely not the worst part of the story. i took it into my dealer just so they could flip the wiper out so that i don't hear that ANNOYING screeching sound when rolling the windows back up. mind you, this has happened before, and the service tech successfully flipped it back out within a matter of seconds.

when i brought it in this time the lady i spoke to said she'd get someone to do the job. i walked over to the passenger side of my car to see if the wipers had flipped on that window, and in the blink of an eye the tech had walked up to the driver side door (not saying a word to me) and sticks in some pin tool (god knows what it's used for), and starts scrapping inside to flip it out...no questions asked

long story short the genius scratches my tint, leaving a 4inch scratch on my window = tint is ruined he rolls the window up and seeing that it's scratched says, "oh, you have tints...that's not covered under warranty"

i just pause for a bit...confused/shocked/pissed off. then he and the lady say "there's nothing we can do about it" and slowly begin to walk away. great service right?? no apology either

main point of this post is to ask if i should go back and speak to a manager to see if they'll cover it or what should i do about the situation? sorry about the venting, and appreciate any/all responses
Old 03-29-07, 04:30 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, you should never have moved that car from that spot and you should have hauled the service manager, along with the goof ball technician, and sorted it out right then and there. Going back now is going to make it more difficult to get resolution. But I wouldn't let it pass. Confront them today.
Old 03-29-07, 05:15 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The way I see it, maybe tint is not covered under warranty but it sure should be covered under their insurance policy. Just because they work on the car doesn't mean they can damage your property without consequence. Just as if you took the car to a stereo shop and the installer gouged your leather because he had a screw driver in his back pocket. I wouldn't have left the dealership without having the manager and even the GM look at the damage and talk to you. Being that you left it will be a little harder for resolution, but like mentioned above I'd still give it a try.
Old 03-29-07, 05:36 AM
donm3ga
Rookie

The dealership is liable for that damage done to your car in my opinion. If they were a half way decent dealership they should resolve it at your request. Go back up there and complain to someone to see if you can get something done because that is just wrong. GL man. Battles with the dealership are usually tiring.
Old 03-29-07, 06:17 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not justifying the dealer's actions, but why didn't you insist that the tint shop do it right and not leave an issue that required dealer repair???

It's not the dealer's responsibility to repair problems caused by others under warranty. I think they were trying to fix the problem as a goodwill gesture to you, and it ended up scratching the tint.

Good luck with this one...it's going to get messy.
Old 03-29-07, 06:35 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 15951
I'm not justifying the dealer's actions, but why didn't you insist that the tint shop do it right and not leave an issue that required dealer repair???

It's not the dealer's responsibility to repair problems caused by others under warranty. I think they were trying to fix the problem as a goodwill gesture to you, and it ended up scratching the tint.

Good luck with this one...it's going to get messy.
I could be wrong, but liability doesn't work that way. Even if the owner should have gone back to the tint shop to have that rubber strip pulled back up (This is actually common practice when dealing with new tint) he went to the dealer and the dealer assumed the responsibility once they agreed to perform the work. The dealer scratched the tint, so the dealer is liable. The dealer very well could have turned the owner away and directed him back to his tint shop, but they didn't and assumed the liability. This isn't a warranty issue but a liability issue. Just as if the dealer curbed your aftermarket rims, they are liable. At least that is how I understand it. Of course, I'm no lawyer so I could be completey wrong
Old 03-29-07, 06:42 AM
donm3ga
Rookie

Legal issue or not, a good dealership that cares about their customers will take care of any damage done on their part. Customer service is a big part of buying a car these days. I hope dealers understand that.
Old 03-29-07, 07:21 AM
r4z0r3ck
Lead Lap

dude what are you thinking not asking for the supervisor or service manager right then and there. once you moved the car off the dealership then it can get real messy because now you have to prove to them that they scratched your tint. if the tech and lady denies it then you're out of luck. but oh well a tint job for 1 window is prolly only 40 bux or so.
Old 03-29-07, 07:35 AM
04lrg
Driver

Originally Posted by johnAboy
so i've just run into the same issue that most people who have tinted their 2ISs have had...Wiper Flipping

definitely not the worst part of the story. i took it into my dealer just so they could flip the wiper out so that i don't hear that ANNOYING screeching sound when rolling the windows back up. mind you, this has happened before, and the service tech successfully flipped it back out within a matter of seconds.

when i brought it in this time the lady i spoke to said she'd get someone to do the job. i walked over to the passenger side of my car to see if the wipers had flipped on that window, and in the blink of an eye the tech had walked up to the driver side door (not saying a word to me) and sticks in some pin tool (god knows what it's used for), and starts scrapping inside to flip it out...no questions asked
Ok, i did a search for "wiper flipping" and only return this post. What the heck is "wiper flipping"?
Old 03-29-07, 08:19 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 04lrg
Ok, i did a search for "wiper flipping" and only return this post. What the heck is "wiper flipping"?
Took me a second to figure out The felt strips on the window sills flip inside when the window is rolled down because the tint makes the window too think for the "wiper".
Old 03-29-07, 08:37 AM
ngogsr
Driver

just give general manager a call n complain
Old 03-29-07, 09:30 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

it's recommended that window tint be protected with a thin layer of silicone lubricant spray. ArmorAll works, too; just be sure to wipe off the excess to avoid leaving a white film.
Old 03-29-07, 09:36 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What dealership was this? I have to make sure I never go there.
Old 03-29-07, 10:13 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The dealer is not responsible for a poor or incorrect tint job. The tint installer should have adjuster the wiper. If I put on after-market product X that interferes with an OEM part. I don't expect Lexus to modify the OEM part. Just logic. You should have had the tint shop adjust the wiper in the first place. Consider this a learning experience.
Old 03-29-07, 10:25 AM
donm3ga
Rookie

Yes you learned that you went to an A-hole dealer.

Quick Reply: Dealership Scratched My Tint!